Pros: see review
Cons: see review
This review is mainly for the DAC part only with L7. Mostly in comparison to my Schiit Modi. Just a few random things to note:
- Sounds flat with a touch of warmth. Actually, just slightly more than a touch. It wouldn't be my first choice as a budget DAC if I was using just an HD-650. It seems OK for the K702 Anniversary. Based on memory, the HRT MSII seemed warmer sounding.
- Everything is nice and full sounding in comparison to my Schiit Modi (doesn't mean it's better). The Modi is a bit thinner, but clearer and with a larger soundstage. Detail seems about the same.
- Sometimes it sounds very very slightly muffled in comparison to the Modi. Possibly just placebo or just due to it being warmer.
- Some bad/garbage tracks can be more fatiguing compared to my Modi. I think mostly in the lower mids only. Both measure flat, but Modi sounds smoother.
- The bass is really good! Doesn't seem emphasized at all. It did on the E10 and I have no clue why.
- I don't really notice any treble roll-off at all. Apparently there is some when just used as a DAC.
- Works very well with my Xbox 360 using the Optical Connection. It even seems to drive the Q701 well enough for gaming.
- Sounded a tad congested or almost too warm when used with the HD-650 (DAC only). Probably just my weird preferences.
- I really disliked the E10, but felt this is pretty good.
- The Modi sounds better overall to me, but this has some nice minor coloration so it's a keeper.
- I have not really tried many headphones for this with the built in amp. It sounded OK with the Q701.
- Way smaller than I expected!
- Very musical (not excessively colored or anything).
- I bought this because I love the Wolfson DAC in my Ipod Classic 3G (monochrome!). This sounds pretty close in sound signature, but even better!
- Does not ever sound "cold and analytical". I hate anything that sounds that way. My Ipod Touch 2G sounds like that, but the ODAC and Modi did not. The Magni DID.
- Should be good for anything but the warmest sounding headphones.
- Might have some slight emphasis in the lower mids (not as much as the E10). Still flat though, don't ask me how.
- Second best Fiio product i've tried so far. Not a fan of the E7, E10 or E11, but do like the E9 and E5. Wish I never sold the E9!