Great bang for the buck cans

A Review On: Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones

mattlach
Posted · 57987 Views · 1 Comment

Pros: closed circumaural design, 80ohm design allows use on portables in a pinch, very comfortable

Cons: Eardrum-piercing sibilance prior to break in completion, break in is quite long

I'll preface my review with that I am not a seasoned audiophile, so I don't know all of the jargon, but I do appreciate good sound, and I like what I hear in these.   They are by far the best sounding headphones I have ever listened to.

Granted my collection of headphones is very limited.

I was looking for a closed circumaural design, primarily because I find circumaural cans to be the most comfortable, and I like the isolating effect of closed designs (less sound out to annoy others, less noise in to annoy me).

These headphones work very well in that regard.  I have occasionally even flown with them. Who needs active noise canceling, when these work as well as they do?  Though while flying, a portable dedicated headphone amp definitely helps.

The biggest negative with these is the break-in.  I almost returned the headphones when I first got them as I found the highs PAINFUL and piercing.  at first break-in didn't seem to help, but as a "hail Mary" I left them on for a couple of weeks playing music I enjoy and it did the trick.

These headphones are not neutral monitors for sure.  at the same time, I feel like their reputation for being overly bassy is a little undeserved.  often when listening to music I feel like using an equalizer to up the bass a bit.   That being said, I listen to a lot of 80s stuff where the bass isn't very prominent in the mix.

Overall, I feel like I got a set of great sounding headphones for a relatively low price.  I am happy with them.

If I knew what I know now when buying them, I may have opted for the 250ohm versions though.

1 Comment:

please let me know the differences of the sound amped an unamped to know if its worth buying an amp