Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM Reviews

EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM Reviews

alphaman

Why all the fuss over THIS earphone?

Pros: rich, detailed mids; stock tips

Cons: a lot of stuff ... see below

IEM refs (own): Senn IE-8, Shure SE530, EC2, Teclast R8 (came "free" with T51 DAP).   This is a work-in-progress review. I'm waiting for sonove or Inner Fidelity or other unbiased 3rd-party (= those who don't profit from the sale of this 'phone) to measure them before I write a detailed review; scientific metrics/measurements are extremely important for double-checking one's hearing ;-) IAC, lots of other reviews of the SM3 already ... so no point re-reviewing (note: I mostly disagree with others' positive (esp. rave) reviews of this model -- I suspect these cans may have gained their high reputation based on the psycho-somatics of multiple, highly-positive reviews [which may...
Benjerry

Best sounding universals I own

Pros: Superb SQ & Isolation (Captivating sound quality), Marvelous mids, most realistic piano keystrokes I have heard

Cons: Needs to adjust nozzle angle to get more impactful bass, uncomfortable fit, SM3 Version 1 looks better

Best sounding iems- SM3 deserves it's top tier status; they easily beat lesser iems and even sound more impressive than other top tiers I own. (I was blown away on first A/B attempt with my ie8; they make the IE8 sound boring) They performed admirably in all genres of music, however I prefer my ie8's soundstage presentation a bit more. Nevertheless, I was so impressed by the sound quality these that I bought them as an upgrade to my IE8. (was demo-ing westone 4, Ortofon e-Q5 at the same time against my IE8) However, they are slightly uncomfortable for to wear over the ears and the short Y connector hugs your neck. Can be painful and annoying to wear for prolonged...
Golden Monkey

Love them!

Pros: Soundstage, deep bass, lush mids, smooth highs, comfort

Cons: hmmm...they are IEMs and not HD650's? Stock tips are just WRONG.

What's not to love about these?  Ok ok...they're French.  Fine.    There's not a whole lot I can add to what has come before, but... These very much remind me of my HD650's, minus the openness of presentation.  I don't find them muddy or congested, just a tad on the warmer/darker side of things, which I love.  Ample and suprisingly visceral bass isn't something I was expecting from a 3xBA, but it's there in spades.  Midrange to my ears is slightly accentuated but in a pleasing way.  Highs are clean and slightly rolled off.  Lovers of Sennheiser's house sound should love these.  AKG fans, not so much. These are the polar...
Sil3nce

Sm3 Heaven

I was a bit reluctant at first to even think a pair of universal iems could trounce my customs but believe me, this probably is the best universal i ever heard. i listened to it for only 3 hours but fell in love at once. the only complaint i could possibly have is the build quality and the fact many posters have reported breakage. but it's really no big deal and you'll have it fixed promptly once sent to the website.
Old_Snake

My review of SM3

Pros: Sound is detailed and smooth. It has perfect amount of bass. It's comfortable to wear on the ears.

Cons: The part of the cable where it splits into Y is short and gives you the feeling of getting choked. Cables aren't replaceable.

Sound is detailed and smooth. It has perfect amount of bass. It's comfortable to wear on the ears.   The part of the cable where it splits into Y is short and gives you the feeling of getting choked. Cables aren't replaceable.
LRY32

SM3 = GREAT!

Pros: soundstage, portablility, drivability, braided cables

my choice of music is mainly melodic metalcore and hardstyle, and hell was i ever attuned to the boomy kind of earphones (i was ready to put my wallet out for a pair of IE8s)   so far i got it only 3 weeks ago and upon taking it out, it sounded (IMO) lacking in bass and a little tinny. but within the 2nd week, it really did CLICK for me as mentioned by a fellow head fier - it sounds so downright immersive, with the studio like recording soundstage, as i you are jamming with the band; as if you could feel their presence. now when i have understood (or would people usually say, brain break in,) i loved my SM3s.    no more crying babies for it...