Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › On-Ear › beyerdynamic T50p

beyerdynamic T50p

Pros: Treble, mids, size

Cons: Design, cost cutting in areas, hairs get stuck when adjusting, bass will not quite some people

On clearence as there are T51p and dt1350s now so I went ahead and got these for use on the road and in the office. The other phones I own right now are the over ear momentums so this review is in some ways a comparison.

I was a bit apprehensive due to the negative reviews here on head-fi from some owners. But I was somewhat pleasently surprised when I received them.

Build, looks and comfort:

The momentums win this one hands down. The T50ps has more of a raw industrial look to them, while the Momentums looks like (to me anyhow) a set of classy headphones. This is sitting on the desk, wearing them I have to say the T50p looks better while being worn. Comfort wise the momentums wins, they are so light and well designed they almost disappears when you put them on. While the T50p are not uncomfortable as such, they feel fiddly to adjust, has more clamp pressure and feels less secure on your head.

Materials wise I think Momentum are better, the fact that the T50p uses a set of bare rivets for the ear cup pivot make them look a bit cheap.

Design wise you have to wonder who approved a the T50p where adjusting the head band length will almost always (on a guy with shore hair) result in painful caught hairs?

Audio:

Well as a newbie I don't know how much my impression would mean to the old salts around here. Anyhow, I found them to be quite good. Yes, the Momentum has better sub bass and better bass in general. But the T50p are not bass-less as some might lead you to believe. And in some tracks I found more details in the bass in the T50p than the momentum.

Overall the Momentums are better overall with a more "effortless" presentation. But the T50p does some sounds better in the mids and treble.

For what's it's worth I never encountered that tricky positioning issue that maybe only the early production models experienced. The only way I can reproduce the nasal vocal description was to move them into a postion where it is very clear to me they weren't sealing. In fact they sounds perfectly good the first them I put them on my head without fiddly adjustments.

Pros: Nice fit

Cons: Audio quality

DISCLAIMER: I've not listened more than 20 hours on them.

If these headphones doesn't tur water into wine during the next 80 hours of listening, I declare these headphones as the worst buy ever.

The first time listening to these headphones left me with an impression of bad bass and great vocal quality. My hope was that the bad bass would turn into at least acceptible levels after a while. This has not happened. Also, the vocals, to me, sound like played through a tin can.

Do not buy these unless you only listen to bad music.

EDIT: After two weeks I finally squeezed some bass out of them, but only after careful placement on the ear. 2 millimeters off and they sound like crap again. So I nudge the sound quality up one step, but still, they are not very good.

Pros: Has it all

Cons: Need to EQ the curve and add an extra ear pad on to the existing one.

Hi, just want to tell everyone wondering over the sensitivity of the t50p regarding positioning over the ear. I was initially disappointed with this peculiar behaviour of the ear phone when I first got them. Also, there were particular "standing waves" at certain frequencies that disturbed, at least, me.

I bought mine slightly used, and the guy selling them contributed an extra pair of ear pads. These were also softer than the original ones, also a little bit thinner.  I got the idea to mount these ear pads straight on to the original ones, to get a little bigger "acoustic room" than before. And, behold (!), the positioning sensitivity was gone! The "standing waves" were also gone! With this little tweak I am listening with great satisfaction.

I really suggest anyone having these ear phones to try this out. It was a "new" sound to me.

It would really be nice to hear from any of you, if you had the same experience as I did.

Also, using EQ to dampen the big spike around 10-16 khz, dampen the mid 250-1000 Hz a little and and increase a little around 4 khz gave extra life to them.

Hear you later  :)

Pros: Detail, Clear, Precise

Cons: So far so good.

I'm using the T50P with my Centrance Dacport in my office and I'm in paradise. I did the usual burning of about 150 hours and used them every day since and can only praise for the amazing SQ I'm getting. I was a bit afraid of the sizing issue but didn't have any problem finding the proper adjustement and positioning is not an issue. listening to Radiohead, Jesse Cook, Yo-yo Ma or Marillion is just fantastic. I even favor them to my DT990/600 at home.

Enjoy!

beyerdynamic T50p

Audiophile-level portable-use 'on-ear' headphone from Germany. 32 Ohm impedance perfect for use with portable player devices of all kinds. Astonishing frequency response of 10Hz ~ 23,000kHz. (description from HeadRoom) >>> T 50 p received the EISA award “European Mobile Headphone of the year 2010-2011” <<< The T 50 p opens up new dimensions with its highest demands in sound quality and superior materials. The Tesla technology newly developed by beyerdynamic is now also used in headphones for mobiles. Whether on your way to work, college or travelling by train or airplane, the supraaural T 50 p shields external noise with its closed design. The efficient Tesla transformers provide extraordinarily precise and detailed sound. They even perform well with low-spec mobile players. With their slimline shape marked by simplicity and elegance, the smooth lightness of the T 50 p is also a winner for its appearance. There is no longer anything standing in the way of ultimate music enjoyment on portable devices, wherever you may be. iPhone compatible & MP3 ready.

No one has edited this wiki yet - be the first! The headings below are just suggestions; feel free to make your own.

Related Media/Links:

Add related videos, links to item guides, etc.

Troubleshooting/Known Issues:

Had an issue other users should know about? Put it here.

How To:

Advice on installation, customization, and anything else.

T50p Product Information p2.jpg

Related Items and Accessories:

Not necessarily items within the community, just any other recommendations.

Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › On-Ear › beyerdynamic T50p