Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Bowers & Wilkins P7

Bowers & Wilkins P7

Rated #110 in Over-Ear

Pros: Full and rich sound, comfortable fit, very detailed, wide soundstage

Cons: Slightly heavy, some might find the sound a bit on the warm side, a tad expensive

I've been looking for a decent pair of headphones that sound great, but also look nice enough that I'd be willing to be seen in public with them. And importantly, I want them to be comfortable. Before this I've always used IEMs, mainly the Shure SE530 which I've had for about 4-5 years now.

In my search for a decent pair of headphones, I've also tried out the KEF M500 and Sennheiser Momentum (over-ear). I loved the sound of the KEF, very detailed and spacious, but because it's an on-ear model the pressure on my ears would create great discomfort after about 2-3 hours, so I returned the KEF. I also like the sound of the Momentum, but again it gets uncomfortable for longer listening sessions, since the earcups are too small for my ears, making them a semi on-ear/over-ear model for me. I have to readjust them every 5 minutes, distracting me from the music. So that more or less also rules out the Momentum.

So, first of all, the P7 looks great. It's made entirely of black leather and metal, no plastic parts. I like the fit and finish of it. It comes with a small semi-soft carrying case. The P7 folds down into a relatively small package, so it's quite portable. It comes with two cables, one of them has a mic and iPod/iPhone controls on it. I installed the one without the mic and controls as I won't use them. The cable tucks away nicely, first giving you the impression that the cable isn't removable at all. But removing the magnetically attached earcups reveals the plug and then changing the cables is easy enough.

Comfort wise I really like these. I've been wearing them for 5 hours straight without any discomfort. The earcups are significantly larger than the Momentum, but I don't think they get too bulky. The clamping force will initially seem a bit strong, but for me that quickly disappeared after a few hours. But because of the weight you might feel a bit of pressure on the top of your head, since they're a bit on the heavy side for portable headphones. A wider headband would have been nice to distribute the weight more evenly. But it's not a major concern. I also didn't find my ears to get overly hot or anything, so overall they're quite comfortable.

Now onto the most important part, the sound. I tested these using a FiiO E07K DAC/AMP, connected to my laptop using a USB cable. Almost all of my source files are lossless (FLAC) and all EQ settings were turned off. Since I still have the Momentum laying around, I did an A/B comparison with the Momentum. I also let them burn-in over night and they've had about 15+ hours of playtime now.

A quick disclaimer, I don't consider myself an audiophile. I do really love music though, and I want my music to sound as good as possible. My hearing most likely isn't perfect, since I used to go to many parties when I was younger with the music playing way too loud and my ears ringing when I came home aftewards :) I'm also by no means a basshead, but I do like it when a headphone can produce a decent amount of bass when a song calls for it. I listen to a wide variety of genres, so I want a headphone to perform well with most, and I like it when they excel at rock/alternative, especially the midrange where you usually hear the guitars/strings (I love the sound of a guitar).

So, the main thing I noticed when listening to the P7 is the soundstage. It has quite a wide soundstage (though I've never owned an open headphone before, so wouldn't know how much wider it could sound), especially when compared to the Momentum. I feel like this soundstage gives more breathing room to all the individual instruments, so that each one of them can be heard more clearly without them constantly trying to drown out each other. I feel like the Momentum suffers a bit from this sometimes, because of the more intimate soundstage. The P7 comes close to sounding like an actual speaker, where the sound fills the room. This is something the KEF M500 also achieved, that big and full sound, that just sweeps you away.

One other thing I noticed was that the vocals are well defined and on some songs nicely separated from the other instruments. Whereas with the Momentum I sometimes felt that vocals blended in with the background a bit too much, the P7 separates it nicely while at the same time not making them jump out too much.

In terms of sound signature, it's actually a bit similar to the Momentum. It just doesn't roll-off the treble as much as the Momentum does and the bass has a bit more oomph to it. Still, the bass manages to stay well controlled. When I put them on the first time I could hear a clear mid-bass hump, but I feel that with the burn-in that has mellowed out a bit (or my ears have just gotten used to it). Also, I feel like the bass reaches a bit deeper on the P7, vs. the Momentum. It also has a nice sub-bass, which helps when listening to electronic music. The mids are actually quite gorgeous. Luscious is the word that kept coming to mind. Gorgeous and detailed. And the more present treble adds some airiness to the music and helps to create the wider soundstage.

Speaking of soundstage, I felt that the P7 has very good imaging. It's very capable of placing individual instruments left, front, right, back, even above and below. There is also a bit more prat with the P7 vs. the Momentum, which sometimes gives songs an exciting quality (and that's a good thing to me!). I find the sound overall a bit more engaging compared to the Momentum. Actually, it keeps reminding me of the KEF M500 in a way, which I really liked. It has some of the qualities of the M500 such as spaciousness, agility and that full bodied sound, but keeps the sound signature of the Momentum, which I overall preferred (especially with the vocals, I found the vocals to sound a bit thin sometimes on the M500). Do keep in mind that if you're looking for a neutral headphone, you probably won't find it in the P7, as the P7 is on the warm side of neutral.

What this headphone accomplishes for me is to immerse me in the sound and makes me forget what's going on around me. And since it's quite comfortable, I sometimes don't even notice I'm wearing these headphones. I know many people have complained about the small earcups of the Momentum, so for those people I'd suggest you definitely give the P7 a try, it might just be what you've been looking for :)

Update: One thing I forgot to mention is that the headphone isolates very well from outside noise. Earlier today the neighbors were drilling into the wall which made a hell of a noise, but when I put on the headphones with music playing at average volume I didn't hear a thing. In terms of leakage, I did a quick 'n dirty test with a mic at high sensitivity and it didn't pick up much of anything. So I'm pretty sure other people won't be bothered by it :)

Update 2: This P7 has a really great sub-bass, it reaches really deep. Deeper than the Momentum. On some electronic tracks I'm hearing basslines I've never heard before. And again, it's not overpowering, it doesn't drown out the mids or highs. I think it really helps to create a full-bodied sound and adds some weight to most music. The P7 is not a bass-head can, but if you like bass I think you'll like the P7. And you get luscious mids with good highs as well.

Update 3: With close to 30+ hours of listening time now, I feel like the bass has mellowed out significantly. At first when you put them on you might think the bass is a bit strong, especially the mid-bass, but now it's much better :) Oh, and I do think this headphone will let you hear the flaws in bad recordings, but it's more forgiving than the M500.

Update 4: Now almost 2 weeks later I still love the sound. The comfort, however, is another story. My left ear starts hurting after about 3 hrs. of listening. My right ear is fine, eventhough they're the same size (weird). The size of the earcup, or actually the space inside for your ears measures about 59mm long. My ears are 65mm long, and the average for males is apparently 64mm. You would think from an ergonomic point of view they'd design those things to fit the average ear. Anyway, in spite of how much I like how they sound, I've decided to return them as I want my headphones to be completely comfortable as well as sound good. So I've adjusted the rating accordingly, by dropping it a half star. Don't get me wrong, it'll probably still be comfortable for most people, as the earcups are siginifcantly larger than the Momentum. Just not large enough for my ears :)

Pros: Superb sound quality. Gorgeous design. Luxurious build. Excellent isolation. Excellent comfort. No need for amp.

Cons: A tad large for a portable.

Just as I thought it couldn't get much better than the KEF M500 as far as headphones to plug in your smartphone goes, Bowers & Wilkins update their range with the P7.

Design & build quality

When you first unbox the P7 and see it laying there folded in its tilted presentation, you instantly know you are dealing with quality of seldom seen measures. The all leather and metal built P7 smells like a brand new car when you take it out of the box and B&W have paid attention to every little detail. The design is basically a larger and slightly refined version of the P5. The quality of the leather, the precise stitching, the steel accents, the brushed aluminum nameplates with the same flawless edge-cutting you find on the newer Apple iPhones and iPads - everything just screams luxury and quality craftmanship. The hinges feel a tad fragile, but other than that build quality is unquestionably top notch. The headband seems thicker than it needs to be, but hey that's part of the design.

To put it simply, I think the P7 is one of the most beautifully constructed headphones ever. My only real complaint is that it's perhaps too fancy to carry with you outside. B&W have also confirmed for me that the leather is not coated for water and sweat resistance, so I wouldn't wear these outside in more extreme weather conditions.

I really like the cables of the P7 too. They are nicely thick (unlike the pathetic cord of the P5) don't tangle and don't feel stiff. The remote on the I-device cable is of very nice quality. Its fit and finish is as good as the rest of the P7 and the buttons are easy to press, unlike with the frustrating remote of the KEF M500.

Portability

The P7 is not a small headphone. It's not huge by any means, but it's a substantial piece for something to transport with you. Unlike the KEF M500, I can't put the P7 in my pocket. But B&W has at least done the best they can with the size and included a very well designed folding mechanism. The pouch in which you store the headphones on the go won't provide a whole lot of protection, but at least the cans are covered from dents and scratches. The pouch is also leather, closes magnetically, and has a very soft interior. Nice!

In terms of comfort, the P7 is initially a little clampy. But the pads and headband will soon soften up a little bit and the pressure loosen up enough for you to enjoy these headphones for multiple hours with no pain. They are not the most lightweight portable cans in the world, and I wish the headband was just a little bit softer, but I still find the P7 to be a very comfortable headphone. The earpads provide ample space for your ears (unless they are on the really large side) so you'll feel no discomfort on the ears after extended use.

The moderate clamp (which, by the way, makes sure the P7 sits firmly and securely on your head) of the P7 combined with the great seal of the ear cushions provide excellent passive noise isolation. With music playing decently loud, these will shut out your everyday life with no issue. For frequent airplane or subway use, in-ears or noise cancelling headphones like the Bose QC15 are probably better choices, but as far as passive noise isolating over-ears go, the P7 is up there with the best I've used.

Sound quality

I was never impressed by the dark and colored sound of the P5 and P3. But with the P7, Bowers & Wilkins prove that they have the skill to compete with the big players!

The P7 is the most naturally resolving portable headphone I've yet heard, while at the same time providing a tremendously musical listen.

The bass is warm, firm, very well extended and wonderfully well defined for a closed headphone. It punches with strength and weight, but does so with excellent control and finesse and a surprisingly low sense of resonance, resulting in clean and pure bass notes. As with most portable headphones, the bass has some extra potency to it - but just the right amount in my opinion. The bass blends marvelously well into the midrange, with no unwanted thickness. The bass is even better than that of the KEF M500, with an added sense of control and refinement. B&W have some special attributes with regards to the handling of airflow from the driver inside the cups, and whatever it is it seems to have worked out. Wonderful.

The midrange is equally fantastic. Voices and instruments are reproduced with beautiful clarity, acuity and no sense of hardness whatsoever. Vocals are brilliantly defined and the midrange tone of the P7 is very open sounding. I hear no strange dips or peaks in the frequency response at all. If I am to nitpick, I think the P7 is just a tad lacking in organic presence. But just a tad.

If you've previously discarded B&W headphones for their recessed treble then the P7 will come as a surprise. Expect no veil or lack of extension here, the treble of the P7 is as excellently defined and refined as the rest of the spectrum. It's lively and rich, with tremendous detail and resolution for a closed headphone. But it's never harsh. It's never shrill, thin or hard sounding. The biggest issue I have with the KEF M500 is the somewhat metallic sounding treble, and the P7 has no such issues. The treble is quite accurate, and reproduces those hard-to-get-right high frequency instruments faithfully. Like the bass, the treble is marvelously well integrated with the midrange, and the coherency of the P7 is as good as any sealed headphone I've listened to. Some will find the treble of the P7 to be a little bright, but this has not proven to be a problem in my case. The treble is in fact livelier than perfectly neutral, but it seems to always stay on the fun side, rather than crossing into strident territory.

And then there is that tremendous soundstage. The P7 images amazingly well for it's size and handicap (meaning the sealed construction). Providing the recording is up to snuff, the P7 paints the soundstage accurately, with a great sense of depth and ambience. Vocals are pushed up front and centered, instruments have proper space and excellent focus.

Now, the P7 is not a reference headphone. I have heard even tighter bass, I have heard even more transparent mids, I have heard even smoother and more refined highs and bigger and more precise soundstage abilites. But not from a portable headphone. Not from a closed-back headphone at this price. And, to my memory, I've not heard another closed-back headphone at any price which does so beautifully in every area and provides such a coherent and natural sound as the P7. At least not at the time of this review.

Summary

How much better can portable headphones get? I mean come on! I know it's a dangerous thing to say, but I think it's gonna take a while until a company releases a new contender that's as uncompromising as this. The P7 looks fantastic, it feels fantastic, it's very comfortable and isolates very well, and it SOUNDS just beautiful. If you seek a high fidelity headphone, value both form and function and have $400 to spend on a portable, I can't think of anything I'd recommend more.

Pros: Clarity, Bass Extension, Soundstage, Design

Cons: Price, Propriatary Strainrelief Design

I started this review with the intention of pointing out the things I don't like about it, but man, there really isn't much I don't love about these.

Out of the box they sound very thin and anemic, but still good transparency.  I took them off immediately, and put them in the included case, then turned the volume up pretty high for 30 minutes.  When I returned to check on the status of them, I was stunned.  Coming from a pair of UE Triple Fis and some K701s, I knew it was a downgrade, but at the moment up putting them on after the 30 minutes..... I realized I shouldn't have assumed.  In a nutshell, they remind me A LOT of my old silver cabled K701s (after burn in of the 701s).  The transparency, the attack, the huge soundstage (seriously....they're in the K701 tier), and the coldness of the signature.  I read every review I could, and the word "warm" kept popping up, but I have to disagree.  Imagine the very cold K701s with some of the most lush liquidy bass you can imagine, and you'll have a good idea of what to expect from the P7s.  These are obviously just my thoughts with my past setups, and is extremely opinion, so from this point forward I'll try to touch every aspect of the phones, and then I'll do some music testing.

Build Quality

Okay, I'm not going to try to use sexy words that compare them to high-end automobiles.  These things are tanks.  They're mid-weight.  The leather smells like high-end by itself.  I was concerned about the rod design, as I've never owned a pair of Bowers and Wilkins before, and I didn't know what to expect, but they're rock solid.  The replaceable ear-cups are a great touch, and I don't have a doubt that I'll probably own these for a few decades or more as long as I can get ear-cups and cables.  There's honestly not much to say about this area, because you instantly realize why they are so costly from the very second you slide the lid off of the box, and it's not just an initial reaction.... it's one that never goes away.

It takes a few minutes to get the comfort just perfect, but once you get it all situated it's like putting on a marshmallow helmet.  The headband will hurt if the sizing isn't adjusted perfectly, and I mean perfectly... an inch off throws everything off.  Undoubtedly, if you're in the market for these, you've read some reviews talk about the excessive clamping; out of the box they were way too strong and hurt, but I stretched them out in a realistic manner (what it takes to put them on plus another three or four inches), and now they remind me of the Sennheiser 5xx series.  I've worn these for 15 hours at a time, and I simply forget they're even on my head, but granted I don't have the hugest head around (avoid these if you're a Stewie Griffin).  I assumed that the ear-cups would be too warm after hours, but so far no issue (no sweat or anything).

I just want to add this for anyone that may wonder: I use my headphones to watch TV while I'm trying to go to sleep.  I lay down on my pillow with these on, and they don't do anything unusual like most OTE headphones do.

Treble

These really can sparkle.  They aren't harsh though, and I can honestly say they're within my treble sweet spot, because they don't fatigue, nor are they harsh, but they are right there at almost being able to do that.  In a nutshell, they treble is about perfect for the music I listen to, and they handle distorted guitar solos well if you're into that, while the K701s were a bit too harsh for extended listening of this genre.  I do use these to watch TV too, and the treble is good enough that I can hear the variances in the audio tracks during a single scene... like a CRT sound when one character has dialogue, and the character responding doesn't have it.  Cymbals, snares, and reverb audio is extremely clear.  Be warned, however, these SLAUGHTER compressed audio, and it almost makes it unbearable.

Mids

The mids are very intimate compared to the rest of the spectrum.  Male vocals are probably some of the best I've ever heard through any headphone, but female vocals are very good as well (though not as good).  90% of the music I listen to is electronic, and any Moog synth mid-basses are stunning (like deadmau5's stuff).  While I think the mids sound wonderful, they don't sound top in class to me, as in I can't point out any problems, but also can't point out anything unusually good.  I don't feel that the mids are recessed though, so don't take what I'm saying as that.

Bass

I think these headphones REALLY shine in this area, so to speak.  I haven't heard a headphone handle the other frequencies so well while genuinely impressing me within it's bass range.  Like I said, I do listen to mostly electronic, but I'm an audiophile electronica junkie... not a V-Moda bass junkie.  These things are extremely accurate with their bass, and have been using them for some music production (electro-house and progressive), and they really do keep up with what I KNOW is going on behind the scenes.  The most impressive part about all of this is how low these things go... I mean they love to wrap your mind in a lush liquidy layer of sub bass (~30-40hz) while still extremely accurate with the kicks, snares, and synth riffs I'm throwing at it.  As a test, I threw about 40 instruments together in a DAW, and I could pick out every single instrument while I had a steady bass pad going (FYI, the k701s would distort significantly faster than these... but this is borderline abuse for any non-BA speaker).

Now I also play acoustic instruments, and have a bunch of acoustic recordings and music.  I down-tune my acoustic guitar to D standard, and the P7s play it as naturally as I play it.  I'm adding this because a lot of headphones that love bass will bloat this sound out, while these don't as far as I can tell.

Music Samples (all are 24-bit 96kHz vinyl rips)

Carbon Based Lifeforms - Frog

There's a DX7 synth during the intro, and man it sparkles.  Xylophones quickly accompany the DX7 within the first 30 seconds or so, and the xylophones dances around in mid-air.  The entire track has a VERY warm pad that makes you all gooey inside, and it's almost bazaar how it stacks into the background... almost like it's been there since before the song started, and is a very natural and organic sound.  This isn't a bassy track, in case you aren't familiar with it, and don't want to go hear it, but there's a very great mid-bass that goes on throughout the track, and I physically feel this on my ears (the presence of this is very powerful IMO).

M83 - Midnight City

Okay, this song is very fun, and it's very synthetic sounding.  The stabs are very detailed during the beginning, and the Moog bass is delicate.  The layer of low bass that creeps in is very hot and just lovely, but it doesn't overwhelm the other instruments at all.  The vocals are FANTASTIC... absolutely my favorite part paired with the P7s.... very smooth and natural.  The snares throughout the track are almost overly detailed, and I hear everything about them (I'm not sure if the headphones are emphasizing on this range, or if the song does).  There's a looping sound towards the last quarter of the song that sounds like wire sticks hitting a symbol... I have never heard this part before, and it's a great example of how detailed the highs are on these.

Daft Punk - Lose Yourself to Dance

I'm going to go ahead and say that I've never heard drum kicks so amazing on any other headphone of any price-range ever.  Seriously, I'm not sure what it is about these drums, but it's almost like they were made for the P7.  I know drumming equipment well, and these sound very real and right in front of me (and a little to the left ;)).  The palmed guitar strums are very sparkly, and as a guitarist I can hear every detail of what's going on with that.  The vocals are very good, but not as good as Midnight City, but it still sounds amazing.  I've never been the hugest fan of this song, but when paired with the P7s it becomes EXTREMELY fun.  Just when I had them pegged as cold and heartless it pulls something like this out.

Days of the New - Die Born

What can I say, I'm a sucker for acoustic.  This song is HUGE, organic, warm, and extraordinarily detailed.  Such fantastic recording in this song, and it is the highlight.  The guitars dancing around on a 3D plane all around you.  The vocals are very dynamic, and right in front of you (sounds like 10 feet in front of you).  The cymbals within this track are extremely detailed, yet light.  The distorted guitar comes in and is not dominating, but rather paired with the organic sound of the acoustic instruments like cheese is to wine.  This song is a bit hot towards the half-way point and all the way to the end, but even though the P7s are trebley at times, they aren't harsh during any of this.

Goldfrapp - Strict Machine

This song is has some of my favorite vocals in it, and it really proves me wrong about female vocals not sounding amazing with the P7s.  There's those dry airy vocals that demand to be heard, and you can't not analyze every single second of the vocal track.  This entire track is composed of square waves, and boy do the P7s perform.  Out of every song on this list, the award for hugest soundstage goes to Goldfrapp.  Some of the instruments sound like they're 20 feet away, some are right next to me (like the square waved bass), and there's a vast ocean of extremely intricate instruments dancing everywhere.  There's these bass riffs that play every measure, and they sound like they're developed in the distance, and rush towards you... which is something I've never experienced.  This song has so much stuff going on in it that it's like static of amazing sounds, and they're all covered up with a blanket of deep deep deep bass that you'd expect from only a sub-woofer.

Well, there you have it.  These are fantastic headphones, but I don't think I would say they're quite reference.  That isn't to say they aren't as detailed, but rather there's a little bit of color.  The mids are of good quality, but the highs and lows are AMAZING quality.  I would say these are the bassiest cold headphones I've heard, and that seems like a strange thing to say, but that's the impression that I'm left with.  I think that a few years ago, when you had the three kings: HD650, DT880, and the K701s, if you prefered the K701s, but wanted more bass and something a lot easier to drive, then you should give these a test drive.  If you loved the HD650s, then I doubt these would be for you unless you want something a bit less "dark".  I'm not going to say that the P7s belongs with those three headphones at all, but I'm using that as a reference since most people know of those, and we can't all go to a local hifi shop or apple store to give these a try.  The fidelity of these is top-notch, and I recently sold my triple fis; I got these with the assumption that I was stepping down in fidelity, but I was wrong to assume that, however they are a lot different (you simply can't compare a headphone to IEMs, and I'm not going to try).

UPDATE: So I love these headphones a lot...they're fun, they're built great, and I wanted to up their game some.  I decided to recable them since they have a modular cable design.  I ended up squeezing 18G copper into the cup without moddification, and without stressing the interior at all (I'm weird like that).  The soundstage exploded, and sound more open than any non-soundfield design I've ever heard (they actually remind me of the Sony PFR-V1's soundstage).  Most importantly, however, is the transparency! Anyway, if you own a pair of these, or are going to get a pair of these, just make sure you swap that cable out!

Pros: Tight/Fast Bass, Very-detailed, Musicality, Instrument Separation, Beautiful/Unique Design, Build Quality, Folds up, Inline Volume Control.

Cons: Slightly thin mids, unnatural representation, Coloured-sound, Loose Bass.

Did not like the B&W P5's b/c of their dark/bloated sound but the P7's changed everything! It may be because it's not an on-ear headphone like the P5's that "muffles" out the higher frequencies, I don't know. But regardless, these have an exciting, detailed, and dynamic sound that is sure to satisfy ALOT of people. Some disadvantages the P7's face is it's slightly thin midrange and unnatural representation. The soundstage is great for a closed headphone but that means nothing because the representation is very unnatural; and it sounds somewhat synthetic because of the boosted treble. If you want a portable headphone with a more accurate/natural representation along with a more euphonic midrange while not sounding overly thick and still maintaining good PRAT, get the PSB M4U 1's instead. All in all, these are still one of the best portable headphones currently available! Highly recommended.

Bowers & Wilkins P7

The Bowers & Wilkins P7 over-ear headphone, the new flagship from Bowers & Wilkins. Has speaker inspired driver-units, great design and comfort, yet still portable. Crafted from leather, stainless steel and brushed aluminium. Technical features: - Dynamic driver - Nylon damped diaphragm - CCAW coil - Dual cavity cushion - Absorbing wadding - Changeable ear cushions - Detachable cable - Folding (hinged) design Description: Circum aural headphone Drive units: 2x Ø40mm Impedance: 22 ohms Frequency range: 10Hz to 20kHz Distortion (THD): <0.3% (1KHz/10mW) Max. input power: 50mW Sensitivity: 111dB/V at 1kHz Inputs: 3.5mm stereo mini jack (on cable) / 2.5mm mini jack (on Headphone) Height: 192mm folded out, 130mm folded in Width: 190mm Depth: 70mm Cable length: 1.2m Weight: 290g Finish: Real leather and metal

Cord Length1.2m
IsolationCircum aural (over ear)
Driver TypeDynamic driver / Nylon damped diaphragm / CCAW coil