Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Dedicated Source Components › DACs › Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC › Reviews › uncola's Review

Best entry level DAC

A Review On: Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC

Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC

Rated # 4 in DACs
Quality
uncola

Pros: Small, useable with laptop

Cons: 3.5mm instead of rca

This DAC was good enough for me to buy twice.  90% of the sound quality of a odac for cheap.  Buy it from the oregon warehouse website if you're impatient, shipping from china is slow.  New savitech usb receiver version adds support for 88.2khz and an ASIO driver which is a nice option instead of wasapi.  Haven't heard the asynchronous version but it can only be even better.  Extended highs.  Nice fast bass.  Switching to this dac got rid of noise from scrolling web pages I had when using motherboard audio.

I'd categorize this dac as a little bright but close to neutral
How does it compare to the Dragonfly and what's the cost?
The Dragonlies are better with more powerful and more separation, more musical than ODACs.
@uncola I'd say it's warm...I think there are different versions though. Mine is mostly neutral, a touch warm, and a bit forward compared to my HRT Microstreamer, which has slightly less bass and a more open presentation.
Scratch that, bass is about equal...the Microstreamer does have better treble and more depth and separation to its presentation though.
Oops I didn't realize people actually read my review!  This thing cost me $42+7 shipping from the china warehouse.  I haven't heard any other dacs except my aune t1 dac, and I thought the hifimediy was better.  Oh also heard a weiliang cs4398/cm6631a dac and it was horrible, possibly I had a bad version with a counterfeit opamp though.