Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Noise-Canceling › Goldring NS-1000 Active Noise Reduction Headphones › Goldring NS-1000 Active Noise Reduction Headphones Reviews

Goldring NS-1000 Active Noise Reduction Headphones Reviews

RobBeer

Fool's Gold?

Pros: Good sound with noise cancelling on.

Cons: Poor sound with noise cancelling off, build.

When my third pair of JVC HA-NC100s finally bit the dust and I found out they had been delisted I began a search for a replacement. Sadly, the NC100 were pretty unique with the retractable cord, there just wasn't anything to replace it.   Whilst researching for a replacement I found various reviews for these Goldring noise cancelling headphones that all seemed very positive. I found a pair online for £43 plus shipping.   I am not going to go into how they sound much more than what I stated in the Pros/Cons as I am really crap at that sort of thing. I will say that I was very happy with the sound quality when noise cancelling was on, and I was also very happy with the...
Jack Western

A good entry level NC headphone.

Pros: Very effective noise cancelling, good design, comfortable, fold down into hard case. Multi compatible cable.

Cons: Noise cancelling system sometimes hisses the in the left cup. Can get uncomfortable after a LONG time using them.

So I was lucky enough to get these very cheap from Play.com. They seem to be on there a lot of the time at around the £55 mark, compared to their RRP of £160, this is a real steal personally. I think that is something like around $85-90? Again, compared to what is probably a couple of hundred dollars upwards brand new. It might be different across the pond. First impressions: Well packaged and protected. Inside you also have the hardcase which is a great bonus due to the velcro pouch inside for storing accessories and cables etc. First impressions of the audio were also good, even before they were broken in at all as well. Personally, the sound is definitely more muddy without...
Prog Rock Man

Tops for sound, but some design flaws.

Pros: Dynamic and detailed sound. Portability. Work with NR on and off.

Cons: Large ears wont fit, short cable, creaking noise from head band, leak noise.

Goldring are a long established company who make headphones and phono cartridges. Originally German the company moved to the UK in 1933. The NS1000s have been consistently rated as one of the best NR headphones by What Hifi.    The RRP is £150, but Play.com have been regularly selling them for £50 and at that price they are excellent.   The pros outweigh the cons of these headphones. The sound is dynamic and detailed and closer to my Grado SR80s than my AKG K702s, but without the sound stage as they are closed backed. The travel case is great and fits an ipod classic and lod and spare batteries, so it makes an idea prospect for travel. I prefer the sound with NR off, it is a bit...