Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Brainwavz M4 In-Ear Headphones › Reviews › Kadano's Review

Below today’s standard

A Review On: Brainwavz M4 In-Ear Headphones

Brainwavz M4 In-Ear Headphones

Rated # 172 in Universal Fit
Kadano

Pros: Sound is not terrible, CTIA plug (on the microphone version)

Cons: Flimsy cable that tangles easily, overpriced compared to other earphones

I bought this in 2012-06, when my Brainwavz M2 broke. It was given a Sonic Diamond by ClieOS for the pre-order price and 4.2 / 5 for the sound quality, so I expected quite a bit.

Unfortunately, the cables are nowhere near as good as those used on the M2. The build quality of the speakers seems quite okay, though.

Compared to the M2, the bass is considerably weaker, but the higher frequencies are more detailed, albeit not much. It wasn’t the upgrade I had expected, more an eqivalent exchange where I sacrificed bass for clarity.

So why do I only give them 1.5 stars? Answer: Sony MH1. I received them today, and without any burn-in at all, they sound vastly superior to the M4 and have a better build quality. At the same time, they are also considerably less expensive – I paid 6.45€ and finding deals below 20€ is very easy. Even when you add the 4 USD for a CTIA-OMTP converter.

I just don’t see any reason to buy the Brainwavz M4 when the Sony MH1 can be had for a lot less.

MH1 has a horrible cable though.
it's not just the MH1, there's a lot of models which are vastly superior than this. Koss earphones, Vsonic models, Brainwavz R1. you name it... M4 is one of the most basic products on the market unfortunately (with xiaomi pistons).