Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › DUNU DN-22M Detonator. Headphones earphones › Reviews › TrollDragon's Review

TrollDragon's DUNU DN-22M Detonator Review

A Review On: DUNU DN-22M Detonator. Headphones earphones

DUNU DN-22M Detonator. Headphones earphones

Rated # 111 in Universal Fit
TrollDragon
Posted · 2060 Views · 5 Comments

Pros: Great Value, Abundant Accessories, Quality Build, Working Android/iPhone Microphone

Cons: Weight for some wearers, Microphone placement for over ear use

DUNU Detonator DN-22M

Review by TrollDragon

www.dunu-topsound.com

In this review I will be looking at the Detonator DN-22M from DUNU.

If parts of this review are very similar to my review of the Tai Chi DN-19, that is because DUNU keeps a nice consistency with product packaging and accessories.

I would like to present to you their first model with a microphone specifically designed for smartphones the DUNU Detonator DN-22M.

The attention to detail that DUNU puts into their product presentation is impressive, just like the Flagship Tai Chi model these Detonator’s have the exact same packaging, consisting of an outer sleeve, with an inner box that has a side flap magnetic catch.

The Detonator DN-22M and the protective case just below them.

Upon removing the tray there are generous accessories to be found

Contents:

• The Detonator DN-22M Earphones
  • A rigid protective single zipper case
  • The familiar soft leather-like draw string pouch
  • Cable Clip
  • A generous quantity of tips are included.
  • 3 pairs of Sony Hybrid in S/M/L
  • 3 pairs of Large Bore in S/M/L
  • 1 pair each of Double Flange and Triple Flange set in M only.
  • (I would like to see DUNU provide some “Comply” style tips in the future, one pair of S/M/L would be a nice addition.)
  • Warranty / Maintenance Card

Cases:

The soft leather-like draw string pouch  has the company logo stamped into the material with a name tag sewn into the side seam. The drawstring is knotted and the ends are melted to prevent fraying.

The rigid protective case is nicely styled EVA case with the DUNU logo on top. It is only single zippered so you will have to zipper all the way around to open and close the case.

The zipper has a unique pull tab in the shape of the DUNU logo’s stylized “D”

The DUNU Detonator DN-22M:

• Frequency Response: 20Hz~20KHz
  • Noise Attenuation: 26dB
  • Weight: 27g
  • Cord Length: 1.2m
  • Plug Type: 3.5mm (45° Angle)
  • MSRP $49.99

Like all other DUNU earphones the Detonator DN-22M are manufactured very well, the body is all metal hence the 27g weight. The finish is a nice gunmetalic chrome with logoed aluminum end caps. A red and green band around the body of each earphone denotes the R and L designations. Unlike the DN-19 these have no Braille marking for R & L that I could find.

A 90cm non detachable cord terminated with a 45° angled 3.5mm TRRS jack has a rubbery coating and very little memory. The standard DUNU cable management strap is included on the cable and is very handy. The Y Splitter has a puffy DUNU logo and a slider. The 35cm cable from the splitter to each earphone is one half the thickness of the main cable, the left cable has a microphone/single button module 15cm from the earphone. When you wear the DN-22M with the cable down, the microphone sits a bit below the jaw line and the cable itself is quite microphonic. If you wear the cable over ear, the microphone sits just below your ear at the end of the jaw and the cable noise is reduced quite a bit.

Driveability and The Microphone:

I tested these earphones on my Colorfly C3 and HTC Desire HD, both these devices powered the DN-22M very well considering the Desire HD has a very poor level of audio output.

The microphone/single switch module worked very well with the HTC, it allowed you to answer/hangup phone calls and pause/play audio. The audio quality of the microphone and sensitivity surpassed that of the HTC’s internal microphone.

Just as a test I plugged the DN-22M into my FiiO E17 / E09K combo, with the volume control at 9 o’clock there was good volume for listening.

Earphone Fit:

These earphones fit very well in my ears with the large Sony Hybrid tips, the earphones are round and straight so there are no issues with depth like I had on the DN-19’s.

Considering the weight of the DN-22M, they are really quite comfortable to wear for extended periods.

The Sound:

Since I managed to get a proper fit easily on the DN-22M I had a chance to listen to quite a variety of music with them.

The first album I listened to was Chesky Records

I-Ching “Of The Marsh And The Moon”

The second album I listened to was Juno Reactor

From the Land of the Rising Sun Inside the Reactor II

The third and final album was another Chesky Records

David Hazeltine – Manhattan

The sound of these earphones is quite good for the price point of $49.99

Bass:

The Bass on these headphones has an abundant lower register so I found them quite enjoyable. The stand up bass in the tracks of the Manhattan album sounds good and well defined not over powering any of the other instruments. The Juno Reactor album has quite a bit of Bass on it and can be a little too much for some, the music is electronic and therefore quite different than the standard instruments of the Manhattan Jazz album. These earphones do not have the most bass I have heard, but they put out a satisfying amount.

Mids:

The Mids are good, the piano on Manhattan is right there in front of you, very clean and well defined. It is very enjoyable to listen to. The “Restaurant” sounds from the I–Ching album are very well reproduced, the people there are talking and clinking tea cups right around you. The yanggin and erhu are faithfully reproduced from this incredible album. I you have not heard the album then please pick up a copy, it is an amazing journey for the ears. On the DN-22M it sounded as good as on full sized headphones, just with a much smaller soundstage.

Highs:

I am not a fan of sharp or piercing highs, the highs on the DN22-M’s can get a little piercing with certain songs and instruments, cymbals can get a little loud and sharp on certain tracks. I had some Infected Mushroom queued up to listen to as well, unfortunately some of their tracks can get a little harsh and piercing with synthesized very high pitched voices under full distortion. These tracks were definitely not fun to listen to on the DN-22M without some equalization.

Final Thoughts:

The DN-22M is another quality product from DUNU-TOPSOUND that is every bit worth the $49 asking price in my opinion. Be aware though that they are all metal and a little heavy, but for those of us with large deep ears they fit well and are very easy to get a good seal with. Excellent isolation and a good quality microphone, so if you have a smartphone and are looking for a quality pair of IEM’s, give the DUNU Detonator DN-22M a try and see if you don’t agree.

Pros:

• great value for the price point of $49
  • abundant accessories
  • quality DUNU build
  • microphone works with most smartphones (HTC & iPhone)

Cons:

• weight might be too much for some
  • microphone in a bad place for over ear use

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Rocky and DUNU for the sample I received for review.

And I would like to thank anyone who actually read to the end of this review.

Also, I am not a photographer.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

TrollDragon

"I am not a photographer"
Pure gold right there.
Thanks for the comment pro1137...

Like I state in the review, "Constructive criticism is always welcome."
I see from your profile that you are a student, since this is the case you might wish to attend a few remedial classes in reading comprehension.
Wait, what's that you say about the Erhu being faithfully reproduced? Hmm, might have to crack this open earlier than I wanted to. Thanks for posting the review!
Thanks Warren!
I found them really good with the I-Ching Album, but my ears are not as discerning as some are... :)
Hello,

Thanks for the review. I'm using XBA-H1 but I didn't like that much because the lack for treble (I'm not good with technical terms just a beginner) but good bass. Now seems like there is something wrong so I'm looking for a new IEM. I want to know comparing with Klipsch S4i how is this IEM? Because I like S4i with slight tweaking with EQ.