Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro - 600 ohms

Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro - 600 ohms

Rated #715 in Headphones

Pros: Clean Impulse Response , Excellent Dynamic Bass Extension , Scalability , Excellent Build and Comfort , Underpriced by $300-400 , Grain-Free

Cons: Beyer made a mistake by selling these for so low , people compare these to sh*t headphones

880s are part of the classic trio , 6XX-7XX and of course the 880s , I have all those headphones , my all time favourite might be the 650s but I have tons and tons of respect for the 880s

Here I have a pretty rare 880 , this is a PRO-600 which is pretty hard to get nowadays , I am quite lucky to have these classics , there are many Mid-Fi open dynamics but ..., I will name some I hate ...ma900s (These are so harsh and grainy that they abuse my ears) , X1s (Too bassy with very poor transition into the lower mids) , AT Air's have a good extension in the highs (UT) but the HE-300s destroy those in terms of upper treble extension and fidelity , 598s (They sound like a toy in comparison) - I own the 598s BTW

880s like all Beyer are underpriced and don't get much attention on Head-Fi , I think the 880s are probably the closest to the HD800s when it comes to impulse response , the 880s for a dynamic provide stunning performance , they are grain-free in the highs like all Beyers , from the linear and clean presentation to the fantastic bass extension which is almost flat and goes down low without any distortion ,  the 880s perform like a star

Since this review is a tribute I have compared the 880s to all my headphones -

1) 880 vs 650

Probably the most classic dynamic headphones ever made , both these are part of the classic trio ..now I love the mids and the bass extension of the 650s but I think the 880s are very close , I don't think the mids are lacking on the 880s , whereas I think they are amazingly coherent and smooth , after a lot of deep listens and testing I can vouch for the 880s mids , they are beautiful with the right music and can sound incredibly involving and tasty , the 880s have more sub-bass whereas the 650s have more mid-bass , typical of a Senn and Beyer  house sound , both the 650s and 880s are HiFi , tonal balance and accuracy is world class

2) 880 vs 702

702s are again a classic and as much as I love them I don't love them like the 880s , the 702s are having the same robust bass of the 880s which go down low when you want them too , I like them a lot , they lack the punch but they are superbly well textured and extended , they also have a wider presentation than the 880s , 880s are subtle and smoother in the treble , the 702s are more grainy in some areas too but I think its a fine phone and deserves to be in the classic trio , world class dynamics

3) 880 vs 770

Now you can call me a Beyer fanboy , the 770s are excellent to begin with so what do you get with the 880 , well less sub-bass , more Soundstage and better mid-range , that's about it

880s are more airy and resolving but the 770s are incredible for the price , again like all Beyer even they are underpriced

4) 880 vs 598

Haha ..598 is a joke , flabby bass , decent resolution ..598 are better than the ma900s but not even close to the 880s , 598s are strictly Mid-Fi

5) 880 vs Open HM5

My Modded HM5s are "Excelente" ! but not as "Excelente" ! as the world class 880  , the 880s are significantly cleaner and less grainy , the HM5s have a very tight and robust bass , probably too tight so it lacks the texture quality , 880s will have a much more fuller and bodied sound , HM5s are great but not as great as the 880

6) 880 vs Modded ZX700

Haha ..No comparison , let's proceed

7) 880 vs HFI-450

This is again wasting time but the HFI-450s are rolled off in the highs by 6 db from flat and have a peak at 8-10Khz but they are not grainy and I like them , 880s are much better

8) 880 vs D340

D340 sounds like its trying to destroy your ear with grain , the 880s are cleaner and more cohesive , although I got a stellar deal on the Denon's , can't complain

9) 880 vs HE-300

Now this is interesting , the HE-300 have a magic treble which is so unreal and smooth that it really kills the competition in that area , the HE-300 has a extension which is warm and so detailed its crazy , very smooth and clean , the 880s have the same detail but not the same warmth in the extension , mids , bass the 880s destroy the HE-300s

10) 880 vs Modded K240

240s have a nice clear sound , with the Modded EDT-990V they sound very similar to the 880s but they just don't have the bass and quality is not exactly like a 880 , still pretty good though , I like to call mine the AKG 880 :P

11) 880 vs DT150

Let me tell ya , this was tough ...both the 150s and 880s are stunning , the 150s have a nice warm sound , like the 6XX to me , bass wise the 880s will give you a better sub-bass which will be more bodied than than 150s , the 150s have great , great clarity for a closed headphone , like all Beyer even they are grain-free in the highs and are very easy to listen to . The 880s and 150s both are excellent , I highly recommend both of these ..legendary headphones

Story of getting the 880 PRO-600

So I always wanted the 880s even before I got the 650s (My first HiFi headphone) in my country it was close to impossible to find the 880s , saved up money ...after 4 months of getting the 650s decided to order the 880s from Amazon.com via international shipping , well good news was that I got a good price , bad news was it was backorder-ed and waiting was 3 months , haha yes , waited 2 months then got a E-Mail from Amazon saying that they couldn't process my order , they will have to cancel it
So I never got the 880s until one fine evening of Feb 2014 where I saw a classified ad of the 880-600 Ohm , the guy uploaded a stock picture from the website , it was of the premium so it all looked good ....well he sent me a picture and to my surprise it was the PRO and was 600 , I knew that moment that I will get it , since I was concerned I made a post about it in Feb - http://www.head-fi.org/t/707023/please-help-fake-880-pro-600 ..LOL that excitement period
Now I know the main people at Beyer India so they hook me up with anything Beyer , they also sent me free set of earpads and a new headband to make my 880s brand new again , so a big thumbs up to Beyer

Here are some old pictures before I got the spares from Beyer , this was around March 2014

They look like this now , this remained constant after I got the spares on 12th April

So this is it I guess , my humble tribute to this excellent world-class headphone which is highly underpriced and underrated here in the community , Beyer made this 2 decades ago and the design is still state of the art , this is engineering at its best , from the high tech DT-48 made in the 30s to the t1s ,Beyer has always made stuff which was incredibly amazing and underpriced , these classic DT models are worth owning , they truly are stunning , thank you for reading !

Video Review on YouTube -

Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro - 600 ohms

Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro / 600 ohms Studio Headphone The Beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO is a reference-class, semi-open studio headphone which combines all strengths of open, transparent headphones with those of more powerful, closed headphones. Specially designed housings and an improved system equalisation turn this “remake” of the studio classic DT 880 PRO into an ideal studio monitoring headphone, with analytical qualities. Soft ear pads and adjustable, sliding, earpieces together with a single sided connecting cable ensure listening comfort during extended periods of use. APPLICATIONS: The DT 880 combines the advantages of open headphones with those of closed studio headphones.The improved systems of the legendary DT 880 provide a high quality studio headphone with excellent analytical properties, especially for classical music. The balanced reduction of environmental noise guarantees a perfect spherical sound, while the complete sound spectrum is reproduced in great detail from the lowest sub bass up to the highest frequencies. The higher frequencies are crystal-clear without being unpleasant and impress with a very smooth sound. The precise balanced mid frequencies are analytical and supportive, without being predominate.The bass is voluminous without being too obtrusive. The new designed headband fits for all headsizes and grants better wearing comfort, especially during long studio sessions. FEATURES: Semi-open studio headphone Rugged headband construction Single-sided cable Soft headband pad Gold plated stereo jack plug (3.5 mm) & 1/4" adapter (6.35 mm) TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS: Transducer type . . . . . . . Dynamic. Operating principle . . . . . Semi-open. Nominal frequency response . . 5 - 35,000 Hz. Nominal impedance. . . . . . . 600 Ω per cartridge. Nominal SPL . . . . . . . . . 96 dB SPL. Nominal T.H.D . . . . . . . . < 0.2%. Power handling capacity . . . 100 mW. Sound coupling to ear . . . . Circumaural. Nominal headband pressure . . 3.5 N. Weight (without cable) . . . . 295 g. Length and type of cable . . 3 m / single-sided. coiled cable. Connection . . . . . . . . . Gold plated stereo. Mini jack plug (3.5 mm). and 1/4" adapter (6.35 mm.)

Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro - 600 ohms