HiFiMAN HM-801 Reviews

HeadphoneAddict

HM-801 brings desktop audio to the portable venue, with a few compromises

Pros: Beautiful sound with 24/96 FLAC that no other portable can match

Cons: Short battery life, large size, small internal storage, no video

REVIEW of HM-801:   I've had a loaner 801 here for a week and a half, playing a multitude of 24/96 hi-res downloads and 16/44 FLAC or WAV files, and all I can say is that I've already emailed Fang that I want to buy this one to replace my iMod/Vcap dock.       I took it to Westone on Wednesday to try out their new ES5 demos which sounded wonderful with it (better balance, depth and out-of-head soundstage than my ES3X which I love).  During our 2 hour listening session p0derh0und23 (Doug) agreed with me that the 801 with 24/96 FLAC sounds a little more realistic and spacious than my iMod rig using the same songs in 16 bit ALAC files. The HM-801 with 24/96 FLAC was also superior as a...
Tronz

Big Sound, Small Package.

Pros: Amazing Sound!, External SD Card Slot, User Removable Amplifier, 24/96khz support.

Cons: Poor Battery Life, Clunky Footprint, Fingerprint and Scratch Magnet, Glitchy User Interface.

Hifiman HM-801   Disclaimer: This review is just a reflection of my opinions and experience.       Specifications: Modular Design: Modular Amplifier Bay (Named GanQi Bay) and 14.8 volt Lithium Polymer Battery Bay Memory: SDHC Card  DAC function: Coaxial (44.1kHz, 96 kHz) , USB DAC (16bit, 48kHz) DAC Chip: Burr-Brown PCM1704U-K (for Player, Coaxial and USB) ; Op-Amp: OPA627 Size: 114 mm *78mm * 25.5 mm or 4.49 * 3.07 * 1.00 Inch Output: Headphone out; Line out Exchangeable Module Battery Life : 7 to 8 hours (Depending upon which Modular Amplifier board is mounted)   Contents in...