Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Koss PortaPro Headphones with Case

Koss PortaPro Headphones with Case

Rated #149 in Headphones

Pros: sound signature is mega fun, and quite surprising for a small supra-aural set of phones

Cons: headband pinches hair, look dorky to some

wow!  am i really the first to write a review for the venerable portapro??

the portapro is an age old design, but has held up over the years, despite newer portable cans coming along.  and perhaps it is the very age of the design that keeps people coming back to it.  what with its alnico magnets and paper diaphrams.  and it's weird retro look.  and its mega fun sound!!!

yep, the sound is fun.  the portapros have a nice, punchy sound.  and great bass for a small supra-aural set of phones.  they are great for pop, rock, hip/hop and the like.

the comfort is okay.  the temple pads are supposed to releive some of the pressure of the ear pads, but i find that they don't really do this much for me.  also, the adjusting metal headband is prone to catch your hair and can hurt when it does this.

overall, for $30 to $40 street price, these are such a wonderful product, and very enthusastically endorsed by me.  (as i'm sure they will be by others here.)

a classic!  and with reason!!

Pros: value, sound, modification possibilities, aesthetics

Cons: flimsy cable with little/no stress relief and that is very hard to replace, they can pinch hairs when left stock

I love the sound of these portable headphones, a good step above all the stock earbuds that come with players nowadays. The sound sig is great out of the box and I believe it improves some with some burn in.

You can also mod them quite a bit with various mods such as the quarter mod, kramer mod, and hd414 pad mod.

However, the cable is reaaallly the pits.. It used to be better, now I honestly cannot recommend them to anybody.

If you do buy them, and when they do break.. Buy a pair of sportapros to replace the drivers and cable.. I do NOT recommend trying to recable them.. or sending them in to KOSS unless you like waiting forever and jumping through hoops and paying shipping.

Pros: Portable, comfortable, good bass, price, good for all genres, cool retro-styling, build quality for price, durable, lifetime warranty, PRICE.

Cons: They leak sound both in and out, looks somewhat cheap, bass heaviness (for some), some will find this retro design ugly, lots of little things.

I have owned these for about a year, and since I've bought them they have been my go-to headphone. They can fit in my backpack super easily cause they're pretty small, and in fact they can (technically) fit in some of my looser pants pockets (DISCLAIMER: you will look like a dork if you tote them in your pants pocket, especially if you have tight pants. Don't say I didn't warn you). Over those 13 months, this pair of headphones has certainly won a place in my backpack, desk, and on my ears for years to come.

Whether or not you like the styling is all personal preference. I personally dig the styling, since I am a sucker for retro designs. It is evident in the visual aesthetics of this headphone have not been changed at all since they were introduced by Koss in 1984. However, some people I know who I have shown the headphones to don't like the design. I would encourage you to find these headphones before you buy, or if that is not an option look at photographs of it from multiple angles to make a verdict. If you are a hipster, don't even bother reading the rest of this review, or looking at the headphones at all before you buy them because they are quintessentially hipster; in fact, buy a dozen for your hipster friends too, they'll love the style.

These headphones, weighing in at only 60 grams, is very comfortable for long listening periods. While some people have complained about pressure on their temples over time, I have never really had that issue, even if I listen for 5 hours straight. the earcups have literally no cushion, but since the (puny) clamping force is directed more so towards the temples that is not an issue at all. Same goes for the solid metal, non-cusioned headband, since the weight of the headphone is so small. They are light to the point that I can almost forge they're on my head, and they are totally not a hindrance at all while walking. Just don't run with these on, though (or jump, or skip, or do a handstand), since these have a tendency to shift around.

The sound of the PortaPros really surprised me when I first listened to them out of the box. To summarize, they are definitely bass-heavy, but the mids and treble are still present. These little headphones have very good bass, which is very nice for genres like Rap or Techno. The bass is both deep and loud and yet tight at the same time. While these headphones are definitely bass-heavy, the mids and highs are certainly solid as well. They have a pretty good soundstage due to their semi-open design, although nobody will be mistaking them for the Sennheiser Orpheus any time soon. The thing I like the most about the sound is that it is well-rounded enough for any genre. I can enjoy both Biggie Smalls AND the Berlin Philharmonic on them, which is not something which can be said about other headphones at this price.

In terms of sound quality, no other on-ear headphone below $50 (that I have tried) is even close to being as good as the Koss Portapros. The highly-popular $20 Sony ZX series headphones may be a little cheaper that the PortaPros, but the portaPros have significantly more bass and much more clarity than the Sony's. The JVC Flats are a good value at $12, but the Koss PortaPros are a clear step up. Skullcandy Uprock, at $30, has good bass as well, but the bass is not as tight as on the PortaPros and the mids on the Uprocks are not as good (in fact, mids on the Uprocks don't even exist, they are so bad of a purchase that the government thought about banning them from sale, but ultimately decided that listening to them would be punishment enough). I even found them better than the UrbanEars Plattans, which are more expensive at $60. The cheapest on-ear headphones which I have liked better are the Grado Labs SR60e, which are $80.

And now, for the more cynical section of this review. The biggest con of these headphones, by far, is that they leak. A lot. Sound waves are free to stroll both in and our of the PortaPros. This is to be expected, due to their semi-open design. If isolation is a priority, I recommend that you check out the Panasonic RP-HTX7 ($30), the Audio Technica ATH-M20x ($50), or the Koss Prodj 100's ($45).

While these are a great value, there is certainly evidence that these are not a high-end set of cans. There are just tons of little things which are annoying about this headphone which can remind you that you bought a $35 headphone, not a $300+ one. The cord is very thin, and thus it tangles super easily and the cord has kinks in it from just folding it up over and over. The headband adjustment sliders can get caught in your hair pretty easily if your hair is longer. The headphones don't stay in place on my head very easily, even when I have the (pointless, by the way) comfort slider set to "firm". They certainly look and feel like sub-$50 headphones when you pick you up, despite the use of solid materials. For an in-line mic and remote, you have to pay another $20, which puts it in competition with more competent headphones at the $50-$100 price range.

Nitpicks aside, I very highly recommend this headphone for anyone looking for good on-ear headphones on a tight budget. They have very respectable sound which is good for any genre, impressive portability, super cool retro-styling (in my opinion), and exceptionally low price. And one other thing I didn't mention: this headphone has a lifetime warranty from Koss. I highly recommend this headphone to anyone who is not an avid audiophile, a frequent flier (or Britney Spears listener), or fitness nut.

Pros: durable, light, sounds great for price bracket, doesn't need amping, lifetime warranty

Cons: lack of isolation, supplied storage bag is to small, more sparkle in highs needed

Final impressions below, please feel free to ask any questions

Pros: Price, bass quality, design, friendly and fun attitude, wear and forget nature, upgrade their performance by themselves (read below)

Cons: CORD - ridiculously weak, construction (read below),

This piece of classy designed headphones that exists more then 20 years on the market is a very, very good choice for both home and mobile listening of music.  So let me get this strength - for the price of 35-40$ you won`t find anything better, like really, these headphones will surprise you with quality of what you hear from your either PC or phone, they get only 1 competor on the market, the Sennheiser PX100 that are also a very-decent pair of headphones, but they are more mature, neutral sounding then the PP`s which may be not exactly what you looking for.

Let`s discuss the pros:

Price - pretty obvious, price is friendly, even a little bit low considering the sound quality that you hear for 35$

Bass quality - these headphones are all about bass, that why i bought them the second time, that is a little harsh for your ears at the very first (especially, if you didn`t had expensive headphones) but as you will use them -> it will be more flexible, more soft, but strangely, after a couple of moths it will settle itself as decent amount of mediocre, muddy bass that will make you seek something better.

Design - this is a very personal stuff, but i like it for minimalism and comfort it provides for me as wearer.

Wear-and-forget nature - they are so light, especially after you use them a month or two that i find myself amused and angry when i stand up and tear the plug from an external sound card, so please remember to take them off :)

Upgrade performance by themselves: By that i mean that they will sound better with external sound card and yes, they won`t magically turn into Denon D2000, Sennheiser HD-650 or even something like HD-598, but they will improve a little depending on price of the card.

Now it is time for CONS:

CORD - it is one of the major flaws in the construction, try not to bend it without need or it will become a very easy to break (first pair of PP`s suffered from this), don`t expose it to low temperatures (everything below minus 15-20 celsius is a major threat to cord condition) or it will become sturdy and not as easy to fold. Also, cord attachement to the driver is also weak -> don`t hang the phones by the cord, don`t twist them as if it was rubber or you will find that yourself with soldering-iron in no time!

Construction - as i mentioned before -> construction is what makes them light and comfortable, BUT, it is also a MAJOR flaw. I found out this the hard way, so please, carefully take them off, carefully place them where they won`t fall or you will see that 1-2mm plastic ball that makes them adapt to your ear shape is broken and you`ll have to fix them.

Overall: Excellent headphones for portable use with either phone or mp3 player if you are willing to take care of them to prevent the possible issues.

Pros: Inexpensive, great sound signature, big bass, clear mids/trebles

Cons: Retro look for some.

First impression? Wow.

So glad I joined Head-Fi! If I hadn't I don't know if I would have been turned on to these classic phones. Great sound, lifetime warranty, great comfort, oh and did I mention the no-questions asked warranty?!

For the record, I've got the KTC model (for iThings) and the controls and sound for calls is right inline with the rest of the product. What a wonderful pair. Thank you Mr. Koss!

Pros: Great sound, inexpensive, lightweight, open ear, retro looks.

Cons: A bit fragile.

I'm on my third pair of PortaPros over the last 12 years. My last two units have either suffered a rattle that eventually became irreparable or something terrible happened to them (left in a car seat in the sun, crushed by a contractor's pelican case).

I never question buying them again, though, because I love the sound so much and they're so damn cheap! In my opinion they rival all the headphones in their class (including the Senn PX100's which I also own) and many larger 'phones. They have a depth and clarity that I really enjoy listening to, and the open design means that I can still hear everything around me while I have music playing, which makes them perfect for the office or walking city streets (where I still want to hear what's going on around me).

Love these things!

Pros: Decent sound

Cons: They will try and eat your head

I bought these on a whim and a good vibe that they'd be my best headphones ever, and they're not bad. It's just that coming from better headphones and good IEMs, they don't particularly impress. Half the stuff at this price point sounds as good as these, and some of those are more comfortable and closed back. What you're getting for your 40 or so bucks is some very cheaply made headphones that will grab your hair and press on you ears and head in unusual places. The foam will also disintegrate in a few years; it will literally fall apart, but at least getting replacements from eBay is extremely cheap and easy.

These things do include a lifetime warranty, but you may find that it's easier to buy more than to mess with shipping and getting them returned.

In their favour they do impress me each time I use them, but invariably the little hook used for clipping the headband to itself will start to gnaw my ear, or I'll adjust them and cause the spring loaded comfort setting to alter, which has to be set each and every time you put them on anyway. Then after a few hours use over a couple of days they get forgotten again.

They do look cool, and everybody here should own a pair, but I do get a little tired with how much they're vaunted.

Pros: everything sound quality deep bass durable (lifetime warranty)

Cons: none (some may not dig the design but i do)

these are the best portable HEADPHONES ever these phones sound.......... to good for comfort do not miss out on these are wonderful

Pros: good bass, comfort, warranty

Cons: construction, not really handsome, hooks hurt your ears :(

This is my 1st headphone. It was amazing experience for me, since i did not own any headphone in the past. I liked it but after 3 months, the jack got separated from the outer covering. I did not go outside with it, but I can not hear the left side of the headphone. I am currently preparing to return the headphone using the warranty they gave me. It was such a short experience but the sound was good. ._.

Koss PortaPro Headphones with Case
By:

Dynamic element design for deep bass performance; Comfort zone setting on temporal pad for comfortable, secure fit; Multi-pivoting earplates and adjustable headband for added comfort; Collapsible for maximum portability when listening on the go; Includes convenient carrying case; Includes 1/8" and 1/4" stereo plugs for home and portable use; Straight, dual entry 4 foot cord; Frequency response: 15-25,000 Hz.

BindingElectronics
UPC021299147764
Batteries Included0
Is Autographed0
Is Memorabilia0
Legal DisclaimerWarranty does not cover misuse of product.
WarrantyLimited lifetime warranty