Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Amp/DACs › Chord Hugo › Chord Hugo Reviews

Chord Hugo Reviews

Currawong

Chord's Hugo brought some fantastic DAC technology to the headphone, and high-end portable world.

Pros: Incredibly natural musical reproduction and good headphone drive, especially with IEMs.

Cons: Big for a portable, bad control and port layout, non-isolated USB makes it PC noise sensitive, doesn't remember volume and input selection.

Note: I started writing this review in May 2014 (and posted it in Jan 2016). Even most of the pictures are old! I wanted to try and summarise Rob Watts' technology in the review before publishing it, but never got around to it.  Since I took so much time to write it, I decided to publish it anyway, with only a few changes and additions.     I always thought that Chord products look rather like aliens had landed and given us audio gear. It was certainly far too exotic for me to ever consider that, one day, I might own anything like it. However, such an possibility reared its head in the form of the QuteHD, which a member of an Australian audio forum was...
FortisFlyer75

Chord Hugo game changing portable Hi-Fi

Pros: Connectivity options, Unique original design, volume button design, can be used in normal Hi-Fi set up also, Hours worth of non fatigue listening.

Cons: Ideally could do with bigger coax and 3.5 jack ports on connection side and does not reset volume after each use.

I have been looking for a desktop amp/dac for a while now as I have not had one for the last few years (last desktop amp was a Naim headline 2 with NPSC power supply which was okay but nothing magical about them so tired of it after a couple of years)  but never got around to getting a replacement for one reason or another, one being I only got the Sony ZX1 Walkman last year and was happy with my portable set up with my iems and was going to wait until I got a 1-2K pair of headphones (possibly Grado PS1000’s) before looking for a desktop amp but was intrigued when the Hugo was released as it was small enough to be semi portable with its respectable battery life for trips away and...
OK-Guy

Chord Hugo review inc’ Bawlers & Lovers

Pros: Excellent connectivity with a multitude of devices, sounds great even with less expensive gear

Cons: None to think of

It’s not often I get stirred to contemplate writing a review but needs & urges get the better of me at times and for my 3,000th post on Head-Fi I wanted to do something epically tantalising… I suppose I should start with a few of the necessaries for the technically challenged but in essence I will be primarily be concentrating on the portable aspects of Chord’s Hugo DAC/Amp…   DAC/Amp: Chord Hugo (UK cost £1,400) Source: Sony Walkman ZX1 (UK cost £549) Headphones: Heir 5.0 IEM’s (UK cost £380 approx.) Accessories: Sony USB conversion cable (UK cost £25 approx) & Hugo leather case (UK cost £99) File Types: Sony Atrac Advanced Lossless & WAV (both types uploaded from...