Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Bowers & Wilkins P7 › Reviews › leadbythemelody's Review

Top-of-the-line Portable Headphones (Best for: Rock, Metal, Jazz, Electronic, and Pop)

A Review On: Bowers & Wilkins P7

Bowers & Wilkins P7

leadbythemelody
Posted · Updated · 8006 Views · 9 Comments

Pros: Tight/Fast Bass, Very-detailed, Musicality, Instrument Separation, Beautiful/Unique Design, Build Quality, Folds up, Inline Volume Control.

Cons: Slightly thin mids, unnatural representation, Coloured-sound, Loose Bass.

Did not like the B&W P5's b/c of their dark/bloated sound but the P7's changed everything! It may be because it's not an on-ear headphone like the P5's that "muffles" out the higher frequencies, I don't know. But regardless, these have an exciting, detailed, and dynamic sound that is sure to satisfy ALOT of people. Some disadvantages the P7's face is it's slightly thin midrange and unnatural representation. The soundstage is great for a closed headphone but that means nothing because the representation is very unnatural; and it sounds somewhat synthetic because of the boosted treble. If you want a portable headphone with a more accurate/natural representation along with a more euphonic midrange while not sounding overly thick and still maintaining good PRAT, get the PSB M4U 1's instead. All in all, these are still one of the best portable headphones currently available! Highly recommended.

Because price is totally indicative of sound quality. Totally.

-_-
Thanks for the great review! These headphones check off a lot of boxes for me as I've looked for something portable that sounded great driven by iOS devices. They sound even better on my desktop rig as I've reported in the forums. I agree that the good looks of these headphones could get you mugged if you were in the wrong neighborhood. I'm dying to try these with Astell & Kern AK10. My Headroom TotalBithead works great, with my iPad and the P7's, but of course they this combo can't be used on the move.
i got these yesterday- have listened to them for about 5 hours total, a wide variety of music from Sequentia (medieval) to acoustic folk to electronic to hard rock. I'm not really good at writing detailed headphone reviews, so I won't try to. But- these are extraordinary headphones, straight out of an Iphone and Ipad. Much, much better than the M80's (which I like a lot). Obviously it's hard to compare closed fullsized headphones to IEM's, but I am hearing detail (and just amazing musicality) that I haven't heard with my UM3x, UM2, and Turbine Coppers. And they are gorgeous.
No problem Jazz1! These are probably my endgame headphones for Hi-Fi on-the-go, I don't think there is anything better :). And I bet the P7's will scale impressively when provided with a good desktop setup, I hope to try that someday!
That's actually a great snippet of what the P7's sound like. They do have amazing musicality and detail that are equal to top-of-the-line universal IEM's. I think I'm going to add "musicality" to the pro's. Thanks for your impressions :D
I'm digging deep into my AIFF files this Sunday. Wow is all I can say. They have inspired me to build a a ton of new playlists via iTunes. I amaze myself with my good taste in music ;). It isn't often that headphones make me dig this deep into my large library. Yeah, that these are that good. BTW I started out with Koss Pro4a's in the 70's ;) Maybe that disqualifies me ;)
You're not making any sense. You say they are your endgame headphone for hifi on the go, but in your review you write things like "slightly thin midrange", that the presentation is "very unnatural" and the sound "synthetic"?

It's not that I don't respect your opinion, but make up your mind at least..
I'm not sure what "congested representation" means. They seem "uncongested" to me. I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep these. I also ordered the NAD Viso HP50s to compare. They sound good, but are sometimes very veiled after listening to the P7s. Having said that, sometimes the aggressive mid-treble of the P7s can be fatiguing to me (I'm surprised more people don't mention this...I guess it's just me). But the clarity cannot be denied.
You say that they have a "congested presentation" but "the soundstage is very good for a closed headphone," which is not going to make sense for most people. What do you mean by congested? Usually it means a crowded soundstage, which is obviously not true in the case of the P7.