Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › On-Ear › Grado SR-80 › Grado SR-80 Reviews

Grado SR-80 Reviews

TDL-speakers

Grado SR80.

Pros: Very musical, dynamic, fast and very detailed.

Cons: Can be a bit harsh sounding sometimes. And comfort can be a little rough at times.

Not a review, just my little opinion on these nice headphones.   My Grado SR80s are the older ones (Not the new 'i' version) I'm guessing my SR80s were made around in 2001-2003 etc.   All I can say these SR80s are very musical sounding headphones, and they can sure boogie too.   I think the SR80s are one of Grado's best headphones in my opinion. And can sound just as good as headphones costing £250+. Very good value for money !!     Regards.
peskypesky

Love me some Grados!!!

Pros: great sound, light weight, cool retro styling, made in USA

Cons: crappy cord, not very durable

A couple of years ago, I took the bait and bought my set of Grado SR80s. Its been mostly love ever since.   I adore the sound, which is pretty spectacular, especially at this price. Could use a little more robust bass, but i just pump up the bass with EQ. Sound is really clear and musical.   They're easily powered by a computer or ipod. I tried a CMOY with mine but didn't notice much if any difference.   They're lightweight, and since I live in a small Manhattan apartment and have my phones on ALL the time, the light weight is key. I can wear these for hours and experience very little discomfort.   I love the retro styling. Some hate it. I don't. To...
jaddie

Grado SR-80

Pros: Warm but mostly uncolored, transparent

Cons: cord material and reliability

I've owned a pair of SR-80s since 1996 when my old Yamaha phones collapsed beyond repair. I auditioned a pair of SR-60s at a local high-end store, and when I was ready, got a pair.  I was very disappointed!  It wasn't at all the sound I had heard in the audition.  I was unhappy enough to return them, and in a newsgroup (remember them?) complained about my experience.  Group members had been praising the SR-60s at the time, and I couldn't get behind that.  To my surprise, I got an email from Joe Grado asking for my shipping address!  He offered me a pair of the SR-80s, said if I liked them, I could pay for them, and if not, give them to somebody else. ...
sammcj

Grado SR80i - Best bang-for-buck headhpone out there.

Pros: Affordable, Precise, exceptional clarity, look great, plenty of mods available.

Cons: A little lacking in soundscape, You really NEED the Grado L-Cush pads.

I could not recommend SR-80i's any higher to someone that's looking in that price range. I did months and months of research before settling for a pair, I read just about every review out there. Realistically I do not think that for the money you could get yourself a better can. I fitted Grado L-Cush (from the SR-325i) pads to mine and it made the world of difference, not just to comfort but to the audible landscape.
sandman1990

Metalhead's delight

Pros: Mighty attack, Great mids, Well detailed, Dynamic, Clean sound

Cons: Isolation (Open-back design, so have to deal with this), Cable

I mostly listen to Metal and have found these to be the best for starters. Albums like Metallica's "Ride the Lightning", "Master of Puppets" sound great and aggressive. The sound signature gave me a bit of a headache when I first started using these but, with time, the harshness seems to have faded away. Dunno if its my ears adjusting or whether its "burn-in". Everything said, I feel its $100 well spent (in fact I had to pay around $150 for it since I am from India).
daronharvey

Brilliant value - Owned for 4+ years. Read on....

Pros: Fantastic sound for not a lot of money. Absolutely no regrets in buying mine.

Cons: Look far cheaper than they sound, which can also be said for the SR225's. Read on....

These are great, and actually deserve more credit than I was giving them.   With a view to upgrading, I tried my SR80s out against AKG K701's, and Grado SR225's. If you're interested in what I had to say, check out the thread at http://www.head-fi.org/t/698953/grado-sr80-to-akg-k701-an-upgrade   Thanks
FancyDan

An utter classic

Pros: Everything about this headphone, especially for the price

Cons: Made from cheap materials once you break them down, can be blown out easily if you listen to music loud

The Grado SR-80 has been on pretty much every list of best value in headphones ever made (or at least any that know what they're talking about) and they're there for a good f***ing reason. These are probably some of the best audiophile headphones priced under $150 dollars ever made. They have a great sound all the way from their warm, fun bass to their nice and detailed mids, to their fairly open and airy sounding highs. This last bit is enabled by their open-backed design, which does allow some sound to leak, but you know that if you're buying open back headphones. There's really not much to say. These headphones look great, sound great, feel great, and have an insanely great price. If...
lord_tris

Grado sr80 (non i)

Pros: Great sound for the price/performance

Cons: Open back headphone

Build quality - I can say that in the 5 years of use the only thing wrong with these headphones were the pads falling apart.  And there is a very small tear in the cable sheath near the Y connector.  I have never got the gradle sound that some people get.  So to me the build quality is great for the design if you treat them well they will last a long time. They have plastic cups with plastic and metal gimble and metal headband that is covered in leather looking plastic material, the cable is very thick and sturdy. If someone wraps up the cable they will see the cable sheath tear away from Y adapter and expose the cable, Please do not...
hanglee65

Great portable reference

Pros: Sounds very neutral, very balanced,

Cons: Cable insulation tears off after several months of use, too much weight on head..

The Grado's SR-80s are one of the most beautiful sounding  headsets i've ever bought. The musical qualities of these headphones include having a warm bass, neutral mid, and  smashing trebal.Great headset for all types of music. They drive ipods with ease, but I would not recommend use them with anything smaller than an ipod classic. The sheer weight of the cord could bend the the headphone jack easily, causing the ipod to lose one channel. Otherwise, these are the best buys for many types of listening.  Highly musical w. great tonal qualities, they are a must for the seasonal and beginners headphonephiles.
MajorCockUp

good for the money

Pros: sound

Cons: built quality

Great sound, etc. What hasnt been said: these headphones will literraly dislove after 2 months of use. Mine already have new cable and headband. You cant wear them in public since they leak sound and look like a pre-WW2 relic.   I had loads of headphones well above the price range, like monitoring, dj, in ear all from well known brands and nothing campared to Grados sound.