Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Black

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Black

Rated #135 in Over-Ear

Pros: Decent sound, good bass, very comfortable

Cons: Very long burn in time, Not portable, didn't like pleather pads, mids slightly to regressed,

From what I have read the COP's there has been a very mixed reaction to the headphones, some love them and some detest them.  I have had these headphones for around two and a half months and have had a bit of a ride with them.  So here are my impressions and views.

I am not going to get into the unboxing of these headphones, the packaging is ok but nothing special.  Really you don't get much with these headphone in the box.  Just an instruction manual, 3.5mm detachable cable and an allen key.  There are lots of other attachments that you can buy separately with more being released.

Design and Practicality

The look of the COP's is meant to be one of the headphones selling points and they do have a distinctive
look about them.  The are not the best looking headphone but with the customisable plates and pads they can be made to look quite stylish.  Beyerdynamic will be releasing the COP's in several colours and my guess would be that they are trying to tempt the fashion headphone listening into buying something with a little more sound credibility.

I am not convinced by the design of the COP's though, mainly because of practicality.  When you buy a set of fashion headphones like the COP's, I would say one of the aims of the headphone is to get notice when out and about and whilst, anyone wearing them will get noticed, they are completely impractical for travelling.  The main problem is the size of the headphone.  They are great for wearing on head but because of their size, they feel horrible around the neck, like wearing a neck brace and they are not the best headphones for carrying around in a bag.  Also because of their closed back design and pleather pads, they get extremely warm.  I walked around wearing them around London in November and sweated buckets.  They just got too warm to be comfortable.  So I am not sure that these headphones are a practical fashion headphone.

Maybe the most interesting area is the bass slider, which has 4 settings in theory though I often use the slider in between settings (I will go into more detail about the bass and the effect the slider has, later in the review).

As I said above the COP's with the pleather pad does get exceptionally warm, even when listening to the headphones at home, my ears got hot.  Fortunately the COP's can be fitted with the velour pads from the DT770 and this does make a dramatic difference,there is a noticeable difference in heat build up.  With the pleather pads, the COP's are comfortable but with the velour pads the comfort goes to a completely different level.  One thing I did find was that the headband clamping pressure, caused a pinch on my jawline below my ears,but I was able to sort this out buy really stretching the headband out, to sort out the problem.

Build quality

The COP's are very well made,  The headband is made made from sprung steel and is flexable,  The headphones themselves are made from a tough plastic, which feels decent. the detachable back plate and ring, with holds it on is made from metal.  Everything feels secure and put together, properly.

Cable and 3.5mm jack, Part 1

One of the things I am not a missive fan of is the cable for the COP.  If is ok but I have a couple of problems with it, which I have split into too parts.  The first part is how the COP cable locks onto the headphone.  The lock is plastic ball a bit of plastic which inserts into a gap created in the plastic of the jack (image 1).  With removal of the jack the plastic around the gap does seem to  take a bit of a bashing.  It still works ok but isn't that practical.    It is possible to fit other headphone jacks (image 2) but they have to be quite slim due to the hole in the COP's headphone (see image 3)

Iange 1

Locking mechanism of the COP (badly drawn, sorry)

Image 2

M-80 3.5mm at the top, COP 3.5mm.

Image 3

The M-80 jack fits into the headphone because of the plastics thin size.

Being positive for a second I haven't had any knots on the cable at all and the cable is a decent length for listening to MP3 plaers in pockets.

Sound isolation and sound leakage

One of the the stand out areas of the COP is the sound isolation and lack of sound leakage.  The closed back design is a massive advantage with the COP when it comes to passive noise isolation and I was really impress with the headphone, this was one of the areas where I think the pleather pad did slightly better then the velour though the difference isn't large.  Again the same can be said when talking about sound leakage, which is very good.

I think the biggest contention with the COP's has been with the sound.  Some have hated the sound, whilst others like it.  I would say that the sound from the COP's is not the most detailed but it isn't bad, when the headphone is set up right.

When I first got the headphones, I hated the sound.  It was just horrible and I even put them back into the box and was thinking of shipping them back.  Fortunately I decided to give them a decent burn in and this makes a dramatic difference.  The COP's really do need a long burn in.  Even after two and a half months I would say that the sound is changing.   It took about 12 hours before I even began to think that the sound was ok and much much longer to start liking the sound.  40-60 hours and the soundstage started to open up and now it really is nice.

Bass

As said earlier in this review the sliders do make a dramatic difference to the sound.  There are 4 bass settings, with the bass gradually becoming more bassy as the slider is opened more.  Generally I would say that between 2 and 3 giving the best bass response.  I generally have the slider set at 2.5 or 3 which give a really good deep bassy sound, without distortion coming into the sound.  When the headphones are fully open the distortion becomes noticeable and the sound becomes more muddy.  I haven't found the bass to be that punchy, though it doesn't feel bloated either

Mids

The mids on the COP's have been the most frustrating part of the sound, and it has take a long time the mids to blossom.  When I first started listening to the COP's the mids where terrible and in particular the upper mids.  With a lot of listening though (100+ hours) the mids have come out much more and sound a long better, though they are a little recessed.

Highs

I haven't had any problems with the highs.  To me they sound quite nice and I haven't found them to be too bright,

Cable and 3.5mm jack part 2

The sound from the Bayerdynamic isn't great, after reading on the forum about someone changing cables, I thought I would try the same and used my M-80 cable to compare.  I have to say the M-80 cable does help, the sound is louder and too me, it helps with the mids a little (I could be wrong on this)

Sound (continued)

The sound from the COP's is very warm and I would would say that they are not a rounded headphone, audiofiles may want to take a pick axe to them.  For some music the COP's feel great but for other kinds of music, they feel out of their depth.  I listen to a lot of trance, big beat, rock and generally I would say that listening to these kind of music is nice (I am currently listening to Dark side of the moon, which is a joy).  I can't really recommend COP's for classical or pop, the mid's just doesn't have enough presence for me and I find it very hard to get excited at all.

Conclusion

The COP's are a very good headphone, with a great soundstage and good sound.  When buying them you have to take a bit of a leap of faith because they don't sound great to begin with, but with time you should be rewarded with a nice sound.  They are not perfect by any means, are completely impractical for wearing out and are a bit of an oddity, in the world of fashion headphones but they have character in abundance and if you listen to certain kinds of music are great fun.

Pros: detail. minimal leakage, soundstage

Cons: hollow, bass sucks, looks sturdy but not. could keep going

I need to try and be fair with these headphones. but its hard with such a disappointing experience.

Pros:

pretty detailed

minimal leakage!

bass adjustment is not a gimmick

bass quantity

soundstage

Cons:

hollow sound

mids recessed

bass is loose with no real presence

easily damaged with high volumes due to the thin membrane

pads feel uncomfortable(easy fix)

distorts at high volumes

Summary:

I could get by if the bass was present and sounded a little hollow because it would fill up the sound a little. But I have heard other Beyers and recorded with the dt 770 and cant remember the bass being that flabby. Flabby bass plus V shaped hollow sound and harsh sibilance=wack. Its like its there but it's not ...so weird. I have never heard a headphone do that. The four positions are cool to have and a great thing to have but for me I would much rather prefer one that didnt have it and just did it right to begin with. Position 1 is absolutely useless, sounding so thin and horrible that you can't even understand who would use it. They should have left it at three and made it more present. 4 is loud but Its hard to explain a bass that is loud but not really there. Its like some thing is missing.

At loud volumes they rattle and do all sorts of weird things. These definitely are not made for the modern <35 listener and can't even imagine them for someone over 35 because they are so sibilant and hurt my youthful ears. I blast my ears btw with other cans and love loud music (prob shouldn't) but when plugged into my my late version iMac they hurt my ears. I have never heard headphones do this. This may sound stupid and trust me I am no beats advocate but I would actually recommend those over these. You would lose detail but these hurt my ears more than those for some reason. I would never buy either and hate even mentioning Beats. But wow what a disappointment. I lost my hdj2000 headphones and was hoping to get something to reach lower. But the hdj 2000 blow these away, though the COPS do reach a little lower. But its like it reached down into the well of bass and grabbed mud instead of water.

I will say that If you listen at average volumes you will find clarity but the sound too hollow.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THESE. i was so excited to finally get the headphones that I read reviews about specifically headphonia. But wow do these things blow.

You can say I have a faulty pair and they need break in.

Well first of all break in never changes the over all first impression of the sound of the headphones by a whole lot. So in general you may get improvements but its not like hearing a whole new headphone and the gripes are far to deep to imaging these being able to pull above them with burn in.

I think beyer  has good quality control. So I imagine the super thin membrane to be a flaw though its an assumption. Why build something so delicate for the commercial consumer IDK?

EDIT: I wrote this as a total newbie and still am but have learned a bit more. Maybe my tastes have changed but I do remember these headphones being really bad. The airy detailed sound may suit some but these lack the fullness and body that make it an engaging listen. It was the worst let down ever in my headphone experiences.

Pros: Very Portable, Comfortable, Great Value

Cons: Bloated Bass, Forced highs

Clearly I'm not a pro at this but here goes something...

After not feeling 100% satisfied with my T 70's I wanted a little more Umph in the bottom end so I found great deals on the DT 770/80 ($149 new eBay- Contact me if you want the link they have more plus a 60 day return policy... Yes 60 days no questions asked) and the COP ($189 Amazon-Currently you can get them for $162). I'm still not finished with the testing but so far I do agree with what some have said so far. The DT770/80's have a much crisper sound than the Custom One Pro's but thats not a knock against the COP which I like but it is what it is. I actually put them up against my HIFI-780's and the COP won hands down and I sold my 780's which again I loved.

Now to the direct comparison and I'll break this down to make it simple and quick

Comfort: Tie -  The COP's are super light weight, zero clamp, and soft leather pads while the 770's are a little heavier with a slight clamp but the Velour pads are amazingly comfortable. Not as comfortable as the DT 990/250's but honestly nothing I've ever worn before can compete with the comfort of those bad boys. I told my wife I was going to make a Velour jumpsuit out of those pads... She shook her head and quickly walked away.

Portability: COP - 16ohm speakers... Nuff said. You need to amp the 770's for them to reach their full potential but running them through my Macbook Pro I got great results. My e11 does ok but I think its time for a change but not sure what to change to, a little help would be nice for those of you that are amp savvy

Soundstage: DT 770/80 - This is where the tide changes and stays in favor of the 770's. The sound stage is amazing for a closed can and it has the best depth of any headphone I've tested/owned. Using them with my Astro Mixamp 5.8 is redonk!! The bass you would think would get in the way and yes its clearly there but it doesn't get in the way at all. Playing BF3 on my 360 good luck sneaking up on me because the distance and direction is better than the best "gaming" headsets I've tested. I'm a sneaky C4 junky so sitting and waiting for tanks has never been easier. And when the boom comes the bass is eye popping and always giggle inducing. Now on the other hand the COP are no slouches either, but the bass feels a little muddy and the separation is good but cant compete but honestly, what can??

Highs: DT 770/80 - They just come through cleaner and more relaxed but neither has the it factor in this area. The COP's are brighter and seem to pop out a little better but at the same time can get fatiguing at higher volumes. While I was A/B the two this was the biggest difference IMO. The COP's highs are right in your face aggressive and at times it feels like they're trying to hard. That is where the 16ohm ratings are at a disadvantage because being that easy to run is nice an all until you wanna turn the volume up and it feels like your ear drums are gonna pop.

Midrange: DT 770/80 - Not as recessed which will be shocking to most that know the 770's because they have pretty recessed mids in the first place but for the type of music I listen to with these they work. If I wanted to High and Mid myself to death I have the T 70's for that :) I think the real problem with the midrange on the COP's is the the fact the the highs and lows just simply overwhelm the mids and because the separation isn't that great it makes it hard for the mids to come through.

Bass: DT 770/80 - This one I thought was going to be a toss up but it was not. At first when you pick up the COP's of course the first thing you want to do is crank the switch to the 4th and final position throw on some dub and get to work!! And at first its like yes this is nice, but once your ears stop ringing from all the Robot sex you start to listen and notice how bloated the bass is and how hard its working to keep up with the music you're putting through it. At higher volumes notes were missed, drops were sloppy, and general sadness started to kick in. Once the volume was returned to a normal state things improved greatly. Now the 770's on other hand were cool and collected regardless of what I put them through and at all volumes. The levels didn't increase with the volume and they remained steady throughout the entire process. What was funny was that the only time I felt they were limited was when I put them through my e11 hence the reason I say its time to move on. Soundstage was reduced and the bass got bloated regardless of the settings. Clear winner in the category.

Isolation and sound leakage: Tie - Isolation goes to the 770's but The COP's do a better job at keeping all the sound in your head and not in your neighbors lap.

Overall thats 4 wins for the DT 770/80's 1 win for the COP's and 2 ties giving the clear and decisive win to the 770's. I like what Beyer did here with the COP's. They clearly were going for the commercial sound and if compared to the Beats and Sol's of the world they win hands down in almost every way possible except for being overpriced. Beats will win that battle almost every time.

Which one you buy is ultimately up to you and hopefully I gave you some useful information to make the choice a little easier and if I didn't oh well, at least I had fun in the process. Thanks for the read and please throw out your suggestions for a good portable Amp under $160 that will do a better job than the e11 or gives a different sound signature.

Thanks again and Take Care

Pros: Very versatile, top notch SQ

Cons: Comfort, Ergonomics, Aesthetics

I'm relatively new to the scene and my wallet's already hurting! I've read posts on here for months so I think it's finally time I contribute something. This will be my first review, so let me know what you all think :)

I'm going to write this review assuming you've read the less detailed "overview" reviews and that you're familiar with the ins and outs of the product/packaging, etc.

These cans have burned in thus far playing a random mix on iTunes for 48 hours straight. I will try to update this after a few months once these have over 200+ hours of burn in time.

My taste in music

Fairly diverse! Currently jamming to the Above and Beyond Acoustic album. Earlier I listened to Nero's Welcome REALiTY album, The Roots, The Naked & Famous, Junip, Beethoven, Einaudi and Eric Prydz. Pretty much everything except for pop and country. Of course my reaction to these cans is completely subjective, but if you have similar taste in music, hopefully my observations have some applicability.

Source audio

All uncompressed FLAC or m4a files.

Power Management

Between my Moto x (having a tough time powering them - a constant feature with this phone is that it's up at 80% volume), my old HTC One X [designated mp3 player] (50% before hearing damage would ensue) and my Macbook Pro (~50-60% volume without EQ'ing), I'm never left wanting for volume. I tried using the Fiio E11 with all of these applications but it really wasn't necessary. I've also had the COP's plugged into a PS4 controller playing BF4 for those who are interested. The headphones work VERY well with the bass ports fully opened - tanks and choppers sound unreal and there's a satisfying "whump" every time a shot is fired. These are also great at indicating where shots and footsteps are coming from. Perhaps not as good as audiophile grade open back headphones but nevertheless impressive. A for gaming! With that said, I would definitely recommend using an amp for this application as the PS4 controller's is quite weak.

Aesthetics/Ergonomics - 6/10

Let's get this out of the way. Design-wise, I think these headphones are pretty ugly. I know this is completely subjective, and there it is.

I will most likely never use these headphones outside my home. They are simply far too cumbersome. The cable is too long for mobile listening (I'm 5'11). They don't come with a carrying case of any sort, which is fine given that they won't be moving around much. I have a relatively small head but these things literally double the horizontal footprint of my head. I can't put these on my neck and walk around because they don't fit in the space between my collarbone and my chin. Far too big to be considered portable. Granted, these are not designed to go everywhere with you, but there is still so much to like here.

Build Quality - 9/10

These things are German. Beyerdynamic made it a point to slap "Made in Germany" on the inside of the headband. They're built like tanks - everything about them is heavy. The cans feel heavy on my head. The plastic rings that hold the custom side plates in place are held in place by 4 (yes, 4) exquisitely machined micro bolts. The removable side plate is made of brushed aluminum. The cable (removable) is heavy. Tangling is a non-issue and the cables do not lock in place (unlike the Sennheiser Momentum) which is a great safety feature IMHO. The headband adjustment clamps require a "heavy" push in both directions in order to move them. The sliding bass ports require a firm push and snap into place very satisfactorily. The clamping force on my ears, at least when I first got them was heavy (stretched them out as many others did using a pillow). This general heaviness can be likened to driving a manual car with a heavy gearbox and clutch - cumbersome but at the same time oh so satisfying. I feel as though these would stand up a 6 year old's level of abuse.

Comfort - 7/10

The ear-cup opening on these headphones is huge. My ears (medium-large) fit inside easily in their entirety. They aren't even touching the inside of the cups. Nevertheless, I need to take breaks because these COP's are pretty large/heavy and my ears do tend to warm up after extended use. Still, there has been zero pain or discomfort to speak of because my ears are for the most part free  moving. Also I can't turn my head at any angle when resting on a pillow listening to these headphones. From time to time I also rotate the headband to the back of my neck after extended listening.

Yes, these are first world problems.

Sound Leakage/Isolation - 10/10

The headphones really shine in this regard - even at low volumes the isolation is excellent and there is very little leakage unless the cans are amped up to very unsafe levels. They're like sitting in a black box with your music. Excellent.

Sound Quality - 9/10

Man what a difference burn in made! Out of the box these had a very dark sound with very recessed mids. Now that the drivers have loosened up a bit the mids have really filled out and the sound is much warmer.  These headphones are quite forgiving when it comes to exposing weaknesses in low quality tracks. I'm not entirely sure why, because I can still certainly hear clear, detailed sound with uncompressed files.

Soundstage

Not all that impressive, but I will reserve judgment here until I have a good pair of open back headphones against which to make a comparison. These aren't as clear as some headphones because of the emphasis on bass, however with that said the bass doesn't drown out the other sounds either.

Bass

These headphones pound. Beyerdynamic makes no bones about catering to bassheads with this product. In terms of sheer bass quantity, these produce a warm, rich, punchy wall of low end goodness. The bass does get overwhelming with the bass ports fully open at times (I primarily use them to emphasize punch for EDM), but I cannot describe how convenient it is to just close them on the fly. At first, I thought the bass and mids were very muddy (think first gen V-Moda Crossfade LP but nowhere near as bad). However, once burned in, the bass became tight, crisp and clean.

When the bass notes stop (even with the ports fully open) in the song, there is no residual muddiness - these headphones have sharp reflexes and have proven to be quite versatile when it comes to tolerating demanding songs like . Everything sounds exactly as it should be.

It's worth noting that these headphones are BASS heavy when the bass ports are opened, and at first I did notice that with the bass slider set to "least" bass the low/mids sounded a bit strained but adequate burn in alleviated that.

These are the bass port settings that I gravitated toward during my testing:

Electro/House/Dubstep - Varied from fully open bass ports to 1 click from fully open.

Indie/Rock - Between 1 and 2 clicks from fully open

Classical - 3 clicks from fully open

Spoken Audiobooks - Between 2 and 3 clicks from fully open.

Mids

At first the lower registers were jumping all over the low/mids to the point where male vocalists sounded like they were singing into a garbled microphone through a tube from a different room. That has all changed now that everything has been broken in. Please forgive my n3wbiness here but it sounds as though the burn in period allowed for adequate separation of the bass from the mids. The mids seem to be much more flexible and present as compared to when they came out of the box. At this point, both the male and female vocalists on Above and Beyond's "Satellite/Stealing Time" acoustic mix sounded amazing. At first it sounded as though the male singer was singing at half volume compared to the female.

Highs

Out of the box this is where I think the COP's struggle slightly - perhaps this is the last bit of the puzzle that needs to be unlocked by yet more burning in or amping/EQ'ing appropriately? I tend to favour headphones that have a brighter overall sound with good representation of uppers/highs. These headphones responded admirably to EQ'ing, regardless of the device being used. Nevertheless, this represents a compromise and despite how natural the Instruments now sound, there are better headphones for representing upper mids/highs out there. Still, despite the general emphasis on "fun," the V-shaped sound signature and the general quality of the bass reproduction, the rest of the sound will not suffer as it does in other headphones (again, sorry to pick on the First gen Crossfade LP's, but they were atrocious for this very problem).

Conclusion - Overall 8/10

The real selling features of this headphone are as follows: 1) Non-gimmicky customizable bass ports, 2) A very compelling compromise between a "fun" and an "audiophile" level headphone from a company that is well established in both realms.

Has this worked? Yes, indeed.

I find myself EQ'ing on the fly with the bass ports every time I switch between genres, even between different maps on Battlefield - it makes that much of a difference and it makes listening to music effortless especially when multitasking. For those of us who like to tinker (we all do - who are we kidding) this is soooooo much fun! While I'm sure there are better headphones out there, these will keep me happy for quite some time. They're versatile enough to give me a sense of awe when I'm listening to music, and it's very difficult to quantify that.

Happy listening everyone! :)

Pros: Heavy duty construction, adjustable bass ports, stealthy looks, decent sound

Cons: Clamp, price

Out of the box, these guys are impressive. Killer looks, minimal packaging, obvious sturdy construction - in other words, German.

The sound was very good. They're easier to drive than most Beyer over-ears and they have a very good sound. I wouldn't say great. Coming out of my iPod Classic, the wider-than-average soundstage provided some excellent space for my live rock recordings. The bass was solid and got even better with my Fiio E5 - I imagine a heftier amp would do even better. The mids are so-so, not recessed in my ears but definitely not forward. The trebles were lacking, but they probably aren't supposed to be audiophile quality for the market these are targeted at anyway.

Overall I like the COPs, although the ~$200 price tag may be hard to justify for some. I got a great deal so they were worth it. I think a comparable sound for cheaper would be the M50s.

Hope this helps!

Pros: cant think of any

Cons: uncomfortable

Dont get why people are so excited about the ability to change the bass with the switches on the cups...for one you have to do it to both ears and they are very hard to move. if you have an amp/dac controling the bass that way is a better option for your headphone. These things totally dug in to my jaw.....put pressure on the eustachian tubes. The bass is totally untextured and sterile. Yes the bass is prominant but not in an enjoyable way. There was no sound stage or distinction. Sure, they are affordable but they'll damage your ears for sure.

Pros: Customizable appearance, customizable sound, great bass

Cons: slightly recessed mids, not bright highs as their DT990PRO

Great headphones for lovers of rock and dance music, especially contemporary recording ones which contain lot of around-40Hz bass sound. One of the most bass-headed cans among all beyers.

Easily worth the current price 199USD, but this is not for fans of flat cans lovers, treble lovers.

My Custom One Pro photos:

DIYed carbon pattern covers:
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Black

Custom One Pro is just the beginning of a complete new product family from beyerdynamic "Custom Series". The first truly customizable and interactive headphone in the world. The end user can change the sound, the style and the application any time after the purchase. Custom One Pro is the first model in the series for 2012. Designed and crafted in Germany by beyerdynamic for Pro Users, Consumers and Prosumers. Use with portable and professional devices. One headphone many applications. Change the sound, the style and the look. The CUSTOM series is one-of-a-kind, as it allows you to redesign and re-engineer your headphones at any time, making them the perfect match for whatever the situation or your mood demands. This is truly a product for the new headphone 2.0 generation.

BindingElectronics
Brandbeyerdynamic
ColorBlack
EAN4010118709029
FeatureCustom Sound Slider to change the sound anytime (closed, semi open, open design) Customizable Style: easily change color of the headband, ear pads, ear cups plates design, detachable cable... Crazy or Cool ? Style and look! New Velocity Drivers at 16 ohm, suitable for smart phone, ipad, tablets, home audio or pro audio devices Variable Noise Reduction, adjust the Sound Slider for deeper bass and block out noises, or adjust to hear just a little ouside sound, you design it! Quality. Made in Germany. Two year warranty by beyerdynamic USA
LabelBeyerdynamic