Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Portable Amps › Fiio E6 Headphone Amplifier › Reviews › egosumlux's Review

Not so good for very efficient headphones

A Review On: Fiio E6 Headphone Amplifier

Fiio E6 Headphone Amplifier

Rated # 8 in Portable Amps
Quality
egosumlux

Pros: Really light and efficient

Cons: Can clip the soudstage

I bought this little guy for I could not bear the V-MODA Crossfade LP Over-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone (Gunmetal Black) sound signature (everybody makes mistakes right?). While they are the most comfy headphones I got, the bass overshadowed every part of the mids. They also eat a lot of battery power for a 32 ohms headphone.

Luckily I could survive this purchasing mistake due to the help of the little FIIO E6 which I bought after some research for its EQ options and the possibility of using a FiiO L3 Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone so no battery will be drained from the power hungry V-Modas. I found that the third setting, the blue colored led option boosted the mids so nicely that made a huge improvement in SQ.

Later on, about 6 months ahead the Crossfades got broken in the left side plastic piece that holds the headband so I got them replaced by the glorious V-MODA Crossfade M-80 On-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone - White Pearl that are one world appart. Clear balanced , efficient and portable too. I got a complete eargasm as a replacement set. The M80's are rated at 28.8 ohms which means a slight less battery drain but in the real world is a more efficient headphone. Before I plugged the M80's I used an Akg K518Lewht K 518 Le Limited Edition Headphones (White) with the Fiio in the flat EQ (no led) with 320K mp3's with very good results.

It turns out that the little FIIO actually flattens the M80 soundstage and make it sound a little artificial and dull. So for a better set of headphones this little guy can do more harm than good although it can work very well with some sets that lack bass or have a noticeable bump in the lower mids that makes the sound veiled or muddy. For the Crossfade LP it is a miracle. For the M80 it is not a compliment neither a necessity.

I dont use the E6 for any HP's I can drive easily with my Ipod, why bother ? But it works well for most of the 50 to 60 ohm sets I have pretty well. I love it paired with my Jaycars and AT-M50's
Sure I still use it with my Samson Rh600 and even the PK1 can be paired with this tinny little monster with decents results