Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Koss PortaPro Headphones with Case › Reviews › BBBS's Review

Not bad, but I don't get all the fuss

A Review On: Koss PortaPro  Headphones with Case

Koss PortaPro Headphones with Case

Rated # 100 in Headphones
BBBS
Posted · 2426 Views · 1 Comment

Pros: Decent sound

Cons: They will try and eat your head

I bought these on a whim and a good vibe that they'd be my best headphones ever, and they're not bad. It's just that coming from better headphones and good IEMs, they don't particularly impress. Half the stuff at this price point sounds as good as these, and some of those are more comfortable and closed back. What you're getting for your 40 or so bucks is some very cheaply made headphones that will grab your hair and press on you ears and head in unusual places. The foam will also disintegrate in a few years; it will literally fall apart, but at least getting replacements from eBay is extremely cheap and easy.

These things do include a lifetime warranty, but you may find that it's easier to buy more than to mess with shipping and getting them returned.

In their favour they do impress me each time I use them, but invariably the little hook used for clipping the headband to itself will start to gnaw my ear, or I'll adjust them and cause the spring loaded comfort setting to alter, which has to be set each and every time you put them on anyway. Then after a few hours use over a couple of days they get forgotten again.

They do look cool, and everybody here should own a pair, but I do get a little tired with how much they're vaunted.

1 Comment:

out of curiosity,what other headphones for $40 or less perform as well as the portapro? i ask because i believe their hype is well deserved. i do agree they could have a better design especially concerning the headband ,but i absolutely love mine and use them every bit as often as my sennheiser amperior,beyerdynamic dt 770 and v moda m-80 all of which retail for 5 to 8 times as much as the portapro's . i'm not saying that there aren't other cans in the $40 range that may perform as well as the portapro, just that i would genuinely like to know specifically which brand and model as i really enjoy various sound signatures in my hp collection and especially when i can find a great sounding pair for a great price.and i can't think of any other company who offer a limited lifetime warranty so that is definitely a boon.to me the portapro are unbeatable for price to performance ratio.