Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › On-Ear › Bose OE2i Audio Headphones - White › Reviews › hmohammed43's Review

Staying in my collection

A Review On: Bose OE2i Audio Headphones - White

Bose OE2i Audio Headphones - White

Rated # 64 in On-Ear
hmohammed43

Pros: Comfortable, look very nice (in black or white), quite bright sound

Cons: Don't isolate as much as you'd expect, bass could be lower

I've had these for a month and a bit, and now it's time for me to review them!

Audio

Most important from these is the audio quality. From stock they're a quite balanced headphone, with the classic on-ear phenomenon of a slight bass boost. They have a nice attention to detail, and a semi-shockingly wide soundstage for a small headphone. Not exactly on the same level as around-ear or open headphones, but sometimes I get a bit of distance with the quieter sounds from my tracks.

Bass

The bass goes quite low and, yet again in classic Bose fashion, stays just below your radar. It's there and adds a bit of warmth and depth, but doesn't blast it out. The only thing is, and with some of my bass-heavy hip-hop tracks, I can hear that they want to try and pump out that lower bass, but just gives up and gives a little bit of a shake. (Nearly makes me cry, because I do actually like these headphones a lot)

HOWEVER! Even with some of my very boomy tracks (like J. Cole's "Grown Simba," or Blackmill's "Evil Beauty") it can perform quite well, but I can hear it start to struggle sometimes.

Highs & Mids

For this, I use one of my simpler, but more complicated classical tracks, prime #7 (on a soundtrack for a game called Echochrome, in case you want to do some self-auditioning :) ) The viola and violin come through very clear, even when the viola hits it's higher notes, and when all the string instruments come together the mids still have some separation to them. Something which I like a lot about these headphones.

Equalisation notes

For all of the head-fiers out there who use a combo of their iPhone/Smartphone/MP3 player or something, with an EQ, these are very very resistant to any device-centric equalisation to the point that I can push the lower bands up on my phone, and they'll sound pretty much the same, but then refuse to do bass. So I'd really say that if you don't like the sound of these, there's hardly anything you can do.

Design, Build and Comfort

In classic Bose fashion, these headphones are extremely comfortable and light. Genuinely, for on-ear headphones, these are comfortable. I could wear these all day, and I want to, because they're more comfortable than air! The extra padding on the earcups (compared to the original OE headphones) and the lower clamping force makes them seem to lift off of your head. Sometimes (and that might be because of my hair) the earcup seems to slightly twist your ear.

The build quality is quite good as well, quite a sturdy plastic construction that's still quite light. The only thing is, the combination of a light headphone, with just enough of a clamping force means that they don't do much in the way of sealing any outside noise. I go onto the subway and I have to pretty much push these up loud to get everything I want from my tracks.

I know I'll get slapped in the face by a few for this, but the headband is something that isn't completely flimsy! I've had my share of annoyances at seeing how Triports stack up to anything else, and even though it isn't the strongest one of them all, it can deal with being stretched by my hair (I have an afro) and is thin enough to leave a semi-manageable dent in there

If, somehow, the page's picture (or my picture) doesn't show you how nice these are, then I shall tell you now! (As you can tell, this is my favorite bit)

#1, is the fact that you can get them in black, or white. I have the white ones, and I actually love how they look! The white ring spacer has a nice glossy finish to it, which compliments the (not-so) white of the frame of the headphone. It will turn heads. (When you're talking headphones in consumer-land, style is kind of important)

IMG_20120316_130435.jpg

Summary

These headphones have a nice clarity to them, that can make quite a lot of different genre's of music sound good. EDM could sound better, but as a hip-hop, R'n'B, and especially Jazz/Classical headphone for while you're on the go, I would say that these are good enough. If (like me) you have specific headphones for specific reasons, these'd make sense as a quick portable set to take out if you don't want to take out a portable amplifier or something.

Review complete! smily_headphones1.gif