Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Desktop Amps › Decware csp-2 › Decware csp-2 Reviews

Decware csp-2 Reviews

Skylab

Decware Select Zen CSP2 Tube Headphone Amp

Pros: Great sound and feature set

Cons: vertical IEC power cord connector can be a pain

I was able to convince Steve Deckert, head Zen of Decware, to send me his Zen CSP2 headphone preamp for review. While the CSP2 is also marketed as a preamp, I did not try it as such. It does have 2 inputs, and trim pots for the preamp outs. The CSP2 is an OTL (Output Transformer-Less) design. Manufacturer's website: DECWARE / High Fidelity Engineering Co. The CSP2 is housed in a nice wood frame, but absolutely everything is top mounted – tubes, inputs and outputs, AC cord, trim pots for the preamp outs. I’m not s sure that’s my favorite configuration – I generally prefer my jacks to be front-and-rear mounted, but the CSP2 does have kind of a cool look – here is a pic: The CSP2’s...
davisoly

CSP2+

Pros: brilliant

Cons: inconvenient power switch location

I've owned this CSP2+ for a couple weeks now, and it is mostly burned in, but it makes little difference. It is a brilliant preamp/headphone amp. Dexter Gordon's tenor sax envelopes you in warmth and reediness that makes you stop and take notice. It sounds like you are next to the player, hearing the breathing and movement of air past and over the reed. Any drummer that has decent miking becomes a real listening feature. The splash of the cymbals, thwack of the foot-bass, and resonance of the toms really puts the drums on equal billing with any other instrument. Do you describe the sound of drums as beautiful? With this CSP+, I do.   I listen for hours at a time, and prefer the...
supra1988t

Wonderfully transparent OTL preamp

Pros: Autobiasing, common tube types, sounds amazing.

Cons: White top plate not very attractive, inputs/ouputs on top rather than the side.

Amazing sound for the money.  Doubt it gets much better than this.