Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW › Reviews › kayandjohn's Review

Hear new things in old music

A Review On: Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW

Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW

kayandjohn

Pros: Good sound; great comfort; great looks

Cons: Slight hiss; steep price

Beats claims, "Music as the artist intended," and "You're not hearing all the music.." This leads me to expect that I will make new discoveries in familiar music when I listen through Beats headphones.

I indeed have heard new things in old music with Beats, listening to songs I have listened to DOZENS of times on my other headphones (Sennheiser HD 598, Parrot Zik, Apple In-Ear (their best), Klipsch s4i, and others). In about 25% of familiar songs I hear something new with Beats, spanning genres of classical, hip hop, electronic, and others.

I take this to mean that the headphone sound quality is at least comparable or perhaps better than these other headphones. It is also much better than that of the original Beats Studio. The headphones are my most comfortable and are awesome at noise cancellation. While being large enough to be "over ear," they are small enough to be light and comfortable and do not fall off your head when doing such repetitive motions as scrubbing or vacuuming.

One quirk is that the headphones are turned on by plugging in their cord... an unfortunate result is that if you just take the headphones off, they remain on, unless you pull out the cord (or turn off the power switch). Leaving the cord in without turning them off depletes the battery and requires recharge.

But I recognize that they are not the high-accuracy headphones that provide the best listening experience, with transparency, good sound stage, and precise spectrum.  Hence, I have also purchased the similarly-priced NAD VISO HP50. I'm looking for diversity of listening experience as I augment my headphone collection to 20.

Value:  3/5
Audio Quality:  4/5
Design: 4/5
Comfort: 5/5

I think your hearing is bad..... Your a brand name guy not quality..
These headphones have turned me into an aficionado of both hip hop music and Beats products. I have just purchased both the wireless version of these headphones as well as the Beats Pro headphones, taking advantage of the "Buy 2 Beats for 10% off" special ending Feb. 8, 2014. I have also purchased the Beats premium audio in my new FIAT Abarth (fabulous!) and am subscribed to the new Beats Music streaming service.      Let drop some Dynaudio in that and now you will know what it sound quality :P

Maybe I do have bad hearing... I didn't think so. I just find the (new, version 2, 2013) Beats Studio comparable to the Sennheiser HD 598 and Parrot Zik and NAD hp50 that I have, in terms of listening enjoyment... Each is different, but I could not rate one above another in quality.

However, if there are particular listening tests that you could suggest that I should try to better assess the Beats, please let me know... I'll even procure new source material if needed. If there are "yes / no" tests you can suggest (e.g., does the trumpet seem about 10' away and positioned between 1 and 2 o'clock, or does the second note on that bass have a slap not heard in the first) that would be even better.

I promise to try them on Beats vs the others I mentioned and report here.

Thanks, bonami2.
I just dont like this company... They Build there name with marketing and look.. While selling overpriced crap and now they have money to improve...  Im not an audiophile that look at detail.. Im the guy who look at the root of a company.. or try...
bonami2, i can understand not liking the company. There is an interesting article in gizmodo magazine describing how Monster, orginally a purveyor of heavily-marketed (and marked up) cables, wanted to expand, found that the speaker market was already saturated, and sought out Interscope Research and its affiliated folks, Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre, to move into the headphone market. In doing this, they became perhaps the first to attend to eye-catching design and celebrity aura to market their headphones. Article is here: http://gizmodo.com/5981823/beat-by-dre-the-inside-story-of-how-monster-lost-the-world

Technical design and production were done by the father/son team that was Monster; ownership of all, including the intellectual property of the design, was assumed by Interscope. The two (Monster and Dr. Dre) later separated, and now Monster designs the DNA headphones, while Dr. Dre has produced these new Beats Studio 2013, which consistently fare well in objective reviews with less glamorous headphones.

Many folks look not only for sound quality, but also design utility (comfort, portability) and attractiveness in headphones critera that they don't apply to speakers. In fact, several folks on this forum have stated that the NAD VISO hp50, very highly regarded for audio quality, are too ugly to wear in public (NAD preemptively counters this by saying on the box, "Because we don't care about your lifestyle. We care about your ears.")

In any event, it seems to me that the original Beats Studio headphones 1) "commoditized" the market for headphones that were attractive, not just functional, and 2) overreached themselves with the first Beats Studio (NOT these) that were of significantly poorer sound quality than others in their price range.

These are much better and continue to delight me.

i heard about monster and them...  Even if they are better this doest impress me.... They scam to start there company  Monster is another company that sell overpriced product... ( HDMI GOLD PLATED at high price)  and etc... At least they now sell good sounding product..

Sennheiser is here since 1945 and a german brand and they sell aircraft product too....   And these NAD look nicer than the beat for me....

IDK im getting a steelserie headphone that not for sound quality and it comfortable and foldable for 40$ for gaming  duh   so if we look at all these company we realise that their design are a bit pricier for the comfort ahah
Beats has definetly improved over the studios. Definetly not the best for the price, but certainly not the worst.