Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Desktop Amps › HiFiMAN EF5 - Hybrid Headphone Amp › HiFiMAN EF5 - Hybrid Headphone Amp Reviews

HiFiMAN EF5 - Hybrid Headphone Amp Reviews

mike1127

super dynamic

Pros: dynamics, drive, prace/rhythm/timing

Cons: bit "grayed out" in emotional tone and timbral color

So far I have used this amp with two different headphones: the Hifiman HE5LE, and the AKG K601.   I'll start with describing how it sounds with the AKG K601. First, let me note that one absolutely must  put a 120 ohm series resistor at the output in order to be compatible with the K601. AKG specifies that the K601 should be driven by amp following the IEC standard, which is 120 ohms output impedance. And I can say that without that resistor, the highs are harsh and fatiguing. With that resistor, the sound is balanced.   The most outstanding feature of the EF5 is its dynamic power. Let me explain what that means. It does not mean simply that the amp gets loud. It...
davide256

Punchy, not subtle tube sound

Pros: tube mid range, good bass, power

Cons: stiff volume knob, warm up time

Although I've only had this about a week, I've decided to post since there is a dearth of posted reviews. First about me; prior gear I have had - Grado Headphone amp, Headroom Micro amp, Stax SR-5 headphones, Grado 325 headphones current gear -Music Hall 25.2 headphone amp, Grado 80 headphones, Hifiman HE-400 headphones biases - tube gear, planar and electrostatic speakers.... headphones used when I feel too lazy to fire up the main system. Audiophile purchaser since the 80's   Packaging when received was plain cardboard box with foam cut outs to house the product, no issues there with shipping protection. The 12AU7 tube provided was a generic Chinese tube which I...