Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › On-Ear › Grado Professional Series PS500 - Headphones › Grado Professional Series PS500 - Headphones Reviews

Grado Professional Series PS500 - Headphones Reviews

kayandjohn

Retro, U.S.-made excellence... with 10-point comparision to HiFiMan HE500 and Sennheiser HD598

Pros: Excellent presence; well-defined bass; well-driven by iPod; needs no amp.

Cons: On-ear pads somewhat tight; heavy long cord with 1/4" plug outweighs iPod & requires adapter

Sorry... headphone display stand shown in this Grado Labs photo was somehow missing from my PS500 headphone box!   Since my first revelation into "good" headphones was via my Sennheiser HD 598s, which introduced me to great soundstage, imaging, and comfort, I was looking for something that moved further in the same direction for my upgrade, the PS500s.  Detailed listening comparisons in the Overture Audio store where I bought these examined the HiFiMan HE 500, these Grado PS500s, and my Sennheiser HD 598s.   I used four "macro" tests that used all of the music, plus six "event-based" tests that compared the rendering of various small pieces of music, compared by...
Golila3

Great Headphone for Rock

Pros: Exciting, Easy to drive, Sound has texture

Cons: Minimal Soundstage, REALLY FORWARD(I like it though)

I'm not an experienced audiophile, so i'll make it short.  The PS500 is really easy to drive, you can plug it into your ipod with an adapter and it'll still sound audiophile level, but an amp does help.  Design : As shiny and good as the picture might look, these headphones, IMO, look pretty ugly, I won't consider that much of a problem since I usually only use open headphones at home. Comfort : Not too bad, the clamp is not too strong and it stays on my head quite well. The headband seem to squeeze my glasses a bit, could get annoying at times.    Sound : These headphones are quite source-forgiving, but they are not that music track forgiving. Make sure...