Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Fanny Wang 2003 Headphones 2000 Series › Reviews › Mattjh90's Review

Dissapointed..

A Review On: Fanny Wang 2003 Headphones 2000 Series

Fanny Wang 2003 Headphones 2000 Series

Mattjh90

Pros: Slick look, 2 modes, works in off mode

Cons: highs, mids, comfort

I wanted to like these headphones so badly...

I was looking for a headphone that looked sweet and had great sound. I did some research and looked at some videos on youtube. Unfortunately i didnt have a chance to listen to them before i ordered them. I took the leap and i am quite disappointed.

AppleMark

(a cool picture, if i do say so myself)

They resemble the beats by Dr look a lot... and that is definitely a plus cause they are sleek, nicely finished and what feels like a REALLY solid build. I like the simplicity of the headphones and the color scheme was sick. They also have a really hard clamp to your head. They are heavy cans and after about an hour, my temple started to hurt while listening to music. Unsure if it was the cans or the sound that made my head hurt...

Lets just jump into the sound

PRE AMP

The cans require 2 AAA batteries to run the pre amp and this thing is not good. Compared to any dedicated amp this thing is pointless. It really just boost the sound and makes them a little nicer on the ears but NOT much. They sound best just straight out of a ipod or laptop, dont bother with the DAC or Amp... In my testing they sounded worse on a dedicated system. WHich was really weird to me. Also this pre amp has a STUPID hiss to it. When watching youtube videos of just someone talking i had to turn the amp off to get rid of the hiss and crackle in the background from the video.

Highs

SOOOOO BRIGHT! I cant listen to all my songs on, on mode/bass boost because of how harsh the highs are. They are ear hurting highs. The clarity is quite good comparative but at high db it just sounds bad... no other words to describe it

Mids

They are recessed... lack detail and clarity. The soundstage also doesnt help, it feels quite claustrophobic. I love my closed back headphones, but these things bring small soundstage to a new level.

Bass

This is the only thing that shines on these cans. On bass boost the bass is thumping and quite good. It is deep and never gets muddy like some other phones in this class. These cans are made for hip/hop rap and dubstep/electronic.

I got these cans for $130 in LIKE NEW condition and now i understand why they were much cheaper then their retail suggested price. They are very cool looking and have a sweet design. The cable has some cool features, like a splitter to share music with your friends but the sound is just not good compared to even headphones in the $150 range. I understand the concept, they are an all in one set of headphones. Pre amp and sweet look while delivering some heavy bass. I would recommend them if you are not super into the sound and want a portable pair of headphones that THUMP. My beyerdynamic dt770 pro and Shure SRH840 blow these things out of the water. when i listen to the fanny wangs i want to just stop and switch to my other pair of cans.

I guess there arent really celebrity endorsed headphones that dont sacrifice some sound... I dont get why they cant look great and sound great... Save yourself the hassle and get the Audio Technica M50s or Shure SRH840. If you want really deep bass and have a decent set up get a pair of beyerdynamics

Looks like a TDK clone. Name is almost as bad as the sound based on the review.
ahahah yea they do look like TDK's.