Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Portable Amps › JDS Labs CMoyBB › JDS Labs CMoyBB Reviews

JDS Labs CMoyBB Reviews

JRKO

I never heard that before

Pros: small, cheap, bass boost & if ordered as 18v with a jumper can play any ohms cans

Cons: none that I can think of at the moment

great little tin of sweets - brings a new layer to familiar tracks when compared to straight from iPod.  Nicely balanced sound with option of bass boost.  Order the 18V for hi impedance cans and ask for a jumper to short the second battery terminal (making it a 9V amp) when listening to lower impedance cans.  Only marked it down to 4.5 stars on quality because its an old sweet tin!!    very happy
MidnightOdyssey

JDS Cmoy a little warrior

Pros: Extremely portable, reasonable price, great sound quality, long battery life, professionally assembled innards, great customer service

Cons: A mint tin is not an enclosure everyone likes, bass boost is a bit muddy, not 100% robust

For a small portable amp in a tin you can't do any better than the JDS LABS cmoy. Ok it's slightly more expensive then some of the competition but the circuitry is professionally assembled and the overall quality of parts used is great. I opted for the 18v option and choose to replace the stock op amp with a AD8066 unit which suits my grado sr325is very well. I know the grados do not need to extra juice but this comes in handy when using different cans as well. Coupled with my Grados for a little portable system the sound is great and well balanced. I cannot recommend this amp highly enough for what it is. The bass boost feature is useful sometimes dependant on the genre of music and how...
JoshuaStorm

A budget-minded amp that I adore

Pros: Very noticeable SQ increase on high impedance 'phones, bass boost switch, nice look, budget-minded, great costumer service

Cons: Enclosure is not the sturdiest thing in existence (what would you expect)

A fantastic product, JDSLabs make some great CMoys, and the bass boost is fantastic from my point of view. Some may argue it is a bit muddy at higher volumes, but I rarely noticed it to an extreme extent, and even when I noticed it a bit, I remembered how cheap the amp was (also, never forget you can turn off the bass boost). If you don't like the "hipster-ish" look of it, or don't trust the enclosure, I know tons of people bought $10 enclosures and fit them in just fine. I'd recommend this in a heartbeat.   Notes: Used with DT770 Pro 250 Ohm
Revo

Excellent

Pros: Good price,long battery life, and good sound

Cons: none

This amp is just as good as he Headstage Arrow G4 amp I also bought, only the Arrow is 4x the price of the CMoy amp.
Synthax

Honest value for money

Pros: Fun, details, size, nice scene.

Cons: Very poor lower mids. Sound seem to be without its weight. Not comfortable in use. Too 'technical signature' in sound

I did buy this amp to see if it really can beat expensive amps. Well, it plays nice, but does not even play like 300$ amps. Nice to have as an experience, but not as a final word in system.
JoeDoe

What an Awesome Device

Pros: Size, SQ, Construction, Bass Boost, Battery Life

Cons: None unless you're picky

Like the title says, this CMoy from JDS is killer! Great sound in a small package for less than half of what many comparable amps cost. It adds a nice warmth and depth to the XBA 3s and GR07s I've tried. The 9V easily powers most headphones, even those that are harder to drive. The bass boost is rarely needed, but if you want some extra bump, the CMoy has plenty to go around.   Like many portable amps I was wary about the battery life, especially for something so inexpensive. No worries anymore. I has been playing since mid-morning and it is now 6:45. Also, the rechargeable battery will allow it to play while its charging - a serious step up over Fiio's amps.   ...
Tristan944

Very clean sound

Pros: Attractive, powerful, fun

Cons: Big

This is my fist headphone amp, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I have the Sennheiser HD598 headphones and my first generation Microsoft Zune had a tough time giving them enough power. The CMoyBB makes a huge difference! I can now listen to music as loud, and louder, than I want to. The CMoyBB could easily blow my headphones if I wanted to, that's how powerful it is. There is no background noise, such as hissing or static, from the CMoyBB whatsoever. The bass boost adds the perfect amount of bass, which the HD598 is notorious for not having. JDSLabs customized the CMoyBB specifically to my HD598, however I'm sure the amp can still be used with any other headphones and still...
daerron

Great portable amp

Pros: Nice transparent sound, good build and compact, cheap, opamp rolling

Cons: Tin case looks susceptible to damage, bass boost muddies the sound, picks up interference

Great portable amp for those on a budget. Amp arrived packaged really well and was shipped incredibly quickly to my country. Looking inside the tin, the circuit board and components appears to be constructed to high standards, though the front panel connectors on mine weren't aligned 100% but that is nitpicking.   I use the headphone amplifier with my Samsung Galaxy S at work and it drives my Sennheiser HD580s very nicely indeed! This little CMoy has good soundstage and bass on the default setting and a clean transparent sound. Highly recommended! The bass boost setting however does distort the sound a bit and muddies up the sound somewhat so I seldom use it. The unit also has...
drsamdc

It's all I need

Pros: Transparent, quiet, just right bass boost

Cons: None

Most IEMs I own do not benefit or need an amp. A few do. The bass boost is just what my sonic taste needed from my RE 0 and Carvins. My Sansa Fuze needed a boost when I listen to my Sony headphones which was my main reason for the purchase. My Sony Walkman benefits from this amp as does my Cowon J3, the latter by the bass boost function. The build is first rate. It's an amp, it amplifies what needs amplifying. If there's junk you get louder junk, if it's clean than you get clean. It changes nothing from what's there and I think most people will appreciate the improved bass option at a budget price. JDS guys are all about help and service, I couldn't be more satisfied. I've had amps at...