Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Dedicated Source Components › CD/SACD Players › Cambridge - 840C CD Player › Cambridge - 840C CD Player Reviews

Cambridge - 840C CD Player Reviews

Currawong

Great value player that gets out of the way and plays the music.

Pros: Great, un-coloured sound, plenty of options, solid built, doubles as a DAC, plenty of digital I/O, balanced output, fantastic DSP.

Cons: Some may find the sound a bit boring. Threatened by newer DACs so best value second-hand.

I hadn't intended to get this. I was offered it in trade for my HD-800s (plus cash), which, out of curiosity, I ended up agreeing to.     I hadn't great expectations as I'd heard some less than stellar comments about the DacMagic from people who had a lot of gear experience.  However, I was most pleasantly surprised when it arrived and I plugged it into my Audio-gd Phoenix, that it shared much of the "just the music" presentation of my Audio-gd Reference 1.  More usefully, no matter how I connected it digitally, from optical straight from my MacBook Pro (usually the worst option) or via the Audio-gd Reference 3 re-clocking and up-sampling digital converter, I haven't been able to...
Fatmangolf

840C

Pros: Honest/neutral sound, upsampling, good LR and F-B depth, digital inputs

Cons: Display hard to read at any distance.

Bought in UK at reduced price £499. Bargain in my opinion so 5 stars.   Sound is very clear and transparent through speakers or phones. Deep bass, clear midrange, and slighly lifted/airy treble. It resolves the different instruments in the mix well. The sound is very neutral, which I liked.   The left to right imaging is very good but I was most impressed by the depth of the sound field on speakers. Voices do sound forward of speakers when dry of reverb. It fills the room with "surround" like sound like reverb tails and effects.   I have modified mine with new PSU caps and a replacement voltage regulator for the DACs. I also put sound absorbing pads (Vibramat...