Great bang for the buck cans

A Review On: Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones

mattlach

Pros: closed circumaural design, 80ohm design allows use on portables in a pinch, very comfortable

Cons: Eardrum-piercing sibilance prior to break in completion, break in is quite long

I'll preface my review with that I am not a seasoned audiophile, so I don't know all of the jargon, but I do appreciate good sound, and I like what I hear in these.   They are by far the best sounding headphones I have ever listened to.

Granted my collection of headphones is very limited.

I was looking for a closed circumaural design, primarily because I find circumaural cans to be the most comfortable, and I like the isolating effect of closed designs (less sound out to annoy others, less noise in to annoy me).

These headphones work very well in that regard.  I have occasionally even flown with them. Who needs active noise canceling, when these work as well as they do?  Though while flying, a portable dedicated headphone amp definitely helps.

These headphones are not neutral monitors for sure.  at the same time, I feel like their reputation for being overly bassy is a little undeserved.  often when listening to music I feel like using an equalizer to up the bass a bit.   That being said, I listen to a lot of 80s stuff where the bass isn't very prominent in the mix.

Overall, I feel like I got a set of great sounding headphones for a relatively low price.  I am happy with them.

If I knew what I know now when buying them, I may have opted for the 250ohm versions though.

please let me know the differences of the sound amped an unamped to know if its worth buying an amp
I just got these a few days ago and you're describing almost exactly what I'm experiencing, but I got a question.   When you say.. "The biggest negative with these is the break-in.  I almost returned the headphones when I first got them as I found the highs PAINFUL and piercing.  at first break-in didn't seem to help, but as a "hail Mary" I left them on for a couple of weeks playing music I enjoy and it did the trick.'

Because I'm almost dead set on returning these and going back to in ear.  When you say break in, do you mean "burning them in" and letting play  music for an entire week?  Or do you mean break in as the comfort of the fit?  thanks..
@ActiveTechREV:

I meant from a sound perspective.   I found them comfortable on my head from day one.

My biggest complaint early on was that they were rather sibilant (strong piercing s sounds) and the high pitches were sometimes painful.

After they aged a little bit from playing lots of music (I didn't use a pink or white noise track like some do) the high pitches faded (or my ears just got used to them) and I started loving them.