Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Portable Source Components › Digital Audio (FLAC/MP3/etc) Players (DAPs) › Cowon S9 32 GB Video MP3 Player with Touchscreen (Titanium Black) › Cowon S9 32 GB Video MP3 Player with Touchscreen (Titanium Black) Reviews

Cowon S9 32 GB Video MP3 Player with Touchscreen (Titanium Black) Reviews

Positive Reviews

stevenswall

Perfection in my Pocket

Pros: Sound, Screen, Interface.

Cons: Proprietary USB Connection

Value: Not cheap; Not expensive. Does the most basic function of a DAP... it plays music... Perfectly.   Audio Quality: Once you spend over $100 on a pair of headphones, your source suddenly becomes the limiting factor in the quality of sound, a distorting Ipod would not suffice, neither would a Zune. I bought the S9 and have yet to hear a legitimate competitor. Custom settings make anything sound as bass heavy as you like, can improve the sound on cheaper headphones, and really make nice ones shine. BBE is better than SRS, better than Creative CMSS3D, Sony CLEAR BASS, DOLBY HEADPHONE, and most any other audio enhancement you can think of.   Design: Buttons on the top of the unit are...

Negative Reviews

kiteki

Not as good as everyone says!

Pros: Battery Life, Screen, Looks, File support.

Cons: Audio quality, Build quality.

[skip to the end of the review for the punchline]   I purchased one of these (the 8GB version) from ebay second hand since I'd heard so many positive things about Cowon's audio quality and my Sony NWZ-B135F/B needed an upgrade.   The previous user had had it in his possession for 5 months, at first glance it looked very nice (though a little bit larger in real life) very faint scratches on the back and the screen was perfect. I then realised the tilt-detector completely failed within an hour of use, the play/pause button was very loose, and the lock switch was quite sensitive or not working, hm, oh well, I actually don't care about that stuff, they're not important anyway,...

More Reviews

budgetboy

Amazing - everything I wanted and more.

Pros: Sound Quality, Amazing EQ and Effects, Customization, Tweakability, Power Output, AMOLED Gorilla Glass Screen, Drag & Drop, Codec Support

Cons: UI not as simple as Ipod, Tv-Out and Line in Cables cost extra, Doesn't play nice with macs, Line-in Only records up to 256kbps WMA, no WAV

This is the player I was looking for all along. Seriously, this has given me a new found respect for Cowon, as well as Korean Innovation as a whole. So, lets get to the basics.   Pros:   Audio Quality is unbelievable. Now that the price has gone down to $200, this is the best-sounding player for under $300. No compromises either, this has been compared favorably to the Sony X, which is twice the price, with fewer audio features.   The EQ is equally incredible. If your coming from an iPod, be prepared to start tweaking. Before, with my ipod, I had one way to play music. If it didn't sound the way I wanted it, I had to just accept it, beyond a few primitive EQ settings that...