Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Beyer Dynamic DT 880 Premium 600 OHM Headphones › Beyer Dynamic DT 880 Premium 600 OHM Headphones Reviews

Beyer Dynamic DT 880 Premium 600 OHM Headphones Reviews

Showing 4 4-star reviews (see all 11 reviews)

Zombie_X

Awesome Reference Headphone

Hi all, Zombie_X here with another review! This won't be as in depth as the T1's review but I will give you all the needed info.  The Beyerdynamic DT880 sound can be classified as being treble oriented with slightly recessed mids (will get tot hat later) and having slow or muddy bass (will get to that as well).  ___________________________________________________________  ___________________________________________________________  GEAR USED:  - Source: PC via Pop-Pulse SPDIF-II (to Optical), Marantz VC6001 CD Player  - Amp: Woo Audio WA3+, Audio-GD ROC  - DAC: Music Hall DAC25.2 (with NOS Mullard E88CC tube)  - IC's : ZXAC custom...
dukja

Excellent sonic imager

Pros: soundstage, focusing, clarity

Cons: less impact of bass

It takes no effort at all to "see" the virtual soundstage with DT880/600ohm.  The soundstage is deep and wide with pin-point-like focusing.  In the mean time, the integrity of the all frequency range is well maintained which results highly realistic and vivid embodiments of sonic sources.  It gives me a feast of sonic "motion picture" and brings me the unbeatable enjoyment (up to now).   One of my DT880/600 is recabled to balanced cabling.  Powered by Audio-GD's Phoenix and Ref-1, the transparency, details, and vast soundstage wowed me  for a long time.  I always thought that may be due to the balanced system.  Recently, I found that the SE DT880/600 with Decware CSP-2 may be...
HeretixAevum

I can see why it's considered a classic, but not quite what I'm after

Pros: Quality Bass, Neutral mids, Articulate and extended treble, Solid build quality, All day comfort, Serviceable, Fairly priced

Cons: Bass and treble quantities not optimal, Lack of warmth / Analytical, Earpad wearing, Headband adjustment very prone to wearing out

Build Quality and Design   Beyerdynamic headphones are often touted as being built like tanks, and I have to agree that they are very solid indeed, but not without their flaws. The main body of the DT880 is a combination of plastic and what I assume is aluminium. The grille and forks are very solid aluminium, with the latter having a subtle brush effect which adds a nice feeling of quality. The premium version which I have has some aluminium wings (also brushed) on the headband which I really like, and the "DT880" badge on the grille is another nice addition which justifies the 'premium' name. The remainder of the cups and headband assembly is a solid, dark grey plastic which gives...
TomKure

Extended, clear sound with a bit of an edge to the treble

Pros: Very close to neutral; deep bass (not the deepest)

Cons: Sometimes slightly sibilant, HD650 has more detail and speed with no sibilance at all (imo)

More than adequate sound considering the price I got them for (~$300). Clearer sound then the HD650, sounds like the DT has slightly deeper bass also. But I cannot help but feel like the HD650 are slightly faster in mids and highs and therefore have also more detail in these areas, even though the DT has more treble. Sometimes the treble sounds like it is too pronounced, but it is more than tolerable, often rather enjoyable. I prefer the HD650, but often listen to the DT880 to enjoy the enhanced sound clarity (more treble, less lower midrange/higher bass compared to the HD650). I like them. The sound just "makes sense".