Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › On-Ear › Grado SR60 Headphones › Grado SR60 Headphones Reviews

Grado SR60 Headphones Reviews

Positive Reviews

GREQ

Makes me happy

Pros: Sheer value for money

Despite being overpriced out of the U.S. they are still worth every penny.  They make everything sound energetic and rich. But most importantly the sound they produce makes me grin uncontrollably.   Also as a side note, on my ears these (with bowl pads/'L' pads) are circumaural because I have small ears - which is an added bonus for me.

Negative Reviews

T65design

Ordered online and regretted

Pros: Neutral

Cons: Dull

I ordered from an online without listening firsthand.  Plastiky feel ran through my mind when i opened up the box.   Straight from my Cambridge amplifier, no matter what I did, they sounded boring.       I know neutrality is a good thing but mine did not improve after 2 days burning in with pink noise.

More Reviews

kite7

The first step on a great adventure

Pros: Engaging, fast and exciting. The bright Grado sound signature.

Cons: Lacks refinement. Bass impact is not strong.

I have a pair of vintage SR60 with pink drivers dark driver cloth. They also have a black magnet. These headphones simply at the best value headphones I've ever owned.   Vintage SR60 sound smoother than current day SR60i and SR60e yet still maintain the same engaging sound. I found the best pads for these are the original comfie pads and these pads put my ear closer to the driver opposed to today's comfies which create a greater distance making them sound more similar to bowl.   Using new bowl pads will make the highs sound a little strident. It is more obvious the highs have some roughness and edginess to it. The bass impact will be reduced and the bass slam is gone from...
bedlam inside

Affordable entry level Headphones, you get what you pay for, buildquality is lacking and the sound quality is no match for serious headphones

Pros: Inexpensive, easy to drive, much better than "no-fi" headphones

Cons: Bass is too little, combined with too forward tonal balance, extremely cheap build

If you are looking for an affordable upgrade, they still beat the hell out of any earpod and cheapo set of ‘phones. Plus they work with your portable player/phone giving you enough sound level.  Many player software options offer an equaliser that can be used to tame the wayward treble and to even out the bass. In this case the clean and natural midrange may well work its magic well.    These are the phones if you have a rather high quality system with a headphone connection and occasionally want to listen either very loud or loud late, but you do not want to spend money for a real set of headphones. If you can spend a little more, do so and look at another brand...
jcksa

Nice Vintage Headphone

Pros: Grado quality at economy cost

Cons: Covers deteriorate over time

I have enjoyed the SR60s for many years. Like, maybe 20+. They have excellent fidelity expected from the Grado line for a reasonable price at the time. It has long been time to replace the foam covers as they fell apart after 10 years or so.
ProcessJunkie

First Step into audiophone world

Pros: Great value, revealing sound, beautiful design

Cons: Sound leak

I was always interested in the Audiophile world, even since i watched High Fidelity a few years ago, i know, the movie is focused on the records, but i don't know, there was something there.  I first heard of the Grados a few years ago, when i searched for then, i fell in love. The WWII-sh design, the simplicity, even the typography on it.   Now i'm a grown man, i got a job and a beard, i thought it was time to finally meet the world i saw on High Fidelity. I got them 2 weeks ago, i'm still getting used to the whole new world of sound that these babies can delivery, and i'm loving it.   Now my music has details that i didn't know that existed, and the mids...
HPManiac

First 'serious' set

Pros: Energy, bounce

Cons: Excels on rhythm, not the most neutral

Everyone should have one to go back to when your ubercans are sent for re-wiring etc. They surprise me again and again...