Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Grado Statement Series GS1000i Headphones

Grado Statement Series GS1000i Headphones

Rated #359 in Headphones

Pros: most comfortable Grado ever, unbelievablly beautiful bass, fantastic instrument separation, huge soundstage, clarity, details lovers rejoice

Cons: disgusting treble, disgusting treble, disgusting treble

COMFORT:

Unlike the comfy pads, which people complain about itching, or ears getting hot and unlike the bowl pads, which cause pain on many people ears. The superbowl pads (or bagel pads) are supremely comfortable for one simple reason, they don't touch your ears at all, ok I lied...maybe they don't touch 98% of your ears  (unless you have really big ears). So no itching, no sweating, no pain.

BASS:

Sooooo good, just right, no thump thump thump like my Audio Technica A700, I would venture to call the bass as crisp. It's deep, full, and very detailed. Please try a few tracks from Armin Van Buuren to find out how crispy the bass is.

MID:

thin & hollow sounding compared to a normal Grado (my normal Grado was an MS2). I guess this is the cost of creating a large soundstage. But I still find it acceptable and a welcome alternative for times when you get sick of the normal Grado midrange.

TREBLE: sizzling, screeching, piercing, every sssss, every cccchhhhhh, every ssshhhhh is multiplied ten fold. If you think normal Grado is harsh and bright, wait till you try the Statement hehe. Grado haters now have one more reason to hate Grado headphones  frown.gif

Pros: Phenomenal bass, incredible air, tons of detail

Cons: May be too revealing for some, pads could be bigger

grado_gs1000i-6.jpg

I only read about them. I never tried them on. I never heard them. That's not something one normally does when parting with several hundred dollars or more for headphones. But, what I had read had me convinced that the Grado Statement Series GS1000i Headphones were a must-have for my collection. Needless to say, I am pretty happy with my purchase.

You see, I picked these up gently used for nearly half the price of a new pair... that's a deal that can't be passed up for a can like this that has a real fan following. What's more, I have a friend that raves about Grado cans, and pairing his peer pressure with the raving reviews about the bass, soundstage and detail retrieval of the GS1000i, I had to go for it.

But, you probably want to know how they fit, feel and sound, right?

For starters, I'm not generally a fan of ear pads that actually touch my ears. On-ear cans? Forget it. I prefer a circumaural fit that engulfs the ear, providing a nice seal and no pressure on the ears at all. Despite the GS1000i having the largest ear cups in Grado's lineup, these pads do still touch the ears. Yes, they do surround them and seal nicely, but because of the tapered funnel-like design, you will have ear contact. So far, though, I haven't found this to be too much of an issue, but it is worth noting. Second, these pads are a bit scratchy. It's apparently a common occurrence among Grado pads. It's "just the way they are." I've heard that washing them with shampoo helps to alleviate it and soften them up a bit, but I haven't tried it yet.
grado_gs1000i-7.jpg

As for the size and weight, these are big cans that will leave you looking like Princess Leia if her buns happened to be made from hand-matched and finely shaped mahogany wood. But that doesn't matter because you'll only want to use these in the privacy of your home listening room where you can truly submerse yourself in the stunning performance of the open-back design. The GS1000i, despite its size, is also surprisingly light. Likely the lightest large, full-size headphone I have ever tried.

And, finally, the sound. Well, it is truly amazing. Airy, three-dimensional and engaging are the first descriptors that come to mind. Grado headphones are known to have a unique and lively sound signature. The quality of their mid-range presentation is often raved about. I believe the GS1000i strays from the "typical" Grado sound, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The GS1000i, by far, has the best bass performance I have ever heard. It is nothing short of powerful. At first impact, you may find it overpowering actually, but as your ears adjust to the unique frequency response of this can, you will hear just how natural the sound reproduction is. I used to play percussion instruments; I've not heard kick drums reproduced so authentically before. In other words, the bass is phenomenal, natural, smooth and very engaging.

I'm going to skip over the mids for a minute and talk about the highs. The treble has a slight boost over the mids, similar to my Beyerdynamic T90, in my opinion, that adds a real sparkle to these headphones. I've heard people complain that the GS1000i can be sibilant and "screechy" or harsh.... That my friends is likely your recording, not the cans. The treble on the GS1000i, is again, by far, the most revealing I have experienced. The sheer amount of detail retrieval is truly impressive, but I believe it could be too much for those that don't anticipate that, don't want that out of their music, or, sorry to say, have crappy recordings and sources. You will hear the faintest noises: Music sheets shuffling, fingers sliding across strings, deep breaths before horn blasts, comments from the live crowd. All that said, having high-quality recordings playing from a clean source is paramount with the GS1000i, otherwise, you do stand to be disappointed.

Now, back to the mids. Their performance is no less impressive when it comes to clarity, instrument separation and authentic sound. However, the mids DO come off as being a bit recessed as both the powerful bass and stunning clarity of the highs takes over. In my experience, you need to give your ears some time to "break in" and adjust to the frequency response characteristics of this headphone before you write it off as being a slouch in mid-range performance. Once you are accustomed to the sound, everything comes together quite nicely.

I truly believe that the GS1000i gives you the most "live" sounding experience in headphones. When you put these on, you will feel like you are 10 rows back, center stage. And while the overall detail retrieval has hints of a live studio session, the sound signature of the Grado GS1000i is more authentic of a small venue live performance than that of what you'd hear sitting in an acoustically-treated studio. To me, you get the best of both worlds and a truly lively and engaging listening experience.

Check out more of the beautiful Grado Statement Series GS1000i below.

grado_gs1000i-8.jpg

grado_gs1000i-9.jpg

grado_gs1000i-11.jpg

grado_gs1000i-12.jpg

grado_gs1000i-13.jpg

Please don't steal my photos.

This is my third GS1000 and this time I will keep it for a longer time.

I wanted a bigger soundstage when I had a SR325i so I sold the SR325i to fund the purchase of a headfi GS1000i and I like the soundstage much more.

The GS1000i does not need a powerful amp and the Meier Audio Swing succeeds to drive it without using the high-gain switch at medium volume level (but the Squeezebox volume is almost at full).

Grado Statement Series GS1000i Headphones

What does the i stand for in the GS1000i from Grado? Improved, that's what! The GS1000i uses upgraded dynamic transducers and the 8-conductor cable design. All this, wood, driver and cable designs result in improved control and stability of the upper and lower range of the frequency spectrum with both better supporting the GS1000i's renowned midrange.The Grado GS1000i's cushion design actually creates a "room" for the ears to sit, creating a larger soundstage and greater spatial experience for the listener. It was important to design the correct balance between the driver and Grado's wooden driver housing to give you the resulting sound that you desired. This has been accomplished. By creating this "room" for the ears to sit, positioning of the cushions with regards to the ears (i.e., forward or back) is somewhat critical in finding the absolute sweet spot.The GS1000i retains a sound that is pure Grado, rich full-bodied vocals, excellent dynamics and an ultra smooth top end. The presentation is very detailed, the bass is deep and the music is very tight and non-fatiguing. All with a soundstage that is huge allowing for unbelievable separation and layering of the music which is simply stunning.Listen and enjoy!

BindingElectronics
PublisherGrado
StudioGrado
TitleGrado Statement Series GS1000i Headphones
UPC411378016911
Special FeaturesThe GS1000 was shown for the very first time at the International Head-Fi Convention in New York City. The response was just phenomenal. The Grado Statement GS1000 has been on the drawing board for sometime, and we have to admit that this is our finest effort to date. This new headphone incorporates a redesigned driver, a new and larger wooden housing and much larger foam cushions that are extremely comfortable. Grado's new cushion design actually creates a "room" for the ears to sit, creating a