Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Amp/DACs › iBasso D7

iBasso D7

Pros: quiet background good sound

Cons: limited amplification

This is a great sounding portable DAC+Amp. Happy I still have one, since it's no longer produced.

Very black background given the price. Good clean sound despite only USB power.

Have larger more powerful amps and they have more noise in the background.

Small and easily portable. Solid, well built.

A bit of hissing when turning volume nob, which is not super smooth in turning, but only then. Prompt customer service from the company.

Pros: Smooth clean bass

Cons: usb input only

Great little amp that I purchased used.  Driver installs on Win8.1 and 7 with no problems.  Using the D7 with my Sony MDRV6 on my work PC.  Sony headphones have some foam added in the chambers.  This little amp sounds really smooth over the the pc output.  Running it on low gain with Bass enhancement enabled in the speakers properties.  I'm using the VLC player and bass is set at 7.9db @ 60hz and the preamp set at 5.5db.  Perfect settings for me to enjoy bass heavy music and not getting fatigued after 4 hours of jamming.  I like it as much as the FIIO E12A.  The design shows it ages, but still looks new when I received it.  I recommend this little amp if you just want something better than what your PC can produce.

Pros: Light, versatile, good laid-back SQ

Cons: Power treatment not the best, susceptible to EM interference, generic Thesycon Driver doesn't support 176.4k sample rates

Looking back at this unit, it was excellent for the price. It had great connectivity (coaxial S/PDIF output, both 3.5/RCA full scale outputs, 9 Vrms headamp) despite only being USB-powered,

The OPA1611-based 9Vrms headphone amplifier was smooth and laid back, sometimes a little too laid back for the detail lover in me, but very pleasant to listen to. It had low and high gain, and <1 ohm output impedance, so it paired well with multiple sources, equally at home with both my IEMs and my HD598. I compared it to the DACPort, and I thought the Class A headamp in the DACPort was slightly more refined, but got pretty hot, whereas the D7 only ever got slightly warm. The D55 (Hibino iBasso Japanese only version) was more spacious sounding, but not any better as a DAC.

I could always carry it around with me if I wanted to, as it was super light. But the enclosure was tough too. The silkscreening and matte finished showed practically zero signs of wear despite everyday use.

It served me well!

iBasso D7

- True 24Bit/192K USB-DAC, supports bit for bit decoding. - Asynchronous USB transfer - WM8740 DAC chip - Up to 24Bit/192K coaxial output - RCA output and Line out. - Built-in +/- 5V class A headphone amplfiier that run off of USB power - Full aluminum case - Measures 60W*93L*22H (mm), and weights 108g - Comes with USB Cable, and Leather pouch

Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Amp/DACs › iBasso D7