Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Brainwavz R1

Brainwavz R1

Rated #96 in Universal Fit

Pros: Good Soundstage (wider than deep), Great bass without bleeding off into mids, decent clarity, surprisingly 'durable', lots of earbuds, clamshell case

Cons: Not the most agile/articulate sounding, cheap looking build, thin cable, memory cable

I'll start of by saying these are a pair of really respectable headphones and these are my subjective opinion on them. At their price point, I think you'll be hard pressed to find anything better without going higher in pricing They perform well for their price. All in all, a good pair of headphones just for casual everyday listening of music. These are also the version 2 I believe as they came with the memory cable and stem/nozzle filter

That said,

Some things to note - I have mine for well over 6 months now, all I can say is as long as you take good care of them, they'll take good care of you. Make sure you have a good fit in your ears and that your source has enough juice to drive them. I have noticed that on my phone and sony e-reader (PRS T1) they sounded anemic. Also if you get the mic version, make sure your device supports TRRS 3.5mm. I read quite a few review on Mp4nation and elsewhere where someone complained it sounded like it was underwater. No they don't... their device simply aren't made for TRRS but TRS (ie. 3 bands across the jack instead of 2 bands). I know. I tested it with my old nokia phone and that's exactly how it sounded. Easy fix? Just hold down the mic button and you're green.

Build - Build wise they look and feel cheap. Probably the biggest downside for the R1. Thin cables, horrifyingly lack of strain relief above the Y-split, plastic housing where I can still see where the stem break from the mold is filed away and the seams between the housing are painfully obvious but hey, they're fairly cheap headphones. That said, while they look flimsy and cheap they won't be breaking from regular handling, as long as you don't subject the cables to unnecessary stresses - leave them in your pocket with keys or wrap them around sharp angle devices the R1 should have a good service life.

Aesthetics - They're not too bad really. Poor build aside the blood red color and black works well. Doesn't look too flashy when worn since the red faces the inside of your ear. Despite the shape they fit well in the ears, just need to turn it around a little to find your spot though people with tiny ears might find it a little difficult, compared to the ATH-IM70, the R1 disappear in the ear. The worst part about the aesthetics is the so called "memory cable" which is essentially some broad metallic wire (probably copper based) that gets "taped" over the end part of the headphones by a polymer sheath. Well good news is they work... if you like that sort of thing, and that I think they're supposedly an improvement over the strain relief the first version had. Bad news is they're "memory cables" and it looks horrible being "taped" onto the end like some after thought and they do not lose their shape easily enough. Amusingly I think the memory cables are to blame for the cables tangling most of the time. I think ear hooks are a better way to go, but at least these end bits act as a make shift strain relief.

Isolation and comfort - They sound great with the comply tips as well as the double flange tips although are most comfortable with the comply. With the Comply, I hardly feel them even after 3-4 hours of continuous wear. I have since switched to the double flange once the stock comply wore out and while the double flange sounds better with the deeper insertion and solid isolation, unfortunately they aren't as comfy as the comply and one tends to notice it after a while.

Isolation with either of the mentioned tips is good enough to block out noisy neighbors and leafblowers are barely a hum so I would say it's good. Some users argue that vented/ported IEMs have poor isolation but that never bothered me. They have about the same degree of isolation as my old Sennheiser CX-300 II which has no vent, and better isolation compared to my housemate's Philips SHE 3500 which also have no port/vent either. If anything, based on this, having a vent is probably better than not having one.

They don't weigh much (16g for the whole thing + mic whereas my stock ATH-IM70 cable alone weighs 17g it's another 6g for the driver+ear tips) and I have worn them out to run. While they don't "disappear" into your ears like some other headphones do, but they're close to negligible.

Day to day use- I find that the R1 requires a bit of care in handling, simply from the thinness of the cables, but one should always exercise proper care with their gear regardless. They also require a decent amount of power to drive despite the 16ohm rating - They sound muted when driven by my old nokia 300 and Sony PRS T1 reader relative to my macbook (2008). Hopefully you won't have that issue as my source gears are dated. Anyone with a DAP or a decent smart phone should have no problem driving them though.

Sound Quality

Okay, I'm no audiophile, just someone who likes music so I won't use too many fancy terms here nor am I trying to use the most "correct" term.

Soundstage - It sounds pretty good. Listening to Amber Rubarth's Tundra demonstrated it's capability quite well. Pretty wide I'd say, though compared to more expensive IEMs like the ATH-70 it lacks depth.

Bass - As long as you're not a basshead I don't think you'll complain about the bass. It plays well - Almost as good as my old pair of Sennheiser CX-300 II, just not retardedly bassy and does not suffer from the bass bleed off problems as the CX-300 II. Overall, good extension and range, not the best control/tightness as they call it but it's not bad either. I call it respectably serviceable.

Mids - I think you'll hear a great many people complaining about it sounding 'veiled'. I guess when compared to something like the ATH-IM70 you would notice it, but for the most part, I don't really pick up on that. They're not that 'veiled' or 'recessed' to my ears anyway and I can only notice it if I switch around listening to one IEM then another. In fact I would say they sound just right but it's rather the lack of agility of the headphones that causes this "veiled" or "recessed" sound.

Trebles - Not really much to say here except they're not overwhelmingly bright that they overshadow the rest so that's good, no distortions or sibilant sounding.

Across the board - To my untrained ears (just regular person listening) it sounds pretty clear for the most part. I can hone in on almost every instruments in all the songs I've played so far - Pretty much every artist that made it on Triple J hottest 100s over the past 5 years or so and then some.

Instruments have good separation unless it's a ridiculously busy track but even then I think it's more to do with me unable to keep up rather than the headphones performing poorly. They're far from the most agile or articulate sounding IEMs though. You might hear a bit of a bluntness in the percussion side of things but again they're not too noticeable or bad unless you keep reaching for a pair of better sounding headphones. That's my thought on the matter anyway.

TL;DR - I rate it a rough 7/10 for sound - Good range and clarity but soundstage could use a bit more depth and height. Drivers could benefit from being a bit more agile.

Comparisons (These are just phones I have used or have around)

Sennheiser CX-300 II - 6.5/10 Bassy and accurate for the most part but bass bloat muddies the midrange.

Philips SHE3500 - 3/10 Anemic and thin sounding. Not the most responsive driver.

So to sums things up, it gets points for

+good price, plentiful of accessories and - the hard case is great and enough tips to probably outlast the headphones, I'll even go as far as to say that it's packaging is better than the ATH-IM70 and Sennheiser CX-300 II, good soundstage, decent clarity and great overall sound quality.

-Points deducted for delicate and cheap build, ugly looking memory cable end, and less than agile performance, takes a little bit more juice to drive on some portable devices that's not dedicated for audio.

All in all, as long as you paid less than $40 for it I think it's not a bad buy considering it trumps many of the mainstream brands in the $50-$100 range. (depends on where you live and what's available)

Pros: Soundstage has good depth, Bass is big sounding, Treble has enough seperation.

Cons: Needs amplifier to reach high volume, Needs equalizer correction due to 2khz hump, Build quality does not shines.

unlike the Brainwavz M4 & Xiaomi Piston, this one finally brings something worthy to our ears. when you plug these in your ears, first you'll notice the wide soundstage which especially shines in depth. this was the first earphone i've used which incorporates such amount of mid layering in this price range. it's very alike to the Vsonic GR02 in this manner. you can easily feel different frequency segments appear in different layers back and fourth. this makes it's acoustic very lifelike.

of course the need for the amplifier and 2khz equalizer correction need puts the r1 in the weak side of the comparison with gr02. but it still have it's own signature. i did already sold the product so there's no chance for me to directly compare them but if i remember correctly, r1 had more big sounding vocals compared to vsonic. vsonic products has more seperated vocals but they sound more compact in comparison.

overall, R1 definitely worths to try. however, i cannot recommend it against gr02 because of the above said reasons. without the 2khz correction, it's possible that you'll feel most of the songs aren't sounding natural. 5-6 decibels of 2khz decrement should be fine. my unit which was bought from mp4nation lost it's L, R markings on the day two, the glue markings on the case were visible + it was lacking a part of the cable finishing near the earpieces. okay, noone is able to say that it has a stunning build quality.

it surely feels cheap and there's nothing to do about it. but it sounds good for shure... does not lacks deep bass amount, does not have a terrible, mid ruining highs and incorporates a wide soundstage. as i said, it's not recommendable against gr02 bass edition in my opinion but worths to be tried, especially if you like deep soundstage and bored from vsonic.

Pros: Crisp highs and bass that fits my music

Cons: Lack of mids, odd shape, and possible build quality issues.

I don't normally write reviews so I'll be all over the place but here we go:

I listen to mostly electronic music. No specific genre in it, but it ranges from Ambient to very hard stuff (think The Bloody Beetroots).

These are able to keep up with my ears. I'm not highly picky with my audio but these please me greatly for their portable usage.

My home pair of cans are Sony XB-700's paired to an Asus Xonar DGX. Nothing audiophile, but good enough and more than makes sense to most people.

I don't consider these good for classical music but if it has a heavy beat and ample amounts of treble, these will be a good fit if you're on a budget.

You will need an equalizer. Mine has a slight bump at 500, 8k, and 16k. To me, this makes a more enjoyable listening session since it brings out vocals and raises treble.

Pros: none

I just can't imagine anyone, no matter what music he/she enjoys, finding these to be a pleasant listen. FLAT, cardboard sound to my ears. Who likes flat sound? The fit is not good, as they are unbalanced and want to topple out of the ear. Please do not buy these, they are not good for your brainwaves

Pros: Sound Quality, Comfort, Case

Cons: Cable tangling

Hello all head-fiers out there reading or seeing my review. You may ask who is this random guy writing a review? Here I am doing so anyways since this headphone isnt reviewed often and only has one review. I come from a family of sound engineers that have taught me in depth of what sound is supposed to sound really and all that basic and advanced stuff on sound. My mom and her brother are both sound engineers. Just got the brainwavz r1 today and dang was I surprised of how good they sounded for $30 bucks and fresh off the box with no burn in time at all. Box It comes in looks high end and is well packaged when opening it was a breeze with no toublem but only part needed care is taking out the headphones since it is tight in the plastic package. So be carefull.

BUILD QUALITY: This seems to be flaw of the R1's since they feel a little too light almost paper light                 actually, which yes is very nice, but the cables in these are too thin even when they supposedly have OFC cable attached to these. Other than that they are nice.

DESIGN: These look so simple yet nice and attractive. Having said wearing these I have gotten many compliments about them out of random and was very nice to have gotten them. These are so comfortable to wear to the point as if I were to not be wearing them, and there are so many tips included that it will seem impossible to not find the right fit at all.

SOUND: Now here comes the most crucial news and part of every headphone ever made. They are of a V-shaped eq and I tend to like how they do so like the UE Triple-fi that I have.

Bass: These wow, they give that impact you want when its necessary on any genre of music.

Bass goes nice and deep without sacrificing the treble or distorting, Bass is nice and

tight but a bit boomy for some people's liking all depending in taste of sound. To me I

think bass is just right when it comes to these in music, yes more bass presence and

power than the UE triple fi 10, and thats why i got these since. By woofer Brainwavz did

a real good job making the 9mm woofer live up to the name since all brands put words to

mislead consumer to buying their product.

Mid-Range: The mids are nice and rich but tend to be recessed a bit. Still though they maintain

to the sound still being warm and rich and these have more mids that my triplefi

when listening to stock flat eq on any device or computer. Mids are present nicely

but do tend to calm down when it comes down to what song you may happen to

listen to. I like the mids provided and have no problem with it.

Treble: Here is another strength on these other than the bass, wow the tweeter sounds life like

and accurate sounding. Yes the sound is v-shaped but me personally I do tend to like

this since I have had the triple fi for 2 yrs already. treble is nice and detailed but only

flaw is that voices not always come out so well in these depending on singer. higher

pitched singer worse sounding his or her voice will sound compared to a lower end

voiced singer because tweeter tends to distort a tiny bit that i have noticed when a

voice is to high in tone. Thats the only flaw which i dont mind much.

Soundstage: Its nice and big sounding as if in the front row at a concert, or imagine this that the

soundstage is as of and similar to the triplefi whoever has them can relate best.

When listening to the song Closer To The Edge by 30 Seconds To Mars I was able

to hear a whole lot of detail thanks to the soundstage positioning. Cymbals real

present along with synth piano and the voices.

In Amazon these are real cheap at $29.50 and worth every penny! I love these. Even from never having owned,heard, and used Brainwavz at all and impressed.

Pros: Soundstage/positioning, decent for instrumental music with a punch, deep and strong bass

Cons: Distorting, too much bass, sibilant, recessed mids, below average for rock and melody of different genres of music

Overall, I find these headphones eh for it's price. Comparing them to the Image S2m, they sound more expansive. On depth however, the S2m sound more full at equal volumes without an amp or EQ. The R1s lack clarity and quality when compared to the S2ms, but at higher volumes, can make up for their loss of depth, and with extra spacious sound, immediately become more deep. Bass is strong, sometimes even distorting the music, and parts of the mids sound recessed. Although sibilant at times, it's not intolerable. Using the EQ to increase it's mids and reduce a bit of the laws and a Fiio E6 (and switching from the Comply foams to the small silicone tips), the sound immediately became more depthful, and even sounded much better, and with better fit too. Overall, if you are used to full-sized headphones, these IEMs will disappoint. The sound signature is not for everyone, they are not balanced, and do not focus on the highs. They sound pretty poor at the sub-bass level, and can even get sibilant (although not as bad as the Image S4. At $35, I cannot complain too much, but I personally cannot listen to them. I do not feel as they are a true bang for your buck, but even for someone who dislikes their bassy signature, they are at least tolerable compared to other cheap headphones at it's price (ex. average Sony or Skullcandy headphones). At worse case scenario, they lose in depth compared to the S2m, but has stronger bass, less sibilant, and more spacious. At best case scenario, their price for it's strengths and your ability to amp them and modify their sound with the EQ can make them really worth the money.

My opinion did not include me burning in these IEMs. Used the Comply foams and the silicone tips (and found that the silicone tips sounded better), used a Fiio E6 amp which made it sound much better and had the EQ increase parts of the mids.

Brainwavz R1

The Brainwavz R1 are driven by two dynamic drivers, in a woofer and tweeter configuration. Most earphones only use one speaker, with the R1 two speakers are utilized to provide a better reproduction of sound across the entire audible sound spectrum. Using two drivers work harmoniously to provide a sound deep in bass and rich in detail. The R1 are suitable for any genre of music and are intended to be worn in a over the ear manner. Features: Woofer & Tweeter Dual Driver Deep bass and rich in detail Over the ear design.

Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Brainwavz R1