Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone

DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone

Rated #30 in Universal Fit

Pros: Soundstage, Bass and Treble Performance,

Cons: Quirky Design, Some Build Quality Questions, and Lack of Grain

DUNU'S DN-2000

Quick Link To Review Thread Here.

INTRODUCTION

It has been a little while since my last earphone review, so I am quite excited to be presenting a new review on Dunu's DN-2000 IEM.  Before I continue any further, I would like to offer a big thank you to Fred at Dunu for responding to my request and sending me a sample unit to review.  Once again, here are the usual disclaimers about this review.  I am neither an employee nor an affiliate of Dunu, and all photos are taken and owned by me.

Dunu is a comparatively new player in the audio field, but that hasn’t stopped it from making waves in the audio community.  Established in 1994, Dunu originally began as an OEM/ODM supplier, but eventually started creating and marketing its own products.  The name Dunu itself is an acronym comprised of the words: Delicate, UNique, and Utmost.  “Delicate” represents Dunu’s attention to detail and production quality, while “unique” embodies the singular design aesthetics and sound quality that its earphones supposedly have.  “Utmost” is the end result of these efforts, and highlights some of Dunu’s very serious ambitions as a maker of audio products.

Coming in at around 300 USD, the DN-2000 enters a price range where earphones start to sound very good.  The DN-2000 has many notable competitors in this price range, including hybrids by Fidue, Sony, and Audiofly.  In addition, the DN-2000 also competes with various higher-end dual BA earphones.  Without further ado, let’s get started with the review and see how the DN-2000 performs.

SPECIFICATIONS

TYPE: Hybrid IEM (Dual BA and 10mm Dynamic)

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 10Hz-30, 000 Hz

SENSITIVITY: 102 dB +/- 2 dB

IMPEDANCE: 16 ohms

WEIGHT: 22 grams

PRICE: 300 USD

PACKAGING/INCLUDED ITEMS

The DN-2000 comes in a smooth matte black box, with a magnetic flap that opens to reveal the earphones inside a plastic window.  Removing the foam cover and plastic window, I was happy to see that the DN-2000 was actually housed inside a velvet-covered foam cut-out, and not a plastic blister pack popular amongst some manufacturers.  On the inside of the magnetic flap is a list of the various tips included, and several diagrams on how to properly achieve a seal with the Dunu eartip spacer ring system/ stabilizing wings (more on that later).

With the DN-2000, Dunu spared no expense with the included accessories.  The exhaustive list of included items consists of the following: a metal carrying case, airplane jack adaptor, 3.5mm to 6.5mm adaptor, clothing clip, 3 complete sets of ear tips, 1 pair of foam tips, 4 sets of stabilizing fins, detachable ear guides, and various eartip spacer rings.

The metal carrying case is a nice addition, and comes with a small plaque featuring Dunu's logo on it.  The build quality of the carrying case is good, and users can be sure that the earphones won’t get damaged while being transported.  However, the case relies on a pressure seal to stay closed, which in turn makes it rather difficult to open.  Using too much force while removing the lid could cause the contents within the case to come flying out, and I personally would have preferred a Pelican case instead.

The included eartips come in four varieties: silicone 1K bass/liquid (white), silicone 2K delicate/resolution (gray), bi-flange, and foam.  The natural question then is whether the tips (specifically the 1K and 2K tips) significantly affect the SQ of the earphones.  As promised, the 1Ks do indeed provide a slightly fuller bass, while the 2Ks provide a cleaner sound with better-detailed treble.  I personally stuck with the 2K, but this will change accordingly with the individual tastes of a user.  The foam works as expected, though many will probably replace these with Comply tips. However, the biflange did not fit at all for me, and I believe that the DN-2000 seal isn’t supposed to be achieved with an extremely deep eartip-insertion.

I didn’t personally use the eartip spacer ring system very much, but those who like adjusting their earphones will be pleased to be able to mix and match the rings in order to achieve their desired eartip insertion depth.

BUILD/DESIGN QUALITY

The DN-2000 features a metal housing with two gradations of gold coloring.  The main housing is a gold-copper, while the back panel is light gold with a nice chamfered edge.  Coming in at 22 grams, there is an undeniable heft to the DN-2000, and it certainly does feel solid.  Miniature clips on the housings serve as “hardpoints” for the attachment of the stabilizing fins.  While the DN-2000 is heavy,  I found that I could achieve a very secure fit with good isolation when I used the large stabilizing fins.

Moving on to the cable, I was surprised to see a lack of better strain relief at the connection point on the housing.  For a pair of earphones shipping with a non-detachable cable, more focus should have gone into preventing possible cable failure.   Similarly, more strain relief should have been put into the cable split.  Now, the biggest concern for me was the fact that the DN-2000 I received had a slightly crooked headphone jack.  I’m not too sure if this was a refurbished model or something of the like, but a crooked jack really shouldn’t be present on a 300-dollar pair of earphones.

Overall, the DN-2000 is a well-built pair of IEMs.  Design wise, it tries to straddle one too many fronts at the same time time.  The stabilizing fins help the user attain a good fit/seal, but they do look odd on the metal housing.  In addition the metal clips make wearing the earphones without the fins somewhat uncomfortable.   For their next flagship, I would like to see Dunu either return to a purist DN-1000 housing or adopt a more ergonomic universal design.

SOUND QUALITY

The overall sound quality on the DN-2000 is excellent.  The 10mm dynamic driver allows the DN-2000 to achieve a good quantity of bass that is hard to replicate with a regular pair of dual BA earphones.  The quality of the bass is equally impressive, and the DN-2000 is able to articulate low-frequency notes with surprising accuracy.  It may not be as precise as the bass from a purely BA-driven pair of earphones, but greatly increased musicality for a little bit of dynamic loss is a compromise that I am more than willing to make.   In Billy Idol’s Eyes Without A Face, the bass line played by Sal Cuevas is beautifully rendered, and demonstrates the DN-2000’s ability to produce full-bodied base without creating excessive bloat.

The midrange is good, and is presented in a comfortable manner that is neither overly forward nor laidback.  Vocals sound clear and have just the right amount of energy.  However the midrange is slightly lush.  This very slight hint of coloration became more obvious when I listened to string quartets and solos.  The DN-2000 doesn’t quite have enough grain, which weakens its interpretations of small group classical pieces like Schubert’s String Quintet in C Major.

The treble is clear and detailed without sounding overly analytical.  It feels natural, and well integrated with the other parts of the frequency spectrum.  This, combined with excellent base performance, helps to create a truly outstanding soundstage with strong macrodynamics.  Good instrumental separation provides enough microdynamics for fairly detailed renderings without causing the user's ears to become overly tired.  Listening to Águas de Março (Waters Of March) by Antonio Carlos Jobim/ Elis Regina, I felt like I was in the middle of the live room in a recording studio.  The piano, guitar, and other instruments were well separated, and when combined with the great vocals, created an aural image that was both engaging and extremely impressive.

FINAL THOUGHTS

The DN-2000 is a very good pair of IEMs.  The sound quality is top-notch, and holds its own within its price range (and then some). Moving past its quirky design and certain aspects of its build quality, it is obvious that Dunu has produced a winner.  If you're looking for a pair of earphones that has good bass and treble performance, slightly sweeter mids, and a grand soundstage, then I'd heartily recommend the DN-2000.

Thanks for reading, and happy listening!

Best Regards,

Thatonenoob

Miscellaneous Thoughts (Click to show)

Pros: Sound, Build, Accessories, Design

Cons: Case

First I’d like to thank Rocky from Dunu for sending me a DN-2000 to review. Those who have been following the mid-range IEM market might have heard of Dunu and their previous flagship, the DN-1000. I have to admit, not long ago, I had never heard of Dunu, but after I heard the DN-1000, I began to read some reviews on their other products, and all their IEMs seemed to look very impressive and have a somewhat boosted bass. Dunu has recently come out with a new model, the DN-2000, which is what I will be reviewing today.

Some of you may have seen my Dunu DN-1000 review that I wrote a while back. I really enjoyed the DN-1000 a lot, and I found them to be a rather special and unique IEM. The bass especially was the highlight, being very hard hitting but relatively fast and detailed. I was expecting quite a lot from the DN-2000, being priced at $315. They are quite a bit more than the DN-1000, but feature the same driver configuration. Although it doesn’t state this anywhere, I think that the dual BAs are probably the same as the DN-1000’s (TWFK) but tuned differently. I am almost certain that the dynamic driver has been changed, however.

Having heard quite a few TWFK based IEMs, I have learnt that most of them that have extra drivers do not sound the same in the frequencies that the TWFKs produce sound at all. I’m pretty sure the T-Peos H300 uses the TWFKs for the midrange and treble and compared to the DN-1000, they are vastly different. I tried to keep an open mind about the DN-2000 even though Rocky had already told me what they sounded like. Anyway, let’s get onto the review.

**Disclaimer** These were given to me in return for an unbiased, truthful review.

Unboxing & Accessories
Dunu is known for including a ton of accessories with their IEMs, but often, their box is not nearly as nice. Boxes don’t really matter that much, but they do leave a first impression on customer and both the DN-1000 and DN-900’s boxes left me wanting a bit more. However, Dunu has certainly stepped up with the DN-2000. Quite simply, the unboxing experience is epic and think the DN-2000 is the most impressively packaged IEM that I have seen. It makes their DN-1000 and H300 packaging just seem plain bad.

The Dunu DN-2000, like their other models come with a wide variety of accessories. There is literally everything that you need in there. It comes with a cable clip, 6.35mm adapter, 10 pairs of tips, including a pair of foams, the wings, ear hooks, spacers, airplane adapter and of course, the wonderful silver case. I do have one gripe about the case though. Yes, it looks absolutely stunning, but it is really not that practical, not unlike the DN-900 one. It is just too big to carry around everywhere. My favourite case for IEMs is the TF-10/DN-1000 case, it is sturdy, compact and nice looking. I do hope that in the future Dunu go with those cases instead.

Design, Isolation & Cable
Let’s start with the build quality. Dunu has a reputation for building IEMs which are extremely tough with their metallic exterior and the DN-2000 is no different. Instead of the silver that they used in the DN-1000 and 900, they opted to go for a gold colour this time. The DN-2000 doesn’t quite feel as sturdy as the DN-1000, but it is a lot lighter and is less prone to slipping out of your ears. As far as looks go, I might just prefer the DN-2000 a little more, but this depends on people. The plug on the DN-1000 is smaller and I am not a fan of the DN-2000’s serial number being on the plug, but it’s no big deal. The included wings are so that people can get a more comfortable and secure fit. If you wear them over the ear like I do, you can’t use them, nor do you need to. If you are wearing them straight down, however, they do help a bit. The strain reliefs feel solid enough, but not too solid, it definitely feels like it will stand up over time.

The isolation is nothing special here. You can get quite a deep insertion if you use the red spacers, but it just doesn’t isolate that well. I would say that are on par with the DN-1000 in this regard, but they seem a bit worse because the heavier bass of the DN-1000 seems to drown out more background noise. Overall, the isolation is very acceptable, but don’t expect Shure or Etymotic isolation here.

I believe that the cables used in the DN series are all the same and I really do love them. People on the Dunu DN-1000 thread have been complaining that the cables go still around the top, where the cable goes into the housing, but I really have not experienced this with the DN-1000s at all. Maybe it has something to do with sweat or something. The cable is very soft, flexible and there is that cable winder thing. I never really use it, but who knows, you might really like it.

Testing Gear
This was very interesting. I actually liked the DN-2000 best straight out of the DX90. Adding an O2 amp seemed to make the upper midrange a little dull and adding the UHA760 didn’t really change anything. The O2 sounded almost identical to the DX90 by itself, but I think the lower bass may have been a little softer, which I didn’t like. I also tried the DN-2000 with other players such as the DX50 and HM700. They actually paired quite well with the DX50, being very articulate and clear, but the upper midrange was a little sharp. The HM700 was an OK pairing, but it was nothing special. The DN-2000 doesn’t need much amping, but it really scales well with a better source.

Sound Quality
I really liked the two IEMs that I have heard from Dunu – the 900 and 1000. Both of them were unique and I especially enjoyed the bass, their dynamic drivers really did pack a nice punch. I’ve always had a thing for hybrid IEMs after the 1plus2 and RDB v1 because I love the clarity and detail from BAs, but prefer the rumbling dynamic driver bass. Both the DN-900 and DN-1000 achieved this and I was quite certain that the DN-2000 would best both of them. Boy, was I surprised when I heard them! They were quite different from what I was expecting.

Bass
The reason why I prefer dynamic driver bass over BA drivers is that no BA driver IEM that I have heard has managed to achieve the bass that the best dynamic driver IEMs that I have heard. The best bass that I have heard from an IEM would have to be the 1plus2, followed by the RDB v1 and I must say that DN-2000 does mighty fine for its price. The DN-1000 is a lot bassier and it took me quite a while to adjust. The bass was a lot less in quantity that I was expecting, but it completely blew me away with its quality. It is simply so detailed, so clean, so fast, so hard to fault. The DN-1000 was a little too bassy for me and initially the DN-2000 lacked a little bass, but after a little more listening the bass quantity seemed to increase and now it is the perfect balance between fun and neutral. It is incredibly detailed with a solid impact and it much faster than the DN-1000. Sub-bass is quite linear, but it does not have as much rumble as the DN-1000, which also makes it cleaner. The quantity is a bit more than neutral, there is no doubt about that. I really think that the bass is perfect for its cost and I really could not ask for anything more.

Midrange
Every dynamic and TWFK hybrid that I have heard are all somewhat V shaped, some more so than others. The DN-1000 was quite V shaped, the treble was north of neutral and the bass was very heavy. As a result, the mids were pulled back, a little more than my liking. I find that when the midrange is recessed, I have to turn then volume up a little to compensate for the softer vocals. When I first listened to the DN-2000, it was clear that the midrange was not as recessed as the DN-1000, it was still pulled back, but not as much, probably something to do with the less heavy bass. The midrange is a hair brighter than then the DN-1000, which is quite neutral in terms of tonality. Even when I turned them up, there was no hint of sibilance, which was a relief, because that was my main concern when Rocky told me that the DN-2000 had brighter mids and treble compared to the DN-1000. However, some people hear sibilance in then DN-1000, which I don’t hear at all, so if you are one of them, then you will probably hear sibilance in the DN-2000 as well. Clarity and detail is exceptional and vocals sound so clear. The midrange is perfect if you like a slightly brighter signature.

Treble
Ah, treble is perhaps the most debated thing about IEMs because some people, like me, are more tolerant to treble, while others are extremely sensitive to it. I once read a review on the SE215s which said that the treble was too hot for him and that he just could not stand this. I found this rather weird because I own a SE215 and I, along with many other SE215 owners agree that the treble is quite rolled off. Anyway, I find that the DN-2000 is just about at my sweet spot, maybe a tiny bit more than what I prefer. I prefer the silver spacers over any of the other colours. The pink/red ones just sound a bit too bright. The silver ones are perfect for me. The detail of the cymbals are quite stunning. Every tap of the drumstick on the cymbals are well defined and they are so realistically rendered. The cymbals are not too sharp but definitely not dull, just right. They seem a little bit brighter than the DN-1000’s treble, which can be either good or bad depending on what sound signature you like. Personally, I don’t really mind. I do prefer the DN-2000’s treble because it is cleaner and it sounds more airy overall.

Soundstage & Imaging
From the DN-1000 to the DN-2000, the most noticeable upgrade for me would have to be the soundstage. Those who have read what I think about the DN-1000 will know that I hear it as having a large soundstage that is very well presented. The DN-2000, however, takes it up another notch and every aspect of the soundstage is improved on. It is wider, taller and has more depth to it. I get a feeling that there is more space compared to the DN-1000 and the entire presentation just feels more realistic. It is almost as if the DN-1000 is like a band performing on a stage while the DN-2000 is as if they are in a concert hall. I am extremely impressed with the DN-2000’s soundstage.

Wow, the imaging on these simply blew me away. These have a very unique way of presenting music and as a result, they are quite different from the DN-1000. Compared to the DN-2000, the DN-1000 seems a little 2D and flat whilst the DN-2000 has a way of layering the music. I can’t really explain it, but it is quite interested. Instruments seem a little smaller than the DN-1000 on average and it seems like I am sitting back a row. The imaging is more precise and cleaner than the DN-1000’s. This is clearly an upgrade from the 1K and I love it!

Separation, Detail & Clarity
The DN-2000 really doesn’t seem to do anything wrong and it excels in these three areas as well. Let’s start with the separation, it’s just wonderful. Just about every TWFK driver IEM I have heard is detailed and generally they have good separation. To be honest, I wasn’t really expecting much of an upgrade over the DN-1000 in this area, because after all, they do use the same drive and the DN-2000 doesn’t cost vastly more right? Well, no, the DN-2000’s separation is amazing and it truly trumps the DN-1000 here. Instruments can be easier made out and the softer sounding things in the background are more noticeable as well. Overall I am extremely impressed by what Dunu have managed to do here.

For me, usually if an IEM has strong separation, its detail will be good as well. This case is no different. I swear that I heard some microdetails there that I just could not make out when I was listening to the DN-1000. Overall, the brighter sound signature really does bring out the details weaved into the music and honestly, I don’t think you are going to get much, if any, improvement unless you are looking to spend around $1000 on a pair of IEMs. The detail on the DN-2000s are stunning for their price.

The clarity, not unlike the details, really show through because of the DN-2000’s tuning. I must applaud Dunu’s designer, he has really tuned the DN-2000 very nicely. It really brings out the details from them and the clarity on the instruments and vocals are just as good. Instruments sound sharp and the decay is just right, neither too short or too long and vocals are nicely balanced, but are among the clearest I’ve come across in its price range. From memory, it absolutely smashes the AX60, which are in the same price range.

Accuracy
This section is basically just contrasting the DN-2000s to what I perceive as perfectly flat. For me, they have a slightly boosted bass response, a slightly pulled back, cool midrange and a slightly upfront, bright treble. If you are looking for a flat IEM, the DN-2000 might not be the best choice. From what people say, those who are after a neutral sounding IEM, the ER4S is a good choice, or, the Noble 4 that I have on hand is also a good IEM, but it costs quite a bit more. They do, however, sound very natural and is great for someone who wants a relatively neutral but fun sound.

Comparisons
I will compare these to what people view as the main competitor, the T-Peos H-300 and the Noble 4 that I also happen to have on hand. I won’t bother with a DN-1000 one because the entire review contains heaps of DN-1000 references already.

DN-2000 vs H-300
I find the H-300 has a very controversial sound signature – that is, some people will love it, while others will hate it. If I had to be on one side, it would have to be the hate side, because I really do not like it at all, but it’s not that simple. The H-300 is a very capable IEM, but it has quite a horrible tuning. The bass is very nice and more potent than that of the DN-2000, especially in the mid-bass. I will call them a draw, which one is better depends on your preferences. The midrange of the H-300 is its largest flaw for me, being peaky, sibilant and nasal sounding. It simply cannot compete with the DN-2000’s clear, detailed midrange. Those that find the DN-2000’s midrange a little bright will find the H-300’s mids unbearable. The treble has the same problem of being too emphasized and is just too bright for me. It actually blocks some details because the cymbals linger too long and are overly emphasized. The DN-2000’s soundstage and imaging is much more capable and so is its separation and detail. For me, the DN-2000 is the undisputed champion over the H-300, I just cannot see myself preferring the H-300anytime soon.

DN-2000 vs Noble 4
The Noble 4 is the first IEM designed by the wizard I have heard and boy, am I impressed. It really doesn’t do anything wrong, it produces a very unobtrusive sound that you really can’t hate. And I love it. It is very balanced and detailed, as well as having nice imaging. The only thing that is lacking is the soundstage, which is quite apparent next to the DN-2000. The bass is lighter and more neutral, which some may prefer, but I just think that the DN-2000’s bass has more dynamics and better detail. The midrange is a harder call, both are on the cooler side of things, the DN-2000 more so than then N4. The mids are more upfront with the N4 whilst the DN-2000 has ever so slightly recessed mids. It really comes down to your preference, I can’t call this one. The treble is beautifully extended on both of the IEMs, but the DN-2000 is brighter. Again, I feel technically they are too close to call, but personally I think I might just prefer the N4 treble by a hair. The imaging is ever so slightly better on the DN-2000, whilst the soundstage is quite a lot larger. Detail and separation are about the same, but strangely, I find the DN-2000 slightly more detailed while the N4 has slightly better separation. Overall, I’d have to say I prefer the DN-2000 by a bit because of it’s very expansive soundstage, and do note that the Noble 4s cost $450 while the DN-2000s cost $315, so this is quite a feat, because the N4s are one of the best IEMs I’ve heard under $500.

Conclusion
Well we’ve finally reached the end and I feel the urge to again, say how good I think the DN-2000s are. Sure, they have some minor flaws, but what doesn’t. I think that if Dunu added a detachable cable and a smaller case, people would be willing to pay a lot more. In terms of sound, they certainly punch well above their price and personally, I think that look great. For $315 I really can’t ask for anything more. As always, I hoped this review helped and feel free to leave comments below.

Pros: Incredibly addictive midrange and vocals, superb bass and treble, and excellent everything else

Cons: Non-rounded rear edges could be slightly uncomfortable depending on your ear size and shape

First of all, a big THANK YOU to @rockywu for providing the review unit. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be included as one of the first reviewers

This is the second triple hybrid IEM from Dunu (DN2k), and the third hybrid overall; the first one being the well-regarded, the legendary DN-1000 triple-hybrid (DN1k), and there’s also the mid-centric DN-900 dual-hybrid.

When I first heard about DN-2000, @rockywu boasted that this will be an improvement over the DN1k, and overall will be a better sounding unit. I was rather sceptical to be perfectly honest as I was not sure how to improve something that is already incredibly good-sounding IEM. As we all know (or at least those of us who’ve heard or owned DN1k) upon its release, DN1k ‘set’ the standard to hybrid IEM in terms of sound and value. In my humble opinion, it really did smashed many of its similarly priced competitor, as well as some of the higher-priced competitors

So, upon receiving the DN2k, my expectation is kind of high, and the most intriguing thing for me is finding out how this is tuned.

The components that I used for this review are as follows

• iPod Classic (straight, and through C&C BH)
  • Sansa Clip+
  • Desktop (through Aune T1)
  • MacBook Air (straight out, and through Dragonfly)
  • 320k MP3’s, 16/44 and 24/96 FLAC’s

Packaging and accessories

The packaging of DN2k is very well made, very well designed, and can easily be displayed in retail stores and shopping centres. The usual hard carton outer with book style opening, which reveals graphical information on the other side of the lid, and the right side displays the unit itself with a transparent plastic cover.

Tips wise, you literally get tons of them; the clear silicone ‘bass/liquid’ tips (S/M/L), the grey silicone ‘delicate/resolution’ tips (S/M/L), the dual-flanges silicone tips (S/M/L), and a pair of foam (M)

Further on, you also get few pairs of fins and wings, airline adaptor, large adaptor, 3 sizes of spacer rings (owner of DN1k and DN-900 will be familiar with these), a pair of ear guides, and a shirt clip

Last but not least, the silver carry box. It does feel solid, however, personally I still prefer the Pelican-esque yellow case that comes with DN-900

Build Quaility, Isolation, and Comfort

The body is barrel type, almost identical to DN1k. Feels incredibly solid and can withstand some rough treatments

In general, the weight is slightly lighter than DN1k, however, for some reason the rear outer ring body, where the Dunu logo is, DN1k feels smoother and rounder, whereas this feels a little rougher. As a result of this, it feels slightly more uncomfortable compared to DN1k, especially during long session. Thankfully, Dunu has included some fins and wings to add to comfort, as well as holding the earpieces in.

Isolation is on par with DN1k, and to some extend it can depends on the size and depth of your canal, for those whose canal is deeper and bigger, you can push this right in for deeper fit, and hence isolate slightly better to those who can only do shallow fit.

SOUND QUALITY

A quick note here before we go on to the sound, historically I like using large-bore tips whenever possible, mainly because of the bigger soundstage, and enhanced bass effect to some extent. The same applies here, for the purpose of this review, I am using the grey turbine style tips that came with DN1k, to me, this is one of the best silicone tips that I have ever used. I also use the UE single flange, and MEElec single flange, all of which are large bore

Bass

First and foremost, this is not for basshead, it has less impact and power compared to its sibling, DN1k. I would say that the bass is tuned in the middle between neutral and DN1k level, but the best thing is that it can really slams hard and leave you breathless when called upon, for example in tracks such as Estelle’s Make Her Say, and Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’ Cowboy Boots

The timbre and extension are just nothing short of superb, the way it renders the bass drum in Jack Johnson’s ‘Upside Down’, and ‘What You Thought You Need’ leave you wanting for more, just the perfect quantity. The bass extends way down to sub bass level and almost beyond, as I can hear the bass all the way down to 10hz without any problem whatsoever. H-300 and DN1k for example, I can only pick up the bass from around 15hz.

Hip hop and RnB lovers, I can understand that they might be hanging for more, as unlike H-300 and DN1k, there is almost no lingering decay. EDM lovers however, in my opinion this is perfect for it, in Pryda’s ‘F.A.T’ the bass hits deep, hard, and fast.

Midrange

This is the centre showcase of DN2k, the midrange is slightly forward, incredibly detailed, clear, and oh-so-sweet, and overall, it’s just absolutely addictive. Ever since I received my unit, and after the first listen, all I want to do is just to listen to vocal tracks, especially live, acoustics, jazz, or unplugged albums. In comparison to DN1k, the latter sounds warmer, slightly thicker, and a touch muddy. Have a listen to Natalie Cole’s track ‘Walkin’ My Baby Back Home’ and you will know exactly what I mean about how addictive the midrange and vocal are.

Vocals are renders beautifully and so sweetly, full of energy, and incredibly airy, especially female vocals, and it’s free from peaks and distortion, so much so, when listening to album such as Diana Krall’s Live in Paris, Peter Malick Group feat Norah Jones’ The Deluxe Collection, or Natalie Cole’s ‘Still Unforgettable’, after every tracks, it makes you just want to repeat the last song you played.

I can almost say that I almost can’t fault the midrange at all, however, there are some occasions where I picked up slight peaks when I turn the volume up too high to an almost unhealthy level., but then again, not many people would listen this loud

Treble

The treble is clear, has excellent extension, has the perfect amount of sparkle, brightness and warmth, and yet, it is clean from peaks and sibilance. It sits nicely just behind the midrange, a good example of this can be heard in Diana Krall’s ‘I Love Being Here With You’ from ‘Live in Paris’ album, the cymbals sit behind the guitar and vocal. In comparison, something like H-300 renders the cymbals pretty full on in your face

This is one area where the similarities to DN1k can be heard, though in the case of DN2k’s, it is a bit more detailed, and has slightly more sparkle

People who are sensitive to bright treble should not be concerned at all, as I can listen to this all day and night without getting fatigued. Also, just like the midrange, it is free of peaks and sibilance.

Soundstage, Transparency, Imaging, Timbre,  and Amping

Soundstage is pretty big, wide, and has a decent depth. It’s not as deep as DN1k, H-300, nor AX60 however.

Transparency and Imaging, although they are excellent, they are slightly less refined compared to H-300, although I must say, I do think that the brightness and sparkle of H-300 are the reason why it sounds a bit more transparent

Timbre is also brilliant, tracks such as Jack Johnson’s “What You Thought You Need” and Maroon 5’s “Secret” sound unbelievable, as snare drum, and both bass and acoustic guitars are rendered superbly.

Amping, although is not necessary for DN2k, but it does help to some extent, especially in the bass department. By having a little bit more power pumped through its drivers, it certainly benefits the bass as it adds to the fullness of the bass.

COMPARISON TO OTHER HYBRIDS

T-PEOS H-300 (Triple Hybrid)

These 2 show how far hybrid IEM’s have become, and how good of a product you can get for around $300. With similar pricing, and released around the same time, there is no doubt that these 2 are competing for our hard earned money.

To start things of, in the bass department, there is one clear winner there, the H-300. With its big, thick, and deep bass, DN2k bass feels incredibly light and soft next to it. However, DN2k bass is tighter, quicker, and has much shorter decay, and therefore more suitable towards genre such as rock, metal, or even EDM. I also feel that DN2k’s bass has slightly better extension, and for a non-basshead, H-300’s may sounds a touch boomy.

Moving on to the midrange, DN2k trumps over H-300 with its clear, sweet, and detailed midrange. H-300 has this strangely tuned midrange that makes vocal feels constraints, and that annoying upper mid spike, which I was having some troubles with. Furthermore, vocals feel a lot sweeter and easier on the ear, and a lot less fatiguing, as there is no noticeable spikes anywhere in DN2k’s midrange.

To the treble, I think this is rather on par, depending on your treble preference, and your resistance towards bright treble. I love H-300’s treble with its amazing clarity and details, but at the same time, listening for a long session can cause fatigue. DN2k’s on the other hand, the treble cohesion with the midrange is just superb, it’s slightly bright too (though not as bright as H-300’s), has slightly better extension, and sits just slight behind the midrange. Despite the brightness, it is nowhere near as fatiguing as H-300, and I can absolutely listen to DN2k all day and all night without any fatigue whatsoever.

H-300 has slightly bigger and deeper soundstage compared to DN2k, imaging and transparency is just about on par with each other. I personally prefer DN2k, but I can see most bassheads would prefer H-300

Sony H3 (Triple Hybrid)

Another decent triple hybrid with its unique ‘Sony’s house sound’, first of the rank is the bass, compared to DN2k, H3’s sounds a little slow and boomy, though it has much bigger impact, and sub-bass is just about the same. H3’s bass is also warmer and slightly thicker

Moving on to the midrange, DN2k is yet again the clear winner here, as H3’s midrange sounds recessed, veiled, and grainier. The vocal of H3 also sounds distant and much less prominent compared to DN2k.

Treble wise, both of them have similar extension and detail level, though H3’s sounds slightly warmer and grainier, and on the other side of the coin, DN2k’s is brighter, and has better clarity.

AudioFly AF140 (Triple Hybrid)

I wasn’t going to do this comparison to be honest as I will be doing a full review of this very soon, but I thought since I have both review units with me at this moment, I thought what the hell, and decided to give AF140 a day dedication just for comparison purposes

Let’s start with bass, AF140 has bigger impact, though with its slightly boosted midbass, it sounds a little muddy compared to DN2k. It also has warmer and thicker bass, though DN2k wins in the sub-bass department and it also has better extension.

Midrange wise, DN2k is the clear winner here, AF140’s sounds a bit recessed, a little veiled, and the vocals sound a bit distant compared to DN2k, and DN2k is doing a much better job in rendering the vocals. Treble wise, AF140 has a warmer and darker treble compared to DN2k, and it also sounds mellower. Soundstage wise, width is similar, and DN2k has slightly better depth.

Rooth LSX5 (Five-drivers Hybrid. Universal)

One of my recent favourite, we compare the midrange to start of proceedings, which  unfortunately sounds a little  peaky and vocals sound a bit harsh compared to DN2k.

In the bass department, speed, extension, and depth are similar, though impact wise the LSX5 has the upper hand here, as well as having a warmer and thicker bass note.

Last but not least, LSX5’s treble also sounds a touch harsh and much more prone to sibilance, however, it does sound more refined.

Conclusion

How do you improve on excellence? The answer is DN2k. Dunu has done an excellent job here is the sound tuning of DN2k, as in my opinion, it is one step ahead of DN1k.

I honestly can’t fault this awesome unit, as I absolutely love everything about it, it I have to pick one fault, then it would have to be a non-rounded outer rear body, which can lead to uncomfortableness in over ear wearing, and straight down to some extent.

I can’t remember any other IEM that made me fall in love on first listen, except maybe Tralucent 1P2 (but let’s be fair here, this thing cost quadruple of DN2k’s), and perhaps UE TF10, which gave me an introduction to the world of multi-driver IEM.

Even at $315 MSRP, this certainly punches way above its price level, and leaves its similarly priced competitor on their wake, at this point of time, to be honest I prefer the sound of DN2k, even if compared to the more established and pricier 5-drivers hybrid competitors such as Rooth LSX5 and UM Merlin.

Well done Dunu, and I will surely be interested and intrigued on how are you going to improve the sound even further with DN-3000

Pros: Clarity, Transparency, Surprisingly detailed bass

Cons: Treble which lacks extension

As there already four reviews I shall keep this one short and sweet.

Initial impressions: Holy cow! Accessories galore, beautiful balanced sound and more accessories.

The sound has grown on me over the months and actually changed my sound preferences. Overall these are what I would call neutral but not necessarily natural. The flavor consists of dry, clean, transparency with a bite of lemon.

Treble: In a nutshell basically the treble is very detailed but doesn't quite have the extension to reach its ambitions. It can be very sharp at times with a bad recording and prone to sibilance with the wrong tips and spacers. I find it a little brittle and forced but timber is pretty good and it tries its very best to throw as much detail at you as it possibly can.

Mids: Wow this is one thing I love so much about these iem's. Clear and transparent I wouldn't call them forward but they certainly aren't recessed and with a slight volume boost can be brought forward to your own liking. Coming from the Fischer amps Fa-4e XB I suddenly realized what I had been missing all this time, emotion ! Although the mids can be a little thin at times with the right track, ear tips, spacers and volume the mid range can become highly addictive as you get caught up in each instrument and listen to vocals shining through their pronounced transparency and emotion into your ears and into your heart. The 2000s have made me rethink what I like most when listening to music and the mid range whilst not quite perfect has shed some light on what I love most.

Bass: Surprises is what the Dunu offer in the bass department. I am a self confessed bass head and although I would not call these bass heavy by any stretch they have this innate ability to just slam, bang  and rumble when awoken. The bass to me is almost perfect, ask me about eight months ago to listen to these and say that statement I would have laughed in your face. But then again preferences change and these have altered my thinking, I now know music doesn't have to be clouded with a heap of artificial bass to sound musical. It's a pleasure to listen when the sub bass kicks in it always reaches deep with such great quality and texture one can only really expect from a dynamic driver.

Sounstage, Instrument Separation: Where to begin this is kinda a mixed bag on a good day these things have a great soundstage, well placed not entirely three dimensional but fairly encompassing shines with some good trance tracks :wink_face:. I don't know how to fully articulate this part of the sound signature as it really varies from track to track all I will say is width is great but over all height could be improved for a more holographic sound. These do posses the skills to separate instruments very well and present the music in an airy manor giving each instrument its own personal space to breath.

In conclusion I find these to be an incredible bargain for the price. If you're after a balanced iem with great transparency and great sub bass just get these and be done with it. There are areas where I feel like things could be improved but this is a touch more subjective rather than objective.

Warning: Do not pull the grey wings to hard back as I managed to pull the back piece of my earphones off, whilst still fully functioning its not recommended you do this I almost cried thinking I had broken them, although nothing a bit of super glue can't fix ha.

Gear used: Clas Solo-db + Duet + Balanced interconnect.  Tips, spacers used: Finally settled on the blue spacers and foam tips due to overall comfort and isolation.

Pros: Natural sounding, very smooth tonality, with very good detail.

Cons: A bit mid centric for my sonic preferences.

Hybrid 3 ways: 2x Balance Armature + 1x 10mm Dynamic driver

I've let around 6 of my friends (non head-fier's) to try DN-2000, without first telling them how much it cost, or what technology behind it, simply just ask them to try it, and to see their initial honest impression. All impressions were an honest "WOW". They simply amazed by how beautiful DN-2000 sounds. DN-2000 does have that initial ‘Wow’ factor. But frankly, after using them regularly for about a month now, that wow factor does fade a little on me. I guess it is simply because the bass is a bit lacking to my liking.

'Highly refined sonic character' maybe the simplest way to describe DN-2000 sound signature. It has natural tonal balance with very good level of detail and resolution. Wide frequency coverage from very low bass to upper treble, in a natural manner, flat smooth without any annoying peak and dip. Clarity and transparency are good, without sounding analytic. Spacious and open sounding, with very focused and clear imaging. Very clear instrument separation and placement. DN-2000 renders the room or hall reverberation very clearly in a natural manner. Somehow I can hear room's reverberation easier on DN-2000, better than DN-1000 and FX850. I notice this quality when I was listening the album of Dr. Chesky's Sensational, Fantastic, and Simply Amazing Binaural Sound Show. DN-2000 is simply sensational with binaural recordings. Maybe one of the best IEM for binaural recordings.

I was expecting DN-2000 to be an upgrade from my favorite DN-1000, but in my opinion, it is not. They have different sound signature, and I don't consider DN-1000 (with the JVC EP-FX8 eartips) inferior to DN-2000. IMHO both DN-1000 and DN-2000 are in the same level of top quality IEMs. It is a matter of personal sonic preferences, they are great in their own way.

Midrange is the strength of DN-2000, sweet, smooth, spacious, and detailed. Simply charming and beautiful midrange. A tad warmer than DN-1000, but not as warm as FX850. The midrange could be beautifully mesmerizing, but the quality is highly dependent on the headphone amplifier. When the pairing is not optimal, the midrange sounds loose, lacking definition, with nasal-sounding vocal. There is a little emphasize on 400-600 Hz area on DN-2000, but the intensity is quite different from player to player. I heard the highest intensity of that mid hump is when DN-2000 paired with DX90. For recording like the Chesky ‘The World Greatest Audiophile Vocal Recording’, I hear a rather annoying nasal sound on the vocal, slightly stronger than what I perceived as natural vocal sound. The midrange also sounds a bit glaring, and less detailed. This unnatural nasal sound and ‘midrange glaring’ could be one of the indications of whether the player / amp are a good matching for DN-2000 or not. From the gears used in this review, the DACs and amp seem to be more capable to drive DN-2000 properly than the DAPs. Fiio E12DIY with AD8599 Op-Amp + LME49600 buffer is one of my favourite amp for DN-2000. The ring adjustment reduces this mid hump. The silver ring gives me the most balanced tonal balanced with the 2K Tips.

Comparing the headphone output of DX90 and the headphone output of Fiio E12DIY using DIY switch box.

DN-2000 somehow reminds me of my Beyerdynamic T1. They don’t share the same tonality, but there are some midrange qualities that make my mind relate it to my T1. Most probably the sweet, smooth, spacious, and detailed midrange of DN-2000. T1 still excels in detail, but DN-2000 as an IEM, also has an excellent level of detail. Using foobar equalizer, I tried to equalize DN-2000 to mimic T1 tonal balance, to observe the difference of bass and treble level between the two. The estimated result is, DN-2000 has about 4 dB more bass (80 Hz downward), and about 3 dB less treble (8 kHz onward) than T1. To my ears, only from the tonal balance perspective, I prefer DN-2000 tonal balance than the T1's. I always feel my T1 is a bit bright and lacking a bit bass. But T1 as a full size headphone is still better in detail and spaciousness. This is just a simplistic comparison to give some idea of how DN-2000 sounds in comparison to T1. In this comparison, I used Yulong DA8 headphone output for DN-2000, and Yulong A28 balanced headphone output for T1.

Bass has very good low bass extension, good body, and at natural level. But bass rather lacking of bass slam and impact. Bass level is the lowest among the 3, but still considered natural and far from anaemic bass. Simple EQ to shelf-up 50-80 Hz region improves the bass nicely. On foobar I just need around 2-3 dB shelf-up on 55 & 77 Hz, and then gently roll down. But on my DAP like DX90 and X5, sometime more than 3-4 dB boost is what I like. All EQ don't behave in the same manner, so the level of bass boost might vary.

When reading user impressions on the impression thread, mostly agree that the bass although extends low but lacking of punch and impact, and the midrange is very beautiful. But for the treble, there are mix impressions. Some say the treble rolls off early, some say neutral, some say bright. I did experience both the treble that sounds roll off early and neutral. I don’t experience bright treble, unless the recording is bright and DN-2000 just honestly reveals it. As mentioned before, DN-2000 quite sensitive with the amplifier. With Fiio X5 headphone output I hear soft treble that lacks of extension, but when connected to Fiio E12DIY amplifier with input from Fiio X5 line out, the treble extension is open up and DN-2000 treble sounds neutral and very transparent, especially when using the silver ring adjustment.

DN-2000 with the stock 2K eartips, without ring adjustment, treble is silky smooth and slightly softer than the midrange level. Treble extension is reasonably good, and I don't consider the treble rolls off early, but treble is not as airy as DN-1000. The midrange level is slightly more dominant than the treble, especially when listening classical music at low volume. I do prefer to have slightly more airy treble when listening classical. But for Chesky and other modern genres recordings, treble and midrange sound balanced. So I consider the DN-2000 treble is sometime on the softer side of neutral, but not lacking and not bright. Silver ring helps to improve the soft treble to a more balance level with the midrange.

Treble quality is good, no annoying peak and dip, very smooth and sounds natural, although slightly less airy when compared to DN-1000. DN-2000 treble is affected by the value of the amplifier output impedance, so always use amplifier with less than 10 ohms output impedance for best treble clarity and transparency. Not only output impedance, but also the amplifier high frequency characteristic can be easily heard from the perceived treble quality.

Overall dynamic is good, lively, & never sounds compressed. But bass dynamic is just average due to slightly lacking of bass slam and impact.

Many multi drivers IEM suffers from incoherency between the drivers, that the drivers don't sound coherently in the same phase, like an ideal one single driver. This is mostly caused by the less than optimum crossover circuit, or the drivers don't have the same speed, as the woofer usually heavier and slower than the tweeter. From what I hear, DN-2000 does not suffer from any incoherency. Coherency is excellent on DN-2000 when properly paired with matching amplifier.

Beside the grey 2K silicone eartips, Comply T-500 foam eartips is my next favourite eartips for DN-2000, especially for classical music, for a more airy sound. Comply T-500 sounds slightly better than DN-2000 stock foam eartips, less bright, with a more natural airy treble. The JVC EP-FX8 eartips are not very good on DN-2000, sound thin and bright, lacking of bass and midrange body.

I tried all the ring adjustment, and I prefer the tonal balance of the 2K Tips with silver ring. The silver ring reduces the mids level a little bit, and improves the bass and treble level. But I’m also fine with the tonality without any ring. The blue and red rings shape the tonality more towards V shape tonality.

DN-2000 might not be for bass lover. Those who are looking for powerful bass with good bass slam and impact better look elsewhere. But for those who are looking for natural tonal balance with highly refined sonic characteristic will find DN-2000 is hard to beat at any price level.

Tonality: Natural with slight warm accent. Smooth, refined, and detailed. Slight emphasize on the midrange area.
Bass: Natural in level, good bass body, extends very low, but rather lacking in bass punch and impact.
Midrange: Simply very natural, beautiful & refined. Slightly fuller, warmer, and more forward than DN-1000.
Treble: Silky smooth and detailed, slightly softer then the midrange level, good clarity but slightly lacking of airiness.
Detail: Very detailed, but in a natural way, not in an exaggerated way like what we use to hear on analytic IEMs.
Imaging: Spacious and 3 dimensional, renders room acoustic in natural manner.
Dynamic and Transient: Bass dynamic is a bit weak and not so realistic, but midrange to treble sound fast and realistic.
Noise isolation: Good.
Comfort: DN-2000, like DN-1000 has large diameter nozzle, around 5.8 mm diameter. This large nozzle could be an issue for small ear canals. For me, DN-2000 is very comfortable, as comfortable as the DN-1000. I always wear it over the ears, so the grey silicone fins are not useful for me. Shape wise, I prefer the DN-1000 housing, smooth bullet shape, without the hook for the silicone fin.

Build & design: Housing design doesn’t look as good and durable as DN-1000. Hard edges are prone to dent and scratches.

DN-2000 after around 1 month of use. Some scratches on the hard edges.

Burn-In

I didn’t notice any significant changes before and after 2 days burn-in.

Effect of high output impedance amplifier
Multi drivers IEM tonal balance is usually prone to amplifier output impedance due to their crossover circuit.  Tonal balance could change drastically with the change of amplifier output impedance, like what I found with ATH-IM02, where the treble level increases quite a lot with the increase of amplifier output impedance.

In this review I use the two outputs of LH Geek Out 450 for the test, one with 0.47 ohm output impedance (low Z), the other one with 47 ohms output impedance (high Z). I noticed when moving from low Z to high Z output, the treble level reduced, resulting a warmer and less transparent sound. The differences is mild to moderate, not really extreme. The high output impedance causes DN-2000 treble rolls off early. DACport has around 10 ohms output impedance, and DN-2000 sounds wonderful with DACport. I also tested with a DIY extension that I put 22 ohms resistor in series in the connector, treble level reduction started to become too evident, but generally still acceptable. So I conclude that DN-2000 still performs quite well with amplifier output impedance up to 20 ohm, which is practically acceptable. Beyond 20 ohms treble will start to sound too soft. For those with high output impedance player or DAC, like 1st gen AK100 (20 ohms) or old version of Meridian Explorer DAC (50 ohms), or when using smart phone that generally has rather high output impedance headphone output (in the range of 50 ohms), please take note.

More reading here:

On DN-2000, low output impedance will improve clarity and transparency, while high output impedance will reduces the clarity and transparency. Output impedance of 10 ohms or lower is recommended for best performance. Output impedance higher than 20 ohm is not recommended, as DN-2000 started to lose too much treble clarity & transparency.

Gears matching
Although DN-2000 is relatively easy to drive, and doesn't require large voltage swing to drive it, it does demand for good pairing, and also reveals the sound quality of the player / amp quite transparently. When it doesn't sound so good, don't quickly blame DN-2000, because it might just reveals the truth of the source sound quality, or simply it doesn’t pair well with the amplifier.

I don’t find my Fiio X5 and iBasso DX90 pair well with DN-2000. For DN-2000, Fiio X5 headphone output lacks of clarity, sounds like it has sharp and early low pass filter that reduces the treble clarity and transparency. While on DX90, the midrange sounds a bit loose, kind of amplifying the 400-600 Hz hump, which makes vocal sounds a little nasal-sounding. But when using the line output of the DAP, connected to Fiio E12DIY headphone amplifier, the combo sounds great on DN-2000, much better well driven bass and midrange, and much better clarity and transparency. Also improves upper treble extension. So DN-2000 does demand for good quality amplification, and quite picky on that. For my case, for portable setup, to use my Fiio E12DIY for my DAP is kind of a must for DN-2000, because I simply not really satisfied with the sound quality of DN-2000 when driven directly from my X5 and DX90, even though both DAPs have low output impedance on their headphones output.

Some of the best pairing would be with:
Yulong Sabre DA8, Centrance DACport, Dragonfly, & Fiio E12DIY with AD8599 Op-Amp + LME49600 buffer.

Geek Out 450 sounds great as well, but DN-2000 has better chemistry with the above.
I found with DN-2000, Geek Out 450 background noise is audible, more audible than other IEMs. Although it is just a very soft hiss noise. Besides that, GO 450 is also too powerful for DN-2000. I only have around a maximum of 18 levels of volume to play with, and normally my listening volume would be around 12-15 on windows volume fader.

Pros:
One of the best sounding IEM from the natural and refined sound perspective, regardless of the price.
Optimum sound from stock eartips, with other various types of eartips and ring adjustment for flexible sound tuning.
Easy to drive, doesn't require high voltage swing. But low output impedance of 10 ohms or lower is recommended.

Both straight down and over the ears wearing style.

Good build quality with solid metal housing.

Sounds good out of the box requires no or minimum burn-in.

Soft and flexible cable with no coiling memory effect.

Cons:
Quite particular with equipment pairing. But very rewarding when paired right.

Slighlty lacking of bass slam and impact.
Large nozzle limits the choices of third party eartips, and might not fit small ear canal.
Driver flex. For some people driver flex matters, for me it is not. Many of my IEMs have driver flex issue, and I don't consider it as an issue.
Relatively small cable for the relatively heavy housing. I hope the small cable will last.
Non-detachable Cable.

Hard edges at the outer part of the housing are prone to dent and scratches.
The hook for the silicone fin might cause discomfort.

Suggestion for improvement (maybe for DN-3000):
In my opinion, DN-1000 smooth bullet shape is better and more elegant than DN-2000 shape with hook and silicone wing. I suggest DUNU to collect some user feedback for the design, whether the silicone wing, or the smooth bullet shape is preferable. Hard edges are to be avoided.

The bass. I suggest DUNU to get Audio Technica ATH-CKR9, and let it burn-in for 200 hours, after that analyze the CKR9 bass quality. If DN-3000 can have CKR9 bass, DN-2000 midrange, and a more airy treble, it simply will become the best IEM in the world.

To include Comply T-500 foam eartips in the package.
Detachable cable with balanced cable included.

Ring adjustment is too thin and loose. It’s better if the ring is thicker with some grip to the nozzle.

Specifications:

SPL : 102 +/- 2 dB

Plug : L shape 3.5mm 24 Gold plated stereo Mini plug

Cord Length : 1.2m Y shape OFC cable
Detachable Cable : No
Left & Right marking : Clear. Left dot & L/R print on housing.
Weight : 22g
Accessories : 9 sets of silicone eartips, 1 sets of foam eartips, 1 pair of Earhook, 3.5mm Female to 6.5mm Male Adapter, 3.5mm Female to 2-pin Male Adapter, Aluminum alloy box, 6 pairs of metal adjustment ring, 4 pairs of fitting rubber, Shirt Clip.

‘Genghis Khan’ in Mongolian text is engraved on the DN-2000 metal housing.

Discussion thread here:

Pros: Epicness, amazing instrument separation, superb scale.

Cons: Golden, the bothersome sticky out bit, oversized case.

DUNU DN-2000 Quick Review

Full Review at http://www.head-fi.org/t/728105/dunu-dn-2000-review

Thanks to DUNU for the sample.

Brief:  DUNU take’s it to the top.

Price:  US$316 or £186 sans HMRC’s cut

Specification:  Driver Unit: Dynamic (10mm)*1+Balanced Armature*2, Sensitivity: 102dB+/-2dB, Impedance:16Ω, Frequency Range: 10Hz - 30kHz, Plug: Ø3.5mm stereo plug, Cable length :1.2m, Weight:22g

Accessories:  11 pairs of Eartips, 1 pair of Earhooks, 3.5mm Female to 6.5mm Male Adapter, 3.5mm Female to 2-pin Male Adapter, Aluminium alloy box, 6 pairs of metal adjust ring, 4 pairs of fitting rubber, Shirt Clip

Build Quality:  Excellent.  It’s just what we have come to expect from DUNU

Isolation:  Good for having a dynamic driver in them.  Suitable for normal use, out and about stuff but not up to the level offered by some deep sitting BA IEM’s.  Still, as ever, easily enough to get you run over.

Comfort/Fit:  Okay the metal protrusion on the side cased discomfort if no rubber thingy was attached.  Without them the sticky out bit stabbed my ear.  Swapping left and right cured that issue but I don’t get why its there to begin with?  Fit though was fine, tiny bit of air pressure issues but nothing to worry about.

Aesthetics:  Well I get that golden is supposed to look fancy but I’m not a big fan.  I just don’t love how they look.

Sound:  Top tier.  These are priced in the same area as other high end stuff, IE8, TF10, UM3 level and these are easily a match for them.  Actually these sound like a cross between the IE8 and the UM3.  Bass is big and powerful.  Mids are clear and focused, highs are clean and sparkly.  Basically, these are awesome and epically spectacular.  Their presentation steels the UM3’s incredible sound separation and the vastness of the IE8.  The bass is taught and likes to try the UM3’s punch but injecting some of the scale and expansion form the IE8.  Mids too occupy a middle place between them.  Focused and detailed like the 3 but with a hint of life (I found the UM3 very deadpan vocally.)  Highs, for a BA, sparkle and shimmer well enough to sound rather more natural than most.  The real stand out feature though is the soundstage and instrument separation.  Vast, drama, dynamism, power, authority, scale, you get the idea.  They sound epically scaled.  They are also super sensitive, so they hiss but also they are so easily driven and can sound magnificent even out of a phone. (Paired super nicely with my N5.)  The DN-2000 is a W shaped epic aural monster.  If you’re after sedate or a monitor, this isn’t it, even handed it may be but it’s just too aurally epic and grandiose to be a humble monitor.

Value:  Well it is expensive but you easily get what you pay for.

Pro’s:   Epicness, amazing instrument separation, superb scale.

Con’s:  Golden, the bothersome sticky out bit, oversized case.

DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone
By:

Pioneering hybrid technology, the DN-2000 brings you astonishing audio performance. Pursuing perfection, it combines a dynamic driver custom-made by DUNU with a Knowles balanced armature driver. It is no longer a dream to wander in the smooth and crystal-clear music as the broad dynamic performance - the DN-2000 presents all audio in full realism, from the most intricate musical nuances to the explosive soundtracks of Hollywood blockbusters. There is no need to search for the best earphone because the DN-2000 has arrived.

BindingElectronics
BrandDUNU
ColorChampagne gold
EAN6954587300203
FeatureDesigned for artists and music professionals Effectively reduce the environmental noise by 26 dB Premium metal box for easy storage and protection 6.3mm to 3.5mm plug and Airplane included for frequent travalers. Hybrid technology suits music of all genres
LabelDUNU
ManufacturerDUNU
ModelDN-2000
MPNDN-2000
PublisherDUNU
StudioDUNU
TitleDUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone (2BA+1Dynamic driver)
Package Height2.36 inches