Unreliable

A Review On: COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black)

COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black)

Amazon.com
Battery Life
User Interface
Xstream

Pros: Great sound, EQ features and options, portable, battery

Cons: reliability, not the best UI

Well, i won't make a long review.

Having the iPod Nano V6, SansaClip+, SansaClip Fuse, iAudio 6 and a mix of older Sony's, iPod's etc ... I think the best sounding player to me was the iAudio 6. Followed by the iAudio J3. The difference is marginally, but somehow the 6 just performed a tiny bit better to my taste. The BBE+ etc effects just had a smoother and warming impact, where on the J3 it starts to sound a tad more cool, in some cases even mechanical (hissing etc), where the 6 kept composed.

But ... sadly, i only managed to enjoy the J3 for a few months when it died. The screen showed weird colors, like there was some graphic card issue and froze, it didn't respond to any button actions. Resetting, rebooting ... nothing. So i returned it, got a new one, after a few months ... the same happened.

So i've given up on this model. Might try some other iAudio devicse, but i have no confidence anymore in the J3.

Well I've had mine for 3 years and used it every day for commuting in rain(often), sleet, snow and shine and it still works great.

What will cause the crash you've mentioned is corrupted audio files(sorry no pun intended).
Especially files the player won't recognize or viruses.

Firmware update also important.

Irrelevant now though as this player has been discontinued.
Well, that might all be true, but my computer is absolutely virus free. Corrupt media files? Maybe. Can happen anytime, especially with MP3. It's no excuse it crashes so bad it's unrecoverable. Not even a hard reset solves it ... Can't turn it off till the battery is empty.

I haven't had any issues with any of my other players.

If it happens once, fine, anything can happen with electronics, but twice in a row is a bit odd. Might be just bad luck.
All in all i didn't think it was the best iAudio anyway. Other then it's compactness and mobility where most of their models have (to me) unnecessary mp4 features.
Odd indeed.
As I've said I've had no problems with mine.

Where did you get a new j3?
They've been discontinued for some time now.
Ah, the experience is a bit older ... Must have been over a year ago. In the meanwhile i've had more players and while i was checking this list and was kind of surprised to see this one on no. 1. I think it doesn't deserve it, so i shared my experience. I think even the Sansa is just as good (better out of the box), but the BBE + JetEffect options is a big USP of iAudio, so that's why i prefered the iAudio slightly. More flexibility. Pricewice it's a no brainer though, sansa all the way.