Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 250 Ohm › Reviews › headphonereview's Review

Incredible Midrange

A Review On: Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 250 Ohm

Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 250 Ohm

headphonereview
Posted · 19756 Views · 4 Comments

Pros: Accurate Bass, Lush Midrange, Comfort, Build Quality, Nice Soundstage

Cons: Treble Lacks Some Detail

I reviewed the 32 ohm version of the DT990 Premium Open headphones and I have to tell you it was a joy.

I'll touch on the major points here but if you want to see my full video review or read my written review, you can head over to the link below....

Briefly, here's what I loved about the DT990 Premiums.  First, they might be the most comfortable set of headphones I've ever put on my head - yes, even better than the T1's or Beyerdynamic's other high end sets! The build quality is incredible and the midrange is probably the best you can get on a set of headphones in the $300's.  The prices seem to be all over the board when you look around on Amazon - the best deals seem to be on the 250 ohm versions and that's probably what I'd go for anyways considering even the 32 ohm version really needs an amp to bring out its full potential.  The bass is detailed and slightly boosted over normal, and really the only weak spot is the treble - it's good, but it doesn't have the ability to reproduce the finest levels of detail that I've grown accustomed to (even in cheaper headphones such as the ATH-M50's).

Definitely stop by and check out my full review at:

And while you're at it, swing by and visit my YouTube channel at:

I've started a Facebook page and a Twitter account that I'm considering ramping up on, so if you'd like me to post my initial thoughts on equipment I've bought or am reviewing and you don't want to wait for the full review to come out, swing by and like me on Facebook at:

Or subscribe to my Twitter feed at:

Excellent full review(your blog). I love a good midrange, which is one reason I've shyed away from Beyers. This one looks to be one I should try.
Thanks man - I try and go into the beef of what a headphone or amp has to offer because there's so much on the market it's hard to figure out what to spend your money on!
Ha ha, so true! So many choices so little money. :P
I own DT990 Pro 250 Ohm and I don't find treble resolution on them lacking at all. In fact, I consider treble reproduction to be a strength of this headphone - the quantity is a little out of proportion with the rest of the spectrum, but the quality is top notch and I do hear all the fine details in the high frequencies really well. Not sure what's up with your setup, but there's no way M50 can even approach DT990 in resolution in the highs or elsewhere. I owned M50 for a while and treble was not very good on them - it was bright, but unnatural sounding with a very apparent "metallic" tone to it, and detail wasn't anything to write home about. DT990 is far more delicate, resolving and natural, and it should be, considering that it is an open back headphone that costs quite a bit more than M50.