Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › JVC HA-FX101

JVC HA-FX101

Rated #117 in Universal Fit

Pros: Sound good and good bass

Cons: ear piercing at high volume after like 20 hour.. I mean damn i want to throw them away it hurt!

They sound nice and have lot of bass..

the wire is cheap but did not break for now but for intensive use im sure it will....

The treble is killing my ear seriously i may have got a bad one or something but  i listen loud and these get worse treble the louder you play them... sometime i want to throw them aways it hurt...

I try to run them at full blast for some day to see if they will be better...

Pros: Extremely good for the price, great for amateur bassheads, look better than average

Cons: Build Quality

I had the FX101s for a short period of time and I was really enjoying them. That was until something went wrong in the left earbud. Most say its a cable connection fault. No matter what, build quality is a cause for concern in these, especially the cable. The plastic body although makes them light, also makes them more susceptible to damage. Since they were gone I got the JVC FX1X instead. A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. Much more refined sound, even punchier bass and way better build. If planning to get the 101s please do consider the 1Xs as well. But if you are new to earphones, the 101s remain my recommendation.

Pros: Fairly clean bass, break in time repairs sound hiccups, low price.

Cons: Sparkly treble, cord feels cheap, mids slightly recessed.

When I received these earbuds I was not expecting much. I read reviews on the FX1X and FX3X, and both were laced with caveats. The few posts I found on the 101s said (more or less) that they were the least riddled with problems from the XX product line. In the end, I purchased them on a whim to have a pair of "fun" iems.

First Impressions:

The packaging is a royal pain to open. It's nigh upon bulletproof. The cable feels cheap, but has acceptable levels of microphonics. BE WARNED. The headphones themselves sound like crap out of the box. The treble is tinny and uncomfortably loud; the bass lacks extension/clarity. I immediately started them on a break in period of 12 hours at a volume slightly above comfortable listening levels.

Post Break In:

That 12 hour period turns their sound around, and more use will likely continue the trend. I cannot say anything objectively (as my ears may have adjusted), but subjectively it seemed like the tin can treble and shallow bass were repaired. The drivers struggle with midrange detail, but treble sounds have surprising clarity. The treble also remains forward, followed by recessed mids and a solid bass extension. In the words of another reviewer, "These earbuds are good for one thing - spewing gobs of bass." Of course, that sound is achieved with stock tips.

I'm hoping that an upgrade to Comply T-400s will tame the highs, flesh out the mids, and help the lows rumble. Perhaps I'll update this review when I receive them - if the sound balances out a bit more, I would recommend the FX101 to a wider range of buyers. Out of the box they are nothing special, but with a few tweaks the 101s may compete with pricier bass vomiting items.

Recommended To:

People looking for a fun and cheap pair of iems with a "V" shaped sound signature, metric tons of bass, and a small soundstage.

Pros: Ok bass

Cons: Unexceptional

I found that I had to constantly adjust these to get a consistent sound, and doing so stopped me getting into the music. Because of this I sold them quickly. They sound similar to Etymotic ER6i, with perhaps better bass. I'm not sure if they distorted treble slightly.

Basically, unless you get them dirt cheap or love the looks, there's real earphones to be bought instead.

Pros: Punchy Bass, decent mids, sparking highs, balanced basshead sound

Cons: Cord seems a bit low quality.

Wow. What a value these are. Amazing clean punchy deep bass, great mids and sparkling highs(hot almost) all for $14. Without any eq the bass is just darn powerful. Not muddy, but deep, punchy and plenty of it. Turn on the bass booster and insanity happens. Overall bets basshead budget earphones I have heard. Can't go wrong. Love the slim 3.5mm jack also.

Pros: Excellent bass, audio quality is surprisingly very good, best bang for your buck.

Cons: Very thin cable, cable catches movement noises, no EQ means some piercing highs.

I purchased these headphones because some other Head-Fi-ers recommended them to me. And the community is now 2 for 2 in recommendations for me! These are some pretty serious little earbuds. They pack quite a hefty punch, especially for the price, just 17 bucks! I have owned several full size, bass heavy headphones, and these can stand up with the best of them. Honestly, they sound just as good as my Numark Red Waves, both in sound quality and bass. However, if you want these to truly come alive, you will need a good equalizer. For the iPod Touch/ iPhone, use Dance or Bass Booster. My ASUS equalizer has made these things sound the best so far. Also, like most in ears, the cables catch quite a bit of movement noise (heavy breathing and when it slides across skin or clothing.) But, other than that, they are very comfortable. They look unlike any other earbuds out there. I'm sure there are a few, but I don't see them. Back to sound, if you like dubstep/ electronic, buy these. They even sound good when listening to jazz. These have blown my mind. And again, under 20 bucks!

Conclusion: If you are on the fence, I want to push you over. It's better on this side of the fence. If you want good sound quality, with booming bass, these are what you NEED to buy. Honestly, you won't regret it.

JVC HA-FX101
By:

Inner-ear headphones that reproduce powerful bass sound by Extreme Deep Bass Ports and 8.5mm neodymium driver units Extreme Deep Bass Ports and 8.5mm neodymium driver units deliver ultimate bass sound Rubber protectors for body durability Superior sound isolation Comfortable fit with ergonomic contoured form 3.94f4 (1.2m) cord with gold plated iPhone compatible slim plug

Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › JVC HA-FX101