Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Denon AH-D600 › Reviews › wynton5364's Review

Denon AH-D600

A Review On: Denon AH-D600

Denon AH-D600

wynton5364
Posted · 2068 Views · 22 Comments

Pros: extremly good comfort and isolation, clean clear sound, dynamic, very punchy, easy to dirve

Cons: slightly sterile, bass is accentuated in a certain area

Personal Feels:

Look and Build:
Though different from D5000's classical design, the modern look is actually quite good. The headband along with the outer shell is very low-profile kind of black color. With some bright parts it is not overly dull. The somewhat white inner ear cup and logo look pretty good to me. The sewing on headband and earpads are very neat. Plather parts are nice, hope they will last. Fabric-covered cord and carrying bag feel very good and solid.

Comfort and Isolation:
Insanely comfortable. Really and easily the best I ever tried. Room inside ear cups are pretty large. My ears very slightly touch the walls inside but never the drivers. There is only very minor pressure on my head. With the headband adjusted to the right length I don't feel any weight of the headphone. The ear cups can only be adjusted slightly but they provides 360-degree articulation. They move around in any directions. I can very easily find the perfect-fit position.  Earpads are so soft. They also provide great comfort. If I have to pick a drawback, the earpads probably have too much friction on my skin. Isolation is very good, far beyond my expectation. There's a typhoon outside my window right now,but I can hear almost nothing with the headphone on my head. Even with the window open and the pouring rain, I can hear my music clearly. It seems that the high frequency noise is mostly blocked outside. Really the comfort and isolation are off-the-chart good.

D600 is energetic and fun to listen to, yet non-fatiguing.Basically balanced sound.  I do feel the bass is somewhat accentuated in one area, though it says on the box 'tuned to a flat EQ.' That makes bass drum and string bass stand out and emphasized in a way. That emphatic bass part is really excessive to my ears and prevents it from being completely coherent, but that may be a personal taste matter. Bass does sound good on some tracks. Rest of the spectrum is very clean and clear sounding. It's slightly cold and fast sounding. Vocals are fine but not particularly inviting. I would like a heftier mid-forward sound and slight warm-tilt. D600 is slightly sterile to me.(HE-500 is my choice and my main phone) Separation is good along with good imaging and location. Soundstage is not like very wide and deep. But I think it is pretty coherent with a good shape and moderate sense of space. Dynamic is good. With accentuated bass D600 is very punchy. D600 is doing a good job here.
Summary:
Comes with in-line three-button control,carrying bag and Denon Audio app you can download for your Apple devices and android devices, it is obviously made for you  to take out. And it works very fine with my Sony Erricsson mobile phone. However the size of the headphone is actually pretty big, I wouldn't wear it on the go. Taking it from places to places should be fine. The design is not as fragile as D2000, which I owned, but still is not tank-like robust. Some care could be needed. Given the performance and new type of sound, you should audition it whenever you can.

Thanks for viewing

As you mention these lacking warmth, I would imagine the mahogany earcups in the 7100 would do a better job there.
When you mention excessive bass, did you feel it was bleeding into frequencies that it should not? Can you describe the bass in greater detail? Could these be considered "bassmonsters" if, for example, Pitbull is being played and at the same time minimize bass when not called for in the music to consider the D600 a solid all-arounder?
Thanks for reply,
Sorry I haven't yet auditioned D7100, and I have no idea how it would sound.
I feel it's a bump in the bass in a certain frequency area. The bass does not wrap you up. I don't feel very much surrounded by the way the bass is rendered. Compared with my HE-500, D600's bumped bass sounds slightly one-note like. I would say it's somewhat of a basshead phones. When I am listening to Norah Jones tracks, it becomes bassmonster, I've never known there's so much dominant bass in those tracks, however I still think the bass is fine in texture and enjoyable. Oh, D600 plays great with dance music and symphonies, which is really a surprise to me. D600 does sound good with most music I played. Still I don't want the bumped bass, it sometimes shows up when I don't want/need it. I wouldn't say D600 is a solid all-rounder. I don't enjoy Norah Jones on D600 you see.
Have you test Denon D2000?, is the sound similar?
I owned D2000 and liked it so much, so I sold it to buy D5000. Instead of D5000, eventually I bought D600. I would say they are not similar at all. D600 is much better, however D2000 still has its unique sound signature and won me over on some tracks.
Which is brighter out of the D600 and the old D5000/D2000?
Are the new ones a bit easier on the ears with sibilance etc?
Leather or pleather?
from Denon's website: Adjustable Slider, covered in Protein Leather
D600 is brighter than D5000/D2000 to my ears, but D2000's got more strident/sparkle highs.
I actually think that D600 is a different/new type of headphones from Denon, don't need to be compared with D5000/D2000. Protein Leather....I just checked what Protein Leather is, synthetic material for sure. The quality and touch are very good.
Oh..D5000 is still easier on the ears as I remember. D600 is energetic after all. Maybe I should put it 'non-fatiquing', less confusing.
Yes D5000/7000 are definitely easier on your head and ears but after using them for two days during subway ride to/from work I adapted to their weight and they don't bother me anymore. I really enjoying tight punchy well controlled deep bass which DO NOT BLEED into mids. I also like their clarity and details, which are more refined than DT1350, plus their instrument separation and airy soundstage
It is indeed airy and somewhat open feel, remarkable for a closed headphone, especially when it's so closed and very well 'isolated.'
The carabiner kills me. WTF!?
ha ha right~
I was surprised when I first saw it in the box.
Carabiner could be used with the carrying bag.
But I doubt if it's any good.
do you think you can wear this while jogging ?
no they will fall off. I consider myself to have an average sized head and they feel real loose around my ears.
They are not that secure~~~
Why would anyone wear big headphones while jogging anyway~
I just want a pair of hi-fi or mid-fi headphone that can be used for the on-the-go/sports.....that's it./
Great review and Pictures