Why couldn't SM3v1 be like this?Why can't earsonics fix the cable once and for all? Will you necessarily like the sound?

A Review On: EarSonics SM3 v2 universal in-ear monitors

EarSonics SM3 v2 universal in-ear monitors

Rated # 78 in Universal Fit
svyr

Pros: More ergonomic shell, still the same sound, replaceable cable. Very easy to drive

Cons: short y-split to earpiece length. Memory wire vshort (5-6cm?). Isolation (?) slightly less than with V1.not sure the sound is for everyone(see review)

v2 page.

Aside from the cable and new body, my impressions match what I had in my v1 review.

Otherwise, these sound about the same as v1/the new ear-piece body shape is a lot more ergonomic(seems to be a bit smaller as well, but not as easy to get a good seal... At the same time, I'd rather that, then the huge rectangular shape of V1 tearing my ear up)...

Earsonics also decided it's a bright idea to mark r-l in the same black color on the shell. So you have to squint at the earpiece, or look at the underside of the cable plug to see whether the dot is red or blue.

Now the bad things:

Cable: The memory wire is about 5cm which is a lot shorter than useful for anyone that's not a half-hobbit (about 2x of what it is or, I guess, 10cm is generally quite useful and I do wear glasses, but not when running)Furthermore, the new cable y-split length to the earpiece when worn around the ear is still stranglecious...

It's really quite appalling that Earsonics can't listen to even the most basic feedback and stop supplying short useless crap for cables unless you're a mystical creature with small ears and short neck/small head...

Well, now when your cable breaks in 6 months which it probably will because you will keep tugging it, you can just waste $50 ordering a new one, instead of $150 posting v1 there and back.

edit: I've checked the sockets and they're pretty standard IEM cable ones. To top it off, the sockets on SM3 are not recessed. The cable also solves the problem with the memory wire section being too short and annoying to be useful. You probably also want to go easy and try not to put too much pressure on the cable since they're not recessed sockets.
As for replacements - for example my SM3x6 UM reshell cable fits.

Earsonics again did not include a cable clip... Which for the RRP you probably want and would expect. As you would also expect an manual in English and maybe Chinese? Again, Earsonics only includes one in french.

The sound:
Some say it's a bit veiled... I wouldn't quite say veiled, it's just you can get a lot less 'meaty' sound smily_headphones1.gif in the mids and upper bass, or more subtle tuning that sounds more natural. The is certainly 'fun and detailed' but I'd question 'natural'. That said, I'd probably still take SM3v2 for metal smily_headphones1.gif over any HP or IEMs I own(ed)
I'm not convinced the sound is to everyone's liking - people do complain about the veil and the forwards mids. Personally, since my v1 broke, I had it reshelled/driver upgraded into SM3x6 at UMAus (tuned somewhat close to miracle, not the usual SM3x6), and it's a lot more subtle but still has ample (and deeper) bass, sweet and detailed highs and mids that aren't harsh or sibilant... I'd probably prefer the SM3x6 or Mage or Miracle to the SM3v2, despite the marked price difference and some overall loss of 'fun-factor'. (if they made universal versions biggrin.gif ).

I used to love the SM3 v1 sound, but now it seems to me like v1 and v2 have 3 distinct peaks in the FR - somewhere in mid to upper bass, in the mids (vocals and near mid-lower octaves of piano), and in the highs (cymbal hits are very ... too sharp)... I may have been converted away from SM3 completely as I now find that sort of sound a bit fatiguing.

250250.

Finally, at > $450 RRP, these are not cheap...

Hey svyr, would you recommend the SM3 v2's, i like to listen too Pop, Hip Hop, Rap, R&B, and Electronic. If not what would you recommend?
And do you think the SM3's sound different to the SM3 v2's, sound quality matters most :), thanks.
Hey TrakzStah,

It's hard to say. I liked them for Hip-hop/rap (the little of it that I listen to) and some industrial metal that borders with electronic. At the same point the peakedness I was talking about in the 2nd last paragraph of the review really bothered me (the mid bass bit muddies lower bass, the highs are sharp and the mids peak is annoying). It's difficult to say whether you'd like them or not, but for $400 there are plenty of alternatives (although if you want a removable cable, etc, maybe not that many). Personally, at $350+ level I mostly prefer to hear the gear before buying it, so maybe try to attend a local meet and have a listen to v1 or v2 there. Plus for another $100-300 pretty sure you can get 2-3-4 driver customs.
Oh right, so what headphones would you recommend, or what headphones would you say are 'better' than the SM3's in the genres i like, and at the same price range. (I live in the UK, so some headphones will be hard to get a hold off :( )
Are the W4's/W4R's or Shure SE535's any good?
Would bassheads be satisfied with these?
>Would bassheads be satisfied with these?

I very much doubt it.