For those who make the music we enjoy.

A Review On: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 8 In / 6 Out FireWire Audio Interface with 2 Focusrite Mic Preamps

Rated # 33 in Sound Cards
Quality
mattphones
Posted · Updated · 440 Views · 3 Comments

Pros: good size, killer everything on it

Cons: only has one headphone jack?

Where to start? This is primarily for project studio and field recording work. It can be powered soley by its Firewire jack, which is nice. It has real Saffire preamps for microphones, which are very nice. It has a very high quality, high speed DAC, which is excellent. Finally, it drives headphones so well it kicks the hell out of many solid state dedicated headphone amplifiers in this price range. This, my friends, was not expected. This is an excellent multitasker for people who like headphones and making music, not just listening to it.

Update: after using this with Windows 8 for a while, I believe that an update is in order. The unit operates fine, but the drivers are another story. You have to be very careful how you set up the latency and audio resolution. Its a constant balance or you will get debilitating distortion and lag from the unit. A retrograde to Windows 7 repaired the issue. I have not tested (yet) the newer Scarlet system from Focusrite that is USB powered, but I suspect it will have better manufacturer support and not have the same issues. More on that later.

audiophile noob here. Thanks for the review! I have the saffire pro 14 firewire but I'm new to the hifi headphones+dedicated amp thing. My question is: is the headphone out of the saffire 14 good enough that I don't need to buy a headphone amp? I currently have the ATH-M50. Thanks bruh
I use the headphones for mixing and appreciating good music, btw.
Sorry for the extreme delay in response. I have a collection of headphones included the famous ath-m50. This and several other of Focusrite's interfaces will be more than powerful enough to run those cans. Be sure and check my update for a new issue regarding Windows 8, however. You may want to go with the newer USB version called the Scarlet, instead.