A pleasant surprise!

A Review On: Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset (CA-9011115-NA)

Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset (CA-9011115-NA)

Rated # 3 in Gaming Headsets
Sorensiim
Posted · Updated · 2509 Views · 5 Comments

Pros: Impressive 7.1 for games and movies, comfort, great mic, wireless just works

Cons: Hums while charging (only If using a dedicated charger, regular USB is silent)

I got fed up by the cables at my desk at home and decided to get a wireless headset for gaming. I was actually pretty settled on the Logitech G930, right until the point where Logitech told me to just bugger off when I pointed out that they were charging twice as much for the G930 in Denmark as they do in other countries. Despite Logitech being my go-to brand for the past 10-15 years, I decided to go with one of the G930's competitors, the exceedingly awesomely named Corsair Vengeance 2000.

Being retarded an audiophile, my previous setup for gaming was a set of AudioTechnica ATH-AD700 with a Modmic, hooked up to an O2/ODac combo. I use stupidly expensive very high-end custom in-ears every day at work as well, so my standards for headphones are pretty damn high. I wasn't expecting much sound quality from these headphones to be honest. I expected them to get the job done, letting me communicate with my team mates and making me able to hear if a fallen grunt was trying to cut me in half, not much more than that. Plastic-y gamer headphones, even wireless and with faux 7.1 surround at that - everybody knows they must sound like crap, right?

Wrong. Oh boy was I wrong. Sure, I'm used to a brighter, cleaner sound where these have a very forgiving, slightly "warm" sound signature, but firing up Fink showed that these had some real potential. All the details were there, the picking of strings, the whiskers on the snare drum - and pretty nice bass kick as well. So they do music pretty decently, but that wasn't my intended use for them. Last night I had a two-hour Diablo III session with a couple of friends and this is where the Vengeance 2000 (I love that name!) really took off. I was expecting the 7.1 Dolby Pro Logic surround to be a marketing gimmick but holy hell, does it sound awesome! I currently play as a monk (Tempest Rush/Sweeping Wind build for the D3 players out there) and I could clearly hear the sound of the fire circling around me and when charging through a horde of enemies I could close my eyes and still be able to hear where I was hitting my opponents. Enter a cave and I could very clearly hear the drops of water falling around me and exactly where they were falling. All of this while still being able to communicate perfectly with my fellow players, who by the way reported that the mic on these things is pretty good as well.

Movies you say? Oh hell yeah! I fired up a few movies for a quick test and the (faux) surround sound did its thing. More importantly, voices were crystal clear,easily outshining my admittedly POS Sony living room setup.

Comfort was surprisingly good, even coming from the Comfort King AD700. My only nitpick is that when you flip the mic to its upright position (which mutes it, btw), it rubs against your head, at least it does if your noggin is as big as mine. Battery life should be 9-10 hours on a single charge. They're charged using a standard micro USB cable and you can use them while they charge. Setup is a matter of plugging in the USB transmitter and turning on the headphones. Want surround? Download and install the driver. Bam, done.

At DKK 699/€90/$130 they're hard to classify as cheap, but I really think they are quite a bargain, definitely a great buy if you are considering full size headphones for your computer. And yes, computer only, as they connect via USB.

Updated on August 31st to 4 full stars as charging via regular USB is completely silent.

Awesome review Soren, if I ever go for gaming headset, I know what to get know. Usually Razer and Steelseries are my trustworthy brands but apparently Corsair did an excellent job there.
Thanks guys! While not exactly audiophile headphones for critical listening, the V2000 does an AWESOME job for 7.1 gaming :)
Wow that's really good to hear! I like corsair actually, good to hear all things work as intended!
FYI: These things just work in Linux. Plug them in, use them. I tested with Linux Mint 15, using ALSA, but since they register as a standard USB sound device, most modern distros should support them.