Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Desktop Amps › Darkvoice 337 › Darkvoice 337 Reviews

Darkvoice 337 Reviews

Skylab

REVIEW: Darkvoice 337

Pros: An engaging, organic, highly musical sound

Cons: 6SJ7GT tubes are fussy; doesn't like low-impedance headphones

Darkvoice 337: Introduction A little background: the Darkvoice 337 uses the 6AS7G dual-triode for its power/output tube which, while definitely delivering that special touch of midrange magic that I personally only experience from tubes, it is a far less syrupy tube than many. In fact, in the better amps, it’s a gutsy, powerful, neutral, very wide range amplification device. It does have a lot of power. While somewhat prone to microphonics, the 6AS7G also has the advantage of being an inexpensive tube. Given that the starting point of a decent pair of EL84’s is $50, and a pair of something like an EL34 or 6550 is $200+, the 6AS7G has a significant advantage in being affordable, since they...
dBs

More than I expected, and then some

Pros: Best sound I have yet heard

Cons: Can be some tube hum if not chosen well

I haven't had it for too terribly long, nor have I had the fortune of being able to sample many different amps. This amp has surpassed my expectations. I came to this amp from a Compass DAC+Amp which still acts as my DAC. The difference was night and day.   I'll keep it simple; I find myself wanting to listen to music MORE after receiving this amp.   Using HD650 and DT770s for now.   Using RCA 6AS7G black plates and Tung Sol 6SJ7GT mesh plates. The RCAs are slightly tubey while the TSs are more neutral, a winning combination.   I purchased this amp so I could also gauge my own open source DIY amp that I am designing to "give back" to the community in my own way. I...