Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Desktop Amps › Desktop Amps Images

Desktop Amps Images

The Desktop Amps category includes 467 products.
1 - 30 of 30 photos
Schiit Lyr and Schiit Bifrost
By jontron
Jan 20, 2013
I think I got a soft spot for black and white.
22 hours ago
Sennheiser HD800 & Sugden Masterclass HA-4 amp + Stax SRS-3050 II (SR-303 II & SRM-323 II)
By GeFa
Sep 16, 2010
Yarland P100 headphone tube amp & Grado GS1000i headphones
By GeFa
Sep 16, 2010
AC side of the power supply is wired. This build doesn't use all the transformer's tabs, but I still kept them just in case I want to re-use this transformer in another project. The blue wires are a 6v secondary, isolated from the main secondary, that I will probably use to power LEDs in the tube sockets.
Jun 15, 2012
Nov 29, 2012
Jun 11, 2013
Line in is wired using braided solid core copper. Physical power rails using 18 AWG solid copper. The 4 power decoupling capacitors are Nichicon ES MUSE.
Jun 16, 2012
My freshly finished SSMH on it's first test drive. The pot, knob and output jack were salvaged from a vintage stereo. There's bad scratching sound from the pot, I'll have to find a better one.
Jun 17, 2012
My freshly finished SSMH on it's first test drive. The tubes are 12AX7.
Jun 17, 2012
My freshly finished SSMH on it's first test drive. View of the interior. The output coupling capacitors are Elna Silmic II. The inter-stage coupling capacitors are Mundorf M-CAP MKP Series.
Jun 17, 2012
First series of tweaks to my MSSH.

Connected the 0V rail to earth with a 100Ω resistor. This eliminated the noise picked from the floating inputs.

Doubled the value of R13 hoping to lower the back ground noise, it didn't change anything.

Added an identical resistor in parallel with the one in the CRC filter, because the original 7Ω dropped too many volts and overheated. I thought it would make the noise louder, but it didn't.

Connected the volume pot's metal casing to ground. This eliminated the static noise when touching the pot.
Jun 21, 2012
Placing the amplifier on a grounded metal pan muted the hum.
Jul 7, 2012
Hammond 1455 enclosure machined by hand.
Jul 30, 2012
Exploded view of my Starving Student. Everything is painted and ready for final assembly.
Aug 9, 2012
Finished assembling the power supply in the new enclosure. Since the case is shorter than the clear plastic one I had, the original layout did not fit. I rebuilt the power supply from the ground up. I placed the capacitors so they shield AC from the rest of the circuit.
Aug 11, 2012
Finished reassembling the wiring for the tubes and the MOSFETs. This time the original layout was recycled. I also installed the back panel and some shields.
Aug 11, 2012
My Millett "Starving Student" Hybrid, complete and working circuit. I designed a 48v linear regulated power supply for this amplifier, it consists of everything right of the tube sockets.
Aug 19, 2012
My Millett "Starving Student" Hybrid, complete and working circuit. I designed a 48v linear regulated power supply for this amplifier, it consists of everything behind the tube sockets.
Aug 19, 2012
My Millett "Starving Student" Hybrid headphone amplifier. The whole circuit was built using Point to Point wiring. I designed and built a 48v linear regulated power supply for the amplifier. The transformer and the cubic heat sink beside it are part of the PSU. I built Faraday cages around the tubes, to shield them from all the EMI from today's technologies, more precisely WiFi.
Aug 19, 2012
My Millett "Starving Student" Hybrid headphone amplifier, sitting atop the Audio-gd NFB-12. The enclosure I used for my MSSH is almost the same size as the NFB-12. It's the Hammond 1455T2201. I installed orange LEDs inside the tube sockets, but I used low intensity LEDs so they are useless. The tube's heaters are actually more luminescent.
Aug 19, 2012
Debugging session in December 2012. There was dirt in a tube socket, which allowed arcing between pins.
Dec 27, 2012
For the first time in half a year since I began this project, I am listening to music trough the MSSH and actually enjoying it. The noise level is now low enough to be forgotten even with my most sensitive headphones. I concluded the MSSH and the NFB-12 hate each others, and they will only be happy if kept apart. This is why I have the MSSH on another shelf instead of stacking it on top the DAC.
Dec 27, 2012
The final iteration of what started as a Millett "Starving Student" amplifier. More than 2 years after the start of this project, following countless redesigns and rebuilds, this amplifier is now much more than a Starving Student. (The price tag alone makes it everything but a Starving Student.) A power supply inspired by the one in the SOHA II gives out 138V for the tubes, while a second power supply maintains the output stage at 25V.
Woo WA7 DAC/AMP