Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Dedicated Source Components › DACs › Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC › Reviews › olee222's Review

Excellent DAC for the price

A Review On: Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC

Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC

Rated # 4 in DACs
Quality
olee222

Pros: No drivers needed, clean audio, works as advertised

Cons: Cheaply built

I had the Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC for a couple of days. I bought it just as a low cost external USB sound card, as the docking station of my laptop has no audio output (how silly).

I use it connected to a Tivoli Audio Networks setup. I'm don't consider myself an audiophile, so I won't comment on this part, although I like good sounding music and high quality sound.

I bought the device on ebay's listing via "Standard shipping", and it arrived promptly in an padded envelope, labelled as USB to analog converter. I didn't have to pay for customs, I guess it was below the threshold level. The seller was responsive to questions and helpful, and sent the package on its way next day.

I connected to in the following way: Sony S13 laptop > docked into Sony VGP-PRS30 docking station > Exsys USB 2.0 hub > and finally the Hifimedy Sabre USB DAC.

Operating system: Windows 8 Pro reinstalled on an SSD. It was recognized right away, ready to use. In the system it shows up as "SPDIF Interface (SABRE 24/96 DAC_DigiT)". I find the sound to be excellent, no hiss, no clicks.

The only negative I can say that it feels cheaply built. Probably it is solid, and anyway, it is tucked away with the cables, but if feels cheap.

All in all, even if you don't need audiophile quality, just an external sound card, this is an excellent value for the money, I can recommend it.

Comments: