Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › On-Ear › Beyerdynamic T51P Tesla Headphone - Silver

Beyerdynamic T51P Tesla Headphone - Silver

Rated #29 in On-Ear

Pros: Superb headphones with balanced sound and good PRAT

Cons: Cable is a little annoying and it's not the best looking

Hi. I've been looking everywhere for reviews for the new T51p and couldn't find much out there. So got them anyway and thought I'd share my thoughts. I have with me the T51p, B&W P3, Momentum on ear and Momentum over ear. First, I am going to discount the P3. It just didn't compete with the others with what I perceived to be veiled vocals and poor separation. I also didn't like the Momentum on ear's too much and didn't find them too comfortable. Sound stage wasn't as good as the over ear's and they were a little too bassey.

The Momentum Over Ear's and T51p's I thought were both very very good and also very similar. Both had in my opinion a very balanced sound. I did however think the T51p's had very slightly better Base and PRAT and very slightly recessed vocals but I mean very slightly compared to the Momentum's. Putting the volume up a little seemed to solve my perception of this. I also found the soundstage on the T51p's very good but not quite as good as the Momentum's. Perhaps I have bigger ears than average but the positioning of the Momentum's really affected the Base. I had to have them sitting on the edges of the back of my ears for them to sound good otherwise the base impact was lost. The T51p's were in my opinion not fussy with placement and were really comfortable too. They didn't hurt my ears and didn't clamp too hard at all. If anything maybe not enough but it didn't cause me concern because I wouldn't be running in them!

The inline controls are useful on the Momentum's and the cable coming out from one side meant that the cable stayed tidy. I found the T51p cable a little annoying. It seemed to tangle itself up a little and twist easily when wearing them.

At this point I'm not sure if I'm keeping the Momentum's or T51p's. I would say that if the Momentum's fit you will and the base impact is good for you, they are the better buy and look better too. For me though, the fitting issue is cause for concern and I really like the rhythmic qualities of the T51p's. Will see.

Sorry for the long review. First review I've ever written on anything! Hope it's helpful though.

Pros: high quality sound, excellent bass performance, solid build, very comfortable fitment, in-line remote/mic

Cons: no detachable cables, slightly recessed mids

I would like to acknowledge that I'm actually reviewing T51i model of these headphones - identical to T51p with addition of in-line remote/mic.  I received these for review purpose from Beyerdynamic, and these should be available for sale any day now (considering this review was written on 4/21).

Though I enjoy a comfort of big over-ear headphones, those are not always practical on the go with your portable audio setup of either smartphone or DAP. As a compromise, using on-ear headphones (sitting on top of your ears, rather than around 'over' them) makes it more portable, but at an expense of worse sound isolation, poor fitment, and reduction in sound quality. Sounds like a challenge? Not for Beyerdynamic and their team of German engineers! Introduced originally under T50p, which derived from their flagship DT1350, T51p was an updated version followed by soon to be released T51i. Here is what I found.

On-ear or over-ear, I still consider these to be full size headphones with two earcups connected by a headband, so it was a pleasant surprise to see a slim compact box T51i arrived in. It also included a lot of detailed info and specifications to give you an idea about the product even before you take it out of the box. Inside of the box, there was a slim nylon protective case where T51i was stored flat thanks to it's swivel earcups. Out of the case, I found these headphones to be very lightweight at only 174g despite predominantly metal design. The brushed metal design, everything from the headband to adjustment pieces, y-fork, and back and edges of earcups, was definitely a sign of high quality with a modern retro look. With each earcup having individual cable connection, unfortunately non-removable, the headband design was very minimalistic including two split metal bands with slim memory foam strips on the inside. The headband adjustment had a nice click mechanism and the attached y-fork connected to earcup had a full 180-degree fluid rotation. In addition to rotation adjustment, earcups also have a decent angle of tilt to meet demanding needs for any shape of the head. The round soft memory earpads were just an icing on the cake and I found the fitment to be among some of the best I have tested with all on-/over-ear headphones I reviewed in the past. I know its a bold statement to make, but between a perfect clamping force and the comfort of how these earcups adjust to my ears - I was able to find a sweet spot instantaneously and as a bonus was rewarded with a fantastic passive noise isolation on a level of some of the over-ear headphones.

Following a short strain relief on each earcup, the right side of the cable (cables are thin rubberized, yet durable) had a built in-line remote/mic surrounded by the same metal material as the rest of the design. I do have to note that all 3 buttons were cramped together, multi-function button in the middle with volume up/down around it, but the recessed opening of the remote actually guided in placement of your thumb right in the middle to hit the center button. Although volume up/down were designated for Apple devices, the multifunction button worked flawlessly with single click for Play/Pause/Call, double/triple click for Skip next/prev, and long press for Google NOW. Call quality was decent, and thanks to a close proximity of remote/mic to your face, it picked up voice crystal clear. Following the cable after remote, the y-splitter had a small rounded design with strain relief on all 3 ends, and the cable was terminated with gold plated right angle 3.5mm connector. As part of the accessory package, included were 1/4" jack adapter, airline flight adapter, and as I mentioned before - a premium nylon flat case with a few storage pockets and form fitting foam partitioning to secure headphones and cable inside.

As impressive as it looks, the next step was to examine it's sound quality to see what these TESLA drivers can deliver. Advertised with having a strong magnet, these dynamic drivers supposed to have highest efficiency and minimal distortion. I did start with about 8 hours of burn in to make sure these T51 would "warm up" for the job! I found the sound quality to be top notch with a warm sound extended down to a textured sub-bass level and fast punch of mid-bass to detailed rich mids and extended clear highs. Without getting into a typical deeply v-shaped sound, Beyerdynamic engineers were able to bring out a perfect balance of a powerful and clear bass without making it too bloated. Looking at some of the frequency response data measured on T51p, you can clearly see a mid-bass hump around 100Hz which is going to satisfy anybody's low-end craving, even for those who consider themselves bassheads (though I would not categorize these headphones of having a basshead sound signature). And if other-than-neutral bass is not your cup of tea, this can always be tamed by an EQ adjustment. The mids sound warm and intimate, especially when it comes to vocals though their presentation felt a little bit pushed back, probably due to extra bass quantity. Highs were extended enough to provide clear details, but not too bright and were easy on your ears for extended listening. Soundstage/imaging is probably average, which I consider to be pretty good for closed design. Also, there was absolutely no microphonics effect coming from the cables.

My sound testing was done driving T51i directly from X5 and Note 2 which wasn't a problem thanks to their 32ohm mobile-friendly impedance. I also used Beyerdynamic A200p usb DAC/amp in my testing. I know it's probably sounds cliche, but I honestly think that pair up took T51i sound to the next level. It opened up details and made sound more dynamic, including a tighter bass and adding more clarity and sparkle to upper mids and treble. Whats great about A200p is that if you are using T51p without in-line remote, that little usb DAC actually adds a transport control to play/pause and skip tracks. Obviously, with T51i while connected through A200p you will not be able to use headphone's in-line remote/mic. Another thing I wanted to mention, I couldn't help but to be curios how T51i will compare to my recently reviewed pair of on-ear V-Moda XS. Though XS has an advantage of a removable cable and super compact cliqfold storage, in terms of the wear comfort, sound isolation, and sound quality - I found T51i to be superior. As a matter of fact, I took it even one step further comparing to M-100 (and it's popular bass response), and found T51i to dominate in that comparison with a similar bass quantity and a higher quality.

Overall, this was another very pleasant surprise where I didn't expect performance of on-ear headphones to reach such a high level! For my taste these headphones are almost perfect, with an exception of non-removable cable and slightly recessed mids where the vocals sounded a bit withdrawn to my taste. But this sound signature is easily fixable with EQ, and considering fantastic "made in Germany" design, rich full body sound, super comfortable fitment, and the bass to make everybody happy - these deserve a very serious consideration for anybody in a market for on-ear or over-ear headphones.

Here are the pictures.

Beyerdynamic T51P Tesla Headphone - Silver

Like its award-winning predecessor T50P, the focus for design of the T51P is delivers unrivalled sound quality with our new and improved Tesla drivers. The closed design of the T51P also isolates external noise very effectively while on the go. The cable has also been improved to be more stable and has a satin finish which results in less cable noise. A light champagne tone lends the headphones a very elegant appearance and raises the T51P above the plastic monotony of most - even more expensive - headphones with its all-metal construction. Made in Germany. With its metal fully-adjustable headband and swiveling earcups the T 51 p fits perfectly on your head and confirms beyerdynamic's long-established reputation for producing headphones with excellent wearing comfort. The ear pads made of super-soft synthetic leather fit the contour of the outer ear thanks to its viscoelastic filling (a memory foam). Thanks to the swiveling earcups the T51P folds up compactly and fits in the included rugged nylon carry case. A high-quality 6.35mm adaptor is included for listening on premium hi-fi equipment or headphone amplifiers, smart phones, tablets and an airplane adaptor is also included so you can enjoy a superior experience of in-flight entertainment.

BindingElectronics
Brandbeyerdynamic
Colorsilver
EAN4010118716195
FeaturePerfect for mobile use, excellent ambient noise attenuation to quiet the surrounding noises Tesla driver technology developed by beyerdynamic for unbelievable audio performance Swiveling earcups 90Degree Made in Germany Excellent for smart phones, tablets, home audio, PC/MAC
LabelBeyerdynamic