Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Amp/DACs › Hifiman EF2A Usb Headphone Amplifier › Hifiman EF2A Usb Headphone Amplifier Reviews

Hifiman EF2A Usb Headphone Amplifier Reviews

zammaster05

Here, here.

Pros: Looks great, price, seems durable, Burr-Brown PCM2702 DAC

Cons: Sound, volume, sound

Yeah, I agree with The Wuss.  I am rather new to the headphone amp universe.  So, don't choose to (or not to) buy baseed on my review alone.    I listening to the HiFiMAN EF2A through my Grados and a pair of Sony Studio Monitors I use for live music mixing.  The Sonys were instantly revealed as crap for critical listening.  The Grados came to life and quickly taught me what the term "muddy" was all about.  This amp reproduces the upper lows through the lower mids as though they are on top of each other.  These frequencies are fuzzy and sound as if the phones are being asked to play too loud without enough wattage, even at very...
TheWuss

with the EF2A, you get what you pay for

Pros: small, cheap, attractive, seems sturdy

Cons: too much gain, too little power, average sounding dac

i bought the ef2a as a dac/amp for my work rig, hoping it would represent a nice step up from the portable dac/amp i was using at the time - the ibasso d4.   immediately out of the box, i was struck by its looks.  its an attractive little unit.   however, after a couple weeks of use, the dac/amp really started revealing its weaknesses.    first, the dac section of this unit is nothing special.  comparing it with the d4, the d4 is superior, providing more instrument separation, more clarity, and less congestion in the lower mids and upper bass.    and so i kept the d4 in the chain, and decided to use the ef2a as an amp only.  but, the amp section has problems as well. ...