Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Klipsch Reference S4 Premium In-Ear Noise-Isolating Headphones (Black)

Klipsch Reference S4 Premium In-Ear Noise-Isolating Headphones (Black)

Rated #144 in Universal Fit

Pros: "Tappy" bass (not sure if it's a good thing), comfort, lightweightness, wide soundstage

Cons: harsh treble, cable

Hi guys, this is my first review. So plz be easy on the replies thx.

So the Reference S4s........

BASS: Boomy out of the box, but after some burn-in, it is more recessed and like i said, it feels tappy compared to my TF10s.

MIDS:Rather recessed, a bit of nonexistent feel, but isn'tconfused_face(1).gif

HIGHS:Harsh and lightly piercing. Burning-in shall solve this though

SOUNDSTAGE: Well, of course not TF10-scale, but things like seperation and width are well done for the pricing.

VERDICT: Great value for $95.99,best for genres like Pop, dubstep, rock, EDM etc.

Pros: Isolation, Fit

Cons: Fragile stock wiring

I purchased these headphones on a whim for use at work. I was working (at the time) in a production warehouse and frequently outdoors calibrating product.

Often I spent my entire workday isolated and would wear these for 8+ hours multiple times a week.

Within three months (of admittedly very active use) the stock wiring at the plug had broken but a quick resoldering to a much nicer plug has resulted in setup without a single hiccup since.

Highs are clear, mids are distinct and the bass is crisp. I have never run these with a DAC or amplifier (just starting to dip my toes in the audiophile waters) but driving these from my cell results in a very pleasurable listening experience.

I have read that some people have issues with the fit but for me there was no problem at all. There are two different ways to wear these headphones, either with the wires wrapped back over the top of your ears or with the wires dangling (like most cheap earbuds).

I usually wear them wrapped over the top of my ears and this probably helps with any physical listening fatigue from the weight of the wires. When wearing them like standard earbuds I find that the music loses much of it's quality because the headphones are oriented in a manner that directs audio differently down the ear canal. The easy remedy is to simply wear the left headphone in my right ear and vice versa. I realize that this isn't the intended use but doing this results in the same listening experience for me.

So in conclusion, from some average lay-person perspective, these are some great headphones. In hindsight I realize that I could have probably invested in better headphones for the price I payed, but I am very happy with the purchase.

I actually don't own these anymore, though. They were stolen while I was traveling abroad. I've been reading through head-fi over the last few weeks trying to plan my replacement to these headphones and I'm excited about taking my next step into the world of high fidelity audio equipment. I've changed careers and am purchasing for mostly at home or travel listening so I think some over-ear headphones will be next. The ATH-M50's seem like something everyone should own but the appearance of those JVC-S500's (or S400's) is extremely intriguing to me....

Klipsch Reference S4 Premium In-Ear Noise-Isolating Headphones (Black)

Sometimes your favorite band follows you. The Klipsch Reference S4 In-ear Headphones manage to utilize everything you know and love about Reference floorstanding speakers in consolidated, portable form. Notice the copper accents. Appreciate the upgraded, home theater-style cables. Listen closely, and you can hear the patented headphone technology, award winning Reference performance and 65 years of Klipsch know-how surrounding you.Features:Superior noise-isolating design Patented oval ear tips for unbeatable comfort Delivers smooth sound with enhanced bass Durable home theater style cables with built-in strain relief Available in a sleek black with signature Reference copper accents 2 Year Limited WarrantySpecificationsAccessories: 4 different-sized ear tips, storage case, clothing clip Design: Dynamic Moving Coil Micro Speaker Dimensions: 8.5mm diameter Drive Components: Full range KG 25 Finish: Black with copper accents Frequency Response: 10Hz â?" 19KHz Input Connections: 3.5mm Noise Isolation: -16 Nominal Impedance: 18-ohm Sensativity: 110db SPL/mW Weight: 11.9 grams

BindingElectronics
BrandKlipsch
EAN0743878023541
FeatureDelivers smooth sound with enhanced bass
Height7 inches
Product GroupCE
Product Type NameCONSUMER_ELECTRONICS
PublisherKlipsch
StudioKlipsch
TitleKlipsch Reference S4 Premium In-Ear Noise-Isolating Headphones (Black)
UPC743878023541