Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › On-Ear › Bose OE2i Audio Headphones - White

Bose OE2i Audio Headphones - White

Rated #71 in On-Ear

Pros: Very compact design.

Cons: A bit pricey if you're paying full retail.

I know people bash on Bose because of they're over priced and I agree. I believe these retail for about $150 or so and I paid $85 for these due to employee discount at where I work. With that being said, I wouldn't recommend anyone pay the full price for these. Do some searching online, if you can trade stuff in somewhere and bring the price down a bit to somewhere the $100 range, then I'd say go for it.

I think these are great for every day use. I think the balance on these are quite good. The bass is strong but  not excessive. The way I put it, the bass is of the sound quality of a movie theater and not like a fixed up car. It's there to serve it's purpose and to complement the rest of the music not to over power it like as if you were to get a car sound system.

I also like the compact design. When these are folded up AND put in it's case, it's about the side of a double disc cd case. Perfect for if you're traveling or just on the go. These, IN THE CASE, will easily fit into a cargo pocket on a pair of cargo shorts or even your back pocket (just don't sit on them).

The main reason why I wouldn't recommend them at the full retail price point is because they feel a bit fragile. They're quite durable but I'm also pretty good with my stuff and I typically don't break anything but they feel like somewhat bare bones but that also attributes to it's light weight.

They're fairly comfortable for on ear models. I've worn these for hours at a time and haven't been as sore as with other over ear models that I've owned.

Overall, I'd recommend them. The price point issue is up to you. Even if I had paid full retail for these I'd be satisfied. There may be stuff of equal quality for a lower price but there are probably the easiest to get your hands on and are more readily available at retailers opposed to having to order what ever model you've done research on on line.

Pros: Comfortable, look very nice (in black or white), quite bright sound

Cons: Don't isolate as much as you'd expect, bass could be lower

I've had these for a month and a bit, and now it's time for me to review them!

Audio

Most important from these is the audio quality. From stock they're a quite balanced headphone, with the classic on-ear phenomenon of a slight bass boost. They have a nice attention to detail, and a semi-shockingly wide soundstage for a small headphone. Not exactly on the same level as around-ear or open headphones, but sometimes I get a bit of distance with the quieter sounds from my tracks.

Bass

The bass goes quite low and, yet again in classic Bose fashion, stays just below your radar. It's there and adds a bit of warmth and depth, but doesn't blast it out. The only thing is, and with some of my bass-heavy hip-hop tracks, I can hear that they want to try and pump out that lower bass, but just gives up and gives a little bit of a shake. (Nearly makes me cry, because I do actually like these headphones a lot)

HOWEVER! Even with some of my very boomy tracks (like J. Cole's "Grown Simba," or Blackmill's "Evil Beauty") it can perform quite well, but I can hear it start to struggle sometimes.

Highs & Mids

For this, I use one of my simpler, but more complicated classical tracks, prime #7 (on a soundtrack for a game called Echochrome, in case you want to do some self-auditioning :) ) The viola and violin come through very clear, even when the viola hits it's higher notes, and when all the string instruments come together the mids still have some separation to them. Something which I like a lot about these headphones.

Equalisation notes

For all of the head-fiers out there who use a combo of their iPhone/Smartphone/MP3 player or something, with an EQ, these are very very resistant to any device-centric equalisation to the point that I can push the lower bands up on my phone, and they'll sound pretty much the same, but then refuse to do bass. So I'd really say that if you don't like the sound of these, there's hardly anything you can do.

Design, Build and Comfort

In classic Bose fashion, these headphones are extremely comfortable and light. Genuinely, for on-ear headphones, these are comfortable. I could wear these all day, and I want to, because they're more comfortable than air! The extra padding on the earcups (compared to the original OE headphones) and the lower clamping force makes them seem to lift off of your head. Sometimes (and that might be because of my hair) the earcup seems to slightly twist your ear.

The build quality is quite good as well, quite a sturdy plastic construction that's still quite light. The only thing is, the combination of a light headphone, with just enough of a clamping force means that they don't do much in the way of sealing any outside noise. I go onto the subway and I have to pretty much push these up loud to get everything I want from my tracks.

I know I'll get slapped in the face by a few for this, but the headband is something that isn't completely flimsy! I've had my share of annoyances at seeing how Triports stack up to anything else, and even though it isn't the strongest one of them all, it can deal with being stretched by my hair (I have an afro) and is thin enough to leave a semi-manageable dent in there

If, somehow, the page's picture (or my picture) doesn't show you how nice these are, then I shall tell you now! (As you can tell, this is my favorite bit)

#1, is the fact that you can get them in black, or white. I have the white ones, and I actually love how they look! The white ring spacer has a nice glossy finish to it, which compliments the (not-so) white of the frame of the headphone. It will turn heads. (When you're talking headphones in consumer-land, style is kind of important)

IMG_20120316_130435.jpg

Summary

These headphones have a nice clarity to them, that can make quite a lot of different genre's of music sound good. EDM could sound better, but as a hip-hop, R'n'B, and especially Jazz/Classical headphone for while you're on the go, I would say that these are good enough. If (like me) you have specific headphones for specific reasons, these'd make sense as a quick portable set to take out if you don't want to take out a portable amplifier or something.

Review complete! smily_headphones1.gif

Bose OE2i Audio Headphones - White
By:

Bose OE2i headphones combine lifelike audio with lightweight comfort. They deliver the Bose sound you expect, but they are even smaller and lighter than our original on-ear headphones. You'll hear the full range of your favorite music, from deep lows to clear highs. The sleeker, slimmer design looks great too. And OE2i headphones feature an inline microphone for iPhone calling and an inline remote that controls your Apple® product.

BindingElectronics
BrandBose
ColorWhite
EAN0017817556682
FeatureFold-flat, collapsible design allows easy storage in carrying case
Height7 inches
UPC017817556682
SKU97257WH
Part NumberOE2i

Related Media/Links:

Add related videos, links to item guides, etc.

Troubleshooting/Known Issues:

Had an issue other users should know about? Put it here.

How To:

Advice on installation, customization, and anything else.

iPhone Remote and Android devices:

If, like me, you want to be able to use the microphone and middle button with your Android device, search for "JAYS headset control" in the market. This will allow you to modify the middle button so you can control playback, and volume, all from the functional middle button. However, the iPhone headphone won't work with some, giving the message "Accessory not supported" so it's best to try them out with your phone and see if they work.

Related Items and Accessories:

Not necessarily items within the community, just any other recommendations.