Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Wireless › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black

JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black

Rated #13 in Wireless

Pros: Best wireless sound quality, light weight, great battery life, very stable in the ear once you figure out the right fit

Cons: Cumbersome to Fit, Fail easily

Experience with Customer Service

In case you want to see a video review, search youtube for "Jaybird Real time Review" and my video should be first on the list.

I'm going to start by saying that Jaybird as a company has fantastic customer service. I've ran into problems with my headphones and got replacments within a reasonable amount of time.  They're quick to respond and I can't say enough of how awesome I've been treated.

I bought these back in September 2013 and have had these as my go to since Last week Janruary 2015. This is the longest I've ever owned a set of high quality headphones and I love them.  I'm having some sellers remorse and want them back. There's a good chance I will own these again or the next version of these phones in the future.

I speak so highly of their customer service because they have a very liberal replacment policy.  It seems that they really care about maintaining a strong brand.  I've been out of warranty but have still gotten replacements.  I guess technically, they were in warranty.  They have a life time sweat proof warranty. So if the headphones were to fail because of sweat they will replace them, just as long as you have proof of purchase. So if you buy these, buy them from authorized reseller.

Over the course of 16 months these headphones have failed a total of 4 times.  You would think that after it failed I would be upset, but the reason why i'm not is that there is no other set of wireless earbuds that sound this good and have strong customer service.  The first time they failed, on side gave out and i just exchanged it at best buy ( bought it from best buy using an amazon price match).  Second & third time they failed and they stopped charging.  Sent them in and got a brand new one. The 4th time I sent them in I had a pairing issue that was annoying.

When I got the new ones back I decided that I wanted a different set up.

Sound Quality

By far the best sounding. Base is rich and warm.  Maybe my expectation were low, but I was blown away that these were wired headphones.  Keep in mind the reason why I was blown away was because I was using apple earpods at the time.  Mids and highs are clear and compliment the base.  Doesn't sound muddy. They are not better than wired headphones.  As I type this review I'm listening to some daft punk on my recently purchased Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro's and the detail I'm hearing is something you won't hear.

During the time I had to send the Jaybirds for repair, I tried the Back Beat Go 2 headphones and it was dissapointing how poor they sounded.  Jaybird has done something special to make their sound good. It's adequite and the quality you lose from wired headphones is worth having now wires based on my use.

I've watched some videos on the Jaybirds and the main complain I hear is the fit.  You have to fiddle around with the right fit.  The best fit for me was to wear them upsidedown so that I could have the cable wrap around my ear and hug my head.  I did experience some discomfort with my ears because of the "wings" that are used to secure them in when wearing them for over an hour.  Typically, these can be difficult to wear for more than 2 hours.

Best Use & Final Opinion

I'm a personal trainer and work in a commerical gym.  I have gym bags and move stuff around alot. I'm very active.  These headphones are perfect for someone that wants the best sound  in a wireless earbud.  When I do buy these again I will probably get the Comply Foam tips or find a double or triple flange tip to improve the seal. These are great for me because I can keep one in my ear and one out. It's easy to stuff them in my pocket or rest around my neck.

Closing thoughts

Figuring out the fit is cumersome and can be annoying.  Take the time to try to figure it out so you can get it work for you.  Be patient and figure out the right set up.  Also, see if you can find better aftermarket tips.  After trying a minimum of 3 fit combinations and you still can't get it to work for you, return them.

Pros: Great Fidelity, Long Life Battery along with Functionality to take phone calls!

Cons: Does not beat wired systems. Even with accessories it is not a perfect fit...

A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for the office that would provide me with a decent stereo sound and eliminate the clutter of wires and everything involved in having a portable head amp in my office. At first, the price seemed high but the convenience is worth it.

The three things to consider:

Sound Quality. Being Head-fi....I could go on for years debating this. In one sentence: Stereo sound is good but is does not win over wired headsets. The quality during phone calls though was excellent. It does NOT have a bassy tone; but they sound great in the mids and highs. If you want bassy sound buy something cheap and save your money.

Comfort. The package came with accessories for comfort.. my ears care NOT symmetric and what works on one side is short or falls off in the other. I am still working on this. But for being stationary at the desk they work.

Battery Life. Have had them for a month and they will stay powered for almost eight (8) hours. I cannot complains.

I hope this helps.

JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black

Bluebuds X have been designed and developed with every ideal in mind. Wireless Music+Calls coupled with Superior Audio Performance, a revolutionary 8 hour battery play time, Patented Secure Fit for Sports, Sweat Proof Nano coating locks moisture out, and the all new X-Fit, you have the option of lifting the cord off your neck for the perfect workout headphones. As the Official traning Headphone of USA Triathlon, you can be confident knowing you are selecting a trusted and proven sport headphone

BindingWireless Phone Accessory
BrandJayBird
ColorMidnight Black
EAN0855366002324
FeatureBreakthrough exclusive technology doubles JayBird BlueBud X playtime to a solid 8 hours, offering a full week of workouts, or a full day of listening. SignalPlus for skip-free music outdoors. Use your music device left/right side, above/below waist, doesn?t matter with SignalPlus. Shift Premium Bluetooth Audio. By writing our own version of Bluetooth SBC codec we have rewritten the rules about how Bluetooth should sound. Shift delivers clear precise audio similar to wired audio performance PureSound In-ear white noise and listener fatigue reduction. Eliminates the white noise and delivers a clean audio experience offering hours of pure enjoyment. Lifetime Warranty Against Sweat
LabelJaybird