Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Focal Elear › Reviews › snellemin's Review

Fancy looking headphone and love the design

A Review On: Focal Elear

Focal Elear

snellemin

Pros: Awesome with string instruments

Cons: Overpriced!

Messed around with the Elear and too bad it has to go back.

Very fancy looking headphone and has a nice solid feel. Fits nicely on my head and the thick long cable is not of an issue for me. I use heavier cables with my Hifiman.

Sound is very nice, especially with string instruments.  Bass is very good and so is the "subbass".  I used Bootsy Rescue MK2 to push this headphone to the next level.  Sound stage, impact just became heaven.

Design and finish is great. It does creak a bit, but that isn't an issue once it's on your head.

Bad news is that the unit I messed with just didn't cut it above 57% volume on my PC.  With zero EQ the driver starts to pop on the right side with volume above 57%.  Not acceptable for unit in this price range.  I have zero tolerance for this kinda crap from manufacturers that think it's ok to send out units with this kinda fault at this price range.

I feel the headphone is worth 400 if it worked ok and not the price that are asking for.

Elear is not for bass, it is a open back dinamic driver headphone, how hard do you expect to push them without a problem?
Did you even look at the video?  Did you see the volume level with zero eq?  The cheaper Hifiman performs better that this overpriced unit.
So how loud is 57%?  I can't imagine any of us actually knowing how loud that is. I have pushed the elear's beyond what I consider listening level briefly and no pop.

I get that most of us are looking for sound at this price range but take it from someone who has tried most the modern day flagships, build quality and comfort counts just as much and the elear has that in spades over many other higher priced options.

Sorry you had a bad experience.
57% is normal listening levels for most.  Hopefully the replacement won't fair so bad and I can actually listen to some reggea music at a proper level.
I think it is on some elears. Mine does the same thing so I sent them back for them to look at.
Mine went back as well, replacement did the same thing at moderate volume.
Dear snellemin,

We have read your Elear review and we are sorry that these headphones don't give you entire satisfaction.

However, the issue described is actually not a quality issue.
Indeed, we have made a clear design choice on Elear and Utopia. Our headphones have been designed to favor the respect of the dynamic contained within the audio signal versus dynamic compression that would offer a higher SPL capability but less respect of the original audio signal. To cut a long story short, the choice was audio quality oriented rahter than SPL oriented. This allows our products to work with full performances until the mechanical clipping is activated. This means that you jump directly from a very low distortion to a sound which could be heard as rattling / cracking noise. On very special tracks with only very low frequencies at very high level, you can thus hear some noises - as you will do on classic loudspeakers.

If we change your pair of Elear headphones, the new one will be designed similarly and it will also have a kind of cracking sound when you will be listening to music with high volume and a fair amount of bass.

The only solution we can recommend you is therefore to listen to your headphones at a lower volume to avoid the cracking sound.

Best regards,