Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones › Reviews › PonuryProboszcz's Review

Switched from HD380PRO to DT770/80

A Review On: Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones

PonuryProboszcz
Posted · 7004 Views · 1 Comment

Pros: much better hights, much better mids, much more comfortable then HD380 PRO

Cons: less power, less dynamics, hard to controld

Well, I  was looking for raplacement of my HD380 PRO at work.

The environment:

- music type: heavy metal (Slayer, Kat, Metallica, Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, Candlemass, etc...)

- music source: laptop flac/high res m3

- DAC: Fiio e17

- AMP: depends: Fiio e17 or Fiio e17 docked into Fiio e9.

So, in comparison to HD380PRO, I find  DT 770/80:

- weaker in bass

- better in mids

- better in highs

So probably I will not win Nobel prize :-) quite obvious...

Overall hearing dynamics of HD380 is much better then DT770/80. however:

- HD380 just crashes my head with bases, while DT770/80 simply delivers it

- HD380 is much less comfortable after 1hr+ listening then DT770/80. Much. Really MUCH.

- Mids were much better in  DT770/80 then in HD380

- Highs were much better in DT770/80 (I was able to hear separate clappings in concert recordings, while on HD380PRO I only heard noise)

- BUT!!! - HD 380Pro provides much more power of the sound. It is simply louder and much more dynamic... MUCH more then in DT77/80 case

- It is very hard to adjust EQ and AMP settings to different records in DT770/80 then in HD380 case. DT770 seems to be very very sensitive to EQ and APM settings, while HD380 takes anything and plays good.

- isolation of HD380 seems to be a TARGET which other closed headphone might only wish to reach (I use DT770/80 at work, and my collegues claim that they are louder much more than HD380PRO).

In general - DT770/80 gave me much more details what is happening in mids and highs. The sound is very clear in comparison to HD380PRO.

Am I satisfied ? NO. I expected much more power and more loudness&dynamics. So sooner or later I will find appropriate CLOSED headphones stuff.

1 Comment:

I think you would be more happy with the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro.